X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. III

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
    The scouts seems to love Bradley. It would not surprise me at all if he gets scooped up in a late round. I am quite excited for his arrival, hopefully in 2012. I wonder if SA would be willing to hold him until 2012 if we only have 2 d-men come in next year.

On a related note, I love that we already have a basically full class for 2012 (which should represent a very nice talent influx). I am assuming that Miller is not coming in on a full scholly. Of the current juniors who will be leaving (not counting Bergin, who hopefully will use his redshirt year), Cullen, AAG, Smith, and York are likely on full schollies (even though he hasn't played much at RPI, Smith was recruited pretty early and switched junior leagues, seemingly at SA's request). Rabbani is probably not on a full schollie. So if we pair up incoming recruits; Kasdorf-York, Smith-Zalewski, Bradley-AAG, Miller-Rabbani, that still leaves Cullen's scholarship (which is certainly full) open.
    My figuring was that only York and Cullen are on full scholarship, but as I always write, it is guesswork. However, Malchuk should be added to that list.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

ehf: Obviously there is no way to know for sure what will happen, but the objective evidence about JL is that he is coming in here with a record along the lines of what Murley and Polacek had. Going back to the late 90's, there have NOT been any examples of players with a track record like JL's who simply flopped at RPI (there have of course been busts, but predictions of those players' success were not based on objective evidence like predictions about JL are). Then again, there are simply not that many players out there, period, who have had junior track records like JL.
      Let's also consider that JL is spending another year to develop maturity and his defensive game. Granted I am not too naïve to not realize "put up or shut up" and may just be saying the right things, but I think if he is working on this, that says a lot about his character. Chase Polacek has probably one of the best characters on the team (hence why he was named an A), and I was not following RPI hockey to know about Matt Murley, but I would assume the same is true with him. I think that's what Coach is looking for with his recruits.

Comment

ehf: Obviously there is no way to know for sure what will happen, but the objective evidence about JL is that he is coming in here with a record along the lines of what Murley and Polacek had. Going back to the late 90's, there have NOT been any examples of players with a track record like JL's who simply flopped at RPI (there have of course been busts, but predictions of those players' success were not based on objective evidence like predictions about JL are). Then again, there are simply not that many players out there, period, who have had junior track records like JL.
        I am not questioning his ability at the level that he is playing. If he can be half the player that Polacek and Murley is/was, I will be happy. I just would have liked to see him upgrade his league this year and show similar numbers. Than I would be all over this kid.
        I trust SA's judgement, and the fact that he could have had him a year ago and decided to wait tells me that JL had some growing up to do.
        I hope that he comes in a mature young man who is willing to give the kind of effort that the likes of Polacek and Murley have given.
        I am sure that if he does that, the offense will take care of itself.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
          I am not questioning his ability at the level that he is playing. If he can be half the player that Polacek and Murley is/was, I will be happy. I just would have liked to see him upgrade his league this year and show similar numbers. Than I would be all over this kid.
          I trust SA's judgement, and the fact that he could have had him a year ago and decided to wait tells me that JL had some growing up to do.
          I hope that he comes in a mature young man who is willing to give the kind of effort that the likes of Polacek and Murley have given.
          To be fair, the apparent changes in his attitude seem to be having a drastic effect on his team's (and not just individual) success this year.

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
            The one glaring thing that will be missing that really can't be fixed is probably going to be senior leadership outside of Allen York and maybe AAG. That's actually the biggest area, in my view, that Joel Malchuk's return helps the team. Possible captain?
            Absolutely-Malchuk will add a lot as will Bergin still being here. We really have to consider him one of the elder statesmen afte his reshirt year. We will be a young team, but I feel we will be a very talented team-much like what I saw back in the early 80's.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Koudys almost certainly. Leonard, Bradley, and Kasdorf are ranked, but are less likely to be taken. Curadi, Haggerty, and Neal are also possible.
              I expect 3 of those on your list to be taken. Not necessarily in the first 4 rounds but taken none the less. Koudys by the 4th round, Neal in the 5th-6th round and Curadi as a late pick. I would not be surprised at all to see one more from Leonard, Bradley or Kasdorf make the list as a fourth draftee. This is one of the strongest groups we have had in some time overall. We don't have the obvious Pirri/D'Amigo picks but the depth is there this year.

Comment

EHF-I understand your concerns. My only concern is handling the academics and college atmosphere at RPI. His hockey skills will take care of themselves. I suspect that 12 months from now we may only be talking about how much more he can improve in his upperclass years. I have the same opinion of his hockey abilities now that I had as far back as 3 years ago-he may well be pure gold on the ice for us. I had feared he might be our only offensive threat and garner all the opponents attention-but with the rest of the boys coming-there is going to be a lot of things for other teams to have to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  EHF-I understand your concerns. My only concern is handling the academics and college atmosphere at RPI. His hockey skills will take care of themselves. I suspect that 12 months from now we may only be talking about how much more he can improve in his upperclass years. I have the same opinion of his hockey abilities now that I had as far back as 3 years ago-he may well be pure gold on the ice for us. I had feared he might be our only offensive threat and garner all the opponents attention-but with the rest of the boys coming-there is going to be a lot of things for other teams to have to worry about.
                  Thanks Doc, coming from you, I will stop worrying about his hockey and start worrying about his academics.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

Thanks Doc, coming from you, I will stop worrying about his hockey and start worrying about his academics.
                    Just so long as we don't have to go through that whole SAT soap opera again...

Comment

I worry about everyone's academics at RPI. From my distant memory even gym is hard there. There are no easy classes like there are at some schools that I won't mention.

Comment

I worry about everyone's academics at RPI. From my distant memory even gym is hard there. There are no easy classes like there are at some schools that I won't mention.
                        Gym? I don't recall that class... nor do I recall any sort of swim test...

Comment

But athletes didn't have to take gym, at least that is my recollection. (Also ROTC members and coeds didn't take gym.) I don't know the situation now.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Gym? I don't recall that class... nor do I recall any sort of swim test...
                            I guess that answers my previous question.

I vividly recall the swim test. I also recall the sit-up, running, etc. test, especially the chinups. There was 5'3" or so RB who couldn't reach the bar and the teacher there was Garry Kearns, all 5'1" of him jumping up and showing how to do one-handed chinups. (Hockey coach musn't have been a full time job back then.)
                            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-15-2011, 03:51 PM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              I guess that answers my previous question.

I vividly recall the swim test. I also recall the sit-up, running, etc. test, especially the chinups. There was 5'3" or so RB who couldn't reach the bar and the teacher there was Garry Kearns, all 5'1" of him jumping up and showing how to do one-handed chinups. (Hockey coach musn't have been a full time job back then.)
                              Oh boy do I remember these. I had no problem with the swim test-all you had to do was swim the length of the '86 pool forward and return on your back. The sit ups and running also were no problem but the chin ups were just not my forte. And yes I remember coach Kearns-I thought he was 5'3"-but he was one physically fit fellow who could skate and hit as hard as guys much bigger. Not to belabor the point-but back in the 60's i honestly cannot remember a course that was easy. I still don't understand how I passed Organic Chem Lab or Physics Lab-I never knew what the heck I was doing there.

Comment

[QUOTE=redhead18;5033790

Losing Chase and Tyler will sting but someone that I havent seen mentioned yet that in my opinion will hurt losing more is Brutlag, he is an absolute warrior night in and night out. Im thrilled Malchuk is returning I think he falls into that same category, wouldnt mind seeing the "C" on the front of his sweater next season.[/QUOTE] I think Lee, Rabbani and O'Grady can and will easily pick up where Brutlag leaves off. I agree Brut leads by example every night.
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X