• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence - 2009-10 In-season Thread

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    pc will pick up 2 pts
    bank on it
    Note that he didn't say when they will get 2 points. So, if PC wins 1 game or gets 2 ties between now and the end of the season, he'll be right.
    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

I'm afraid that I helped to contribute to the poor showing at the Coffin. I had a great time elsewhere until I watched the game on Cox.

Mike Logan- Great job as always. Please do yourself a favor and fly solo from here on out.

Bob Bellemore- Does a goalie need to see the puck? Thank you for the insight!

Sonny- Stop. Really, stop!
      If she is not spitting out cliche after cliche then she is telling us something that is so obvious that it's insulting. Will a PC goal in the final minutes of 4-3 game that they are losing, springboard the team into an opportunity for overtime and points?
      I wish that this was the dumbest thing that she said all night but it was actually one of the best.
      Note to Sonny- Please don't ask a player in between periods how important a win is at this stage of the season when they only have TWO in Hockeyeast and are about to face another top ten tem the next night before A MONTH OFF.
      What did you think that he was going to say? What did you think that we the viewers thought he was going to say?

I will NOT miss another game all season if only to not have to listen to poor Mike Logan suffer through a broadcast like that again. He is a true professional who took it all in stride. Honestly, I don't know how he kept from laughing at different points when jumping back from his broadcast partners.

It was as painful to listen to game in spots as it was to listen to the Cox/PC spot about our local kid from EP who "doesn't believe that things roll down hill". W-T-F? "The buck stops here".
      Ok, if you say so. Now what do you mean that you don't believe that things roll down hill? Do you not believe in gravity? Are you questioning it's existence? Did you write this yourself or did someone tell you it was a great closing line? It makes you sound silly. Please have them cancel the spot or change the ending. Just saying.

I promise to be there from now on!!! You don't need to torture people to get them to come to a game. Again, no offense to Mr. Logan. I think HE was good.

Jon got some face time after the disallowed goal. Glad is wasn't in high def!!!!

Nice effort by the Friars. I thought that the UNH game was the one game that they could win this weekend but they came up short. Let's hope for the same effort tonight.

Comment

The hockey program cannot be revived under the team of Driscoll and Army. Army is beyond pathetic and Driscoll is absolutely clueless as to how to generate enthusiam for the program. It is a shame that PC plays in such a good league with such great hockey schools and plays before virtually no fans in such a depressing environment. Imagine bringing a recruit to watch a game at Schneider? I much rather watch PC play on the road than at home. It doesn't even seem like a Hockey East game when it's played at Schneider. Nothing will change until fans demand it, and now there doesn't seem to be anyone that cares.

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
          The hockey program cannot be revived under the team of Driscoll and Army. Army is beyond pathetic and Driscoll is absolutely clueless as to how to generate enthusiam for the program. It is a shame that PC plays in such a good league with such great hockey schools and plays before virtually no fans in such a depressing environment. Imagine bringing a recruit to watch a game at Schneider? I much rather watch PC play on the road than at home. It doesn't even seem like a Hockey East game when it's played at Schneider. Nothing will change until fans demand it, and now there doesn't seem to be anyone that cares.

Dillon,

I agree with you up until the last statement about the fans. The problem is the powers that be at PC give a rats ***** about the fans. Take, for example, the music between plays. Does it need to be played at hearing damaging levels? It is impossible to carry on a conversation with the person next to you with out yelling. This has been addressed through calls to the pressbox, letters and emails to the coach and AD, and conversation with the rink manager. Still, for the last 3-4 years NO ONE ON PC's side cares. I love the line it gets the players pumped up. I can see how Sweet Caroline with a minut to go in a 4-3 game puts a player in the zone to just go out and get it done. Spare me.
          As far as the empty arena, I personally have suggested to use the Pawsox model. The Pawsox give away tons of free general admission seats all season long. While they lose $ on the tickets, everyone comes and buys food anyway. Parents say wow this was cheaper then a movie.
          There are passionate fans. We post on here we travel to away games. Unffortunetly our passion is not matched on their side.
          Providence College
          National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

How come a $ $ gets five *****? Inquiring minds want to know!
            Providence College
            National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
              It is a shame that PC plays in such a good league with such great hockey schools and plays before virtually no fans in such a depressing environment.
              Good programs draw fans. Winning teams draw fans. PC used to draw so many fans, it was the hottest ticket in Rhode Island. Sadly that was two decades ago.

In the words of Bill Parcells, "You are what you are."

Comment

91 -- great analysis of the Cox broadcast. I DVR'd it and flipped through it late night. Did you also watch the coach's brilliant inbetween periods analysis? Man those kids really looked stoked the way he rolls his DVR out to show them what they just played through for the last 20 minutes. Mike Logan is as good a hockey play by play man as there is -- he deserves more than to be paired with Bellemore, who is just awful, and Sunny, whom the best thing you can say has a better speaking voice than the other PC girl who does the "Friar Flash" radio updates that I hear listening to WEEI while driving around. It is amazing they think utilizing them is going to get anyone interested or motivated in attending a PC event, but that's Bounty Bob Driscoll for you.

As far as the game goes, they played well in spurts but it wasn't enough.

While there's blame to go around, Beaudry was also downright awful on two of the goals. Funny how Tyler got all the blame when he didn't deserve it but those two goals -- the third and fourth UNH goals -- were just inexcusable. The third was embarrassing, the fourth was another bad angle goal that completely sank the team's attempt at a comeback
                Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 12-12-2009, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Jon, Jon, Jon, You suck!

FWIW, Schneider is one of my favorite places to see a game in HE, probably just after Matthews. I wish the team would get better so the atmosphere would improve.
                  BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                  -
                  Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                    Jon, Jon, Jon, You suck!

FWIW, Schneider is one of my favorite places to see a game in HE, probably just after Matthews. I wish the team would get better so the atmosphere would improve.
                    parcells says, "it is what it is"

good game, will still get 2 pts

Comment

I'm guessing that they will not.
                      BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                      -
                      Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Belichick says 'it is what it is' and when will these 2 points come? January?
                        According to ZQuax, PC dominated UNH for 2/3 of the game, so they should probably have gotten 1.2 points last night...
                        Last edited by WildShawn; 12-12-2009, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Granted, I have not been to many games there, but I was at the game last night, and the sad thing is that it was the biggest student turnout I have seen at PC so far. How often is the band at the games? I really liked their presence at the game last night and I thought they were good.

As for the game, I agree with The Zlax45. PC played really well in the first and 3rd periods, but the 2nd really killed them. Their first goal was a thing of beauty, and I liked the way the Friars kept battling. It's a tough loss, but I think there are certainly some positives to be taken out of that game.
                          Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                          -dggoddard

Comment

It will be nice to see the Freds tonight and the PFD. That is if I don't change my mind and go to some HS games instead.

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing this years edition for the first time tonight. Historically PC is usually up (with one or two exceptions that I recall) for the Eagles at the coffin, so I am hoping for a good game.

Parcells said many things. Another was, "You are what your record says you are." That's probably the one that matters. I hope for a big Friar win tonight to see if we can improve on that record.

Comment

I may be biased, but I thought the third was as much UNH coasting as PC playing well. The first though, yes, was all Providence.

I will say it was a nice turnout by the students, maybe one of the biggest I've seen there when the program isn't doing well (usually it was the band and the kid in the helmet). Someone might want to instruct them to pay a little more attention to what's going on, though. Late in the third, one kid spent about 3 minutes harassing UNH's goalie, calling him Foster repeatedly, until play stopped, and DiGirolamo skated towards the far boards. The look on his face was great.
                                Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                                -Fred Shero

Comment

Working...
                                X