Tardy UNO at Colorado College Sat 18 Dec/Sun 19 Dec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tardy UNO at Colorado College Sat 18 Dec/Sun 19 Dec

I have to say that I really didn't enjoy watching UNO at all on either night. They lost their cool easily. They take a lot of little shots behind the play and after the whistle (especially #22...forgot his name). They play a slow and boring style, at least from what I saw this weekend. On Saturday, CC was able to use their quickness and a lot of hard work to draw penalties and to make the game pretty entertaining. They were smart enough all weekend to not retaliate and put themselves in the box, so I was happy with the discipline CC played with. Honestly, I'm pretty ok with a split, but after the effort CC had on Saturday, Sunday's game was a disappointment.

To their credit, Sunday was a perfect road game for UNO: Bore the opposing team and fans to death, win the game. So from that standpoint it was quite effective, and I certainly cannot argue with that. But if they play like that all of the time, it's not a team I would pay to watch very often no matter how much they win.
    Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
    -dggoddard

Comment

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
      I have to say that I really didn't enjoy watching UNO at all on either night. They lost their cool easily. They take a lot of little shots behind the play and after the whistle (especially #22...forgot his name). They play a slow and boring style, at least from what I saw this weekend. On Saturday, CC was able to use their quickness and a lot of hard work to draw penalties and to make the game pretty entertaining. They were smart enough all weekend to not retaliate and put themselves in the box, so I was happy with the discipline CC played with. Honestly, I'm pretty ok with a split, but after the effort CC had on Saturday, Sunday's game was a disappointment.

To their credit, Sunday was a perfect road game for UNO: Bore the opposing team and fans to death, win the game. So from that standpoint it was quite effective, and I certainly cannot argue with that. But if they play like that all of the time, it's not a team I would pay to watch very often no matter how much they win.
      Agree with you, behind the play and just after the whistle they are a bit dirty!
      World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

Friday sounds like UNO paid for its "dirty" in spades, and I wouldn't think you'd have anythimg to complain about. Saturday, UNO put more than 40 shots on on goal - on Olympic ice. That's a bit hard to square with being slow and boring. But if you didn't like UNO, you gonna HATE Bemidji something fierce.

Comment

Originally posted by CCtig View Post
          Good deal breed, I'll look for and find you Sunday and share a beer with you! Cheers!
          Sorry we didn't connect - We were the obnoxious ones behind the Maverick Bench
          UNO Maverick Hockey - It doesn't get any better than this!

Comment

Man you were not at the same game I was Sunday - It was up and down up tempo hockey - the problem was that CC ran out of gas about half way through the second period - Clearly they didn't have the conditioning to play a team like UNO for 3 periods - Here UNO had the altitude and the exhausting Saturday game when they were on the penalty kill forever and they came out and simply wore out CC - - You don't like that style of hockey then wait till you see how Beminji plays!!

Comment

Originally posted by breed View Post
              Sorry we didn't connect - We were the obnoxious ones behind the Maverick Bench
              My fault, I screwed up and left my note at home so did not know where you were sitting, and by gosh there were plently of UNO fans in attendance. Actually, I was not too far away from you, but glad you had fun on Sunday! Merry Christmas!!
              World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

Originally posted by MavRick View Post
                Friday sounds like UNO paid for its "dirty" in spades, and I wouldn't think you'd have anythimg to complain about. Saturday, UNO put more than 40 shots on on goal - on Olympic ice. That's a bit hard to square with being slow and boring. But if you didn't like UNO, you gonna HATE Bemidji something fierce.
                SOG don't necessarily indicate the pace a team is playing at. Much of the game was played in the CC zone, so I think that is more of a reason why there were so many shots by UNO. And yes, they did pay for their dirty play on Saturday, and to the credit of the UNO fans, I didn't hear any complaining about the lopsided number of penalty calls.

Originally posted by breed View Post
                Man you were not at the same game I was Sunday - It was up and down up tempo hockey - the problem was that CC ran out of gas about half way through the second period - Clearly they didn't have the conditioning to play a team like UNO for 3 periods - Here UNO had the altitude and the exhausting Saturday game when they were on the penalty kill forever and they came out and simply wore out CC - - You don't like that style of hockey then wait till you see how Beminji plays!!
                I don't know how anyone could consider Sunday an up tempo game in any sense. It was perhaps the slowest game I've seen all year (and I've only missed one game so far), so I stand by my statement. Again, I also stand by my statement that it was a very good road game for UNO, and they were very effective and more than earned their win. But if CC played that style, I might not have season tickets.

CC did not have the stamina this past weekend and I'm not sure why. Actually, this is something that bothers me because it has been happening a lot this year on the second night. For a young, up tempo team, this is a major concern.
                Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                -dggoddard

Comment

Originally posted by CCtig View Post
                  Agree with you, behind the play and just after the whistle they are a bit dirty!
                  A Blais coached team???

I can hardly believe it?!

Comment

SOG don't necessarily indicate the pace a team is playing at. Much of the game was played in the CC zone, so I think that is more of a reason why there were so many shots by UNO. And yes, they did pay for their dirty play on Saturday, and to the credit of the UNO fans, I didn't hear any complaining about the lopsided number of penalty calls.

I don't know how anyone could consider Sunday an up tempo game in any sense. It was perhaps the slowest game I've seen all year (and I've only missed one game so far), so I stand by my statement. Again, I also stand by my statement that it was a very good road game for UNO, and they were very effective and more than earned their win. But if CC played that style, I might not have season tickets.

CC did not have the stamina this past weekend and I'm not sure why. Actually, this is something that bothers me because it has been happening a lot this year on the second night. For a young, up tempo team, this is a major concern.
                    Guess we will just disagree then - After watching Michigan Tech's grinding play I really enjoyed the speed and break neck pace of CC - To me that is fun hockey to watch. What may have made a difference Sunday was that UNO was checking much more tightly without incurring the penalties they did on Saturday. That slowed down the CC forwards and affected the pace of the game. Beminji plays much less wide open game and according to Blais he doesn't even know what to call it - He said it was less dump and chase then "dump and retrieve"

Comment

I don't know how anyone could consider Sunday an up tempo game in any sense. It was perhaps the slowest game I've seen all year (and I've only missed one game so far), so I stand by my statement.
                      Agreed. That was definitely the slowest game of the season. It reminded me of some recent Badger teams - big and slow, but very talented and very well coached. I imagine that as Blais continues to get his players and systems installed they will get even better.

I'm surprised about the comments about Bemidji. The past few years when I've watched them in the NCAAs they've always impressed me with their speed and high energy / high tempo style of play. I'm surprised that they've changed that much in one season.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                        I'm surprised about the comments about Bemidji. The past few years when I've watched them in the NCAAs they've always impressed me with their speed and high energy / high tempo style of play. I'm surprised that they've changed that much in one season.
                        Bemidji just skates around in circles and nothing really happens.

Its one thing to come into the NCAA's all jacked up as the underdog and quite another thing to try and grind out 2-1 victories in the WCHA against far more talented opponents every weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                          Bemidji just skates around in circles and nothing really happens.

Its one thing to come into the NCAA's all jacked up as the underdog and quite another thing to try and grind out 2-1 victories in the WCHA against far more talented opponents every weekend.
                          Agreed. But going from the style of play I've seen from Bemidji in the past - absolutely flying around - to an even slower game than the spectatularly slow UNO/CC games...wow. That would be an incredible change in style in a very short amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                            Agreed. But going from the style of play I've seen from Bemidji in the past - absolutely flying around - to an even slower game than the spectatularly slow UNO/CC games...wow. That would be an incredible change in style in a very short amount of time.
                            I don't know about you, Rich, but after watching UNO this past weekend, I suspect that maybe UNO had more to do with the slow pace of that series than Bemidji did.
                            -dggoddard

Comment

Working...
                            X