X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. III

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Got to get him back in the line up for that. i think the odds are real good though. He just needs a game where he gets really ******ed off at someone. i wonder how many ECAC forwards will be crashing the net knowing he may be around somewhere?
    Quite a few, in order to draw a ticky-tack penalty.

Plus, the seven game suspension (OK, he was paroled for one) should count for something towards trying to get to 100...

Comment

I really agree with all of this-plus I think Laliberte and Neal will add a lot of offense from freshmen. I think if everyone stays the year and we can avoid a rash of injuries, we are looking at an improving situation. Polacek does so much besides score that he will be missed, but i like this incoming freshman class for offense and i don't think we are sacrificing any defense.
      The one glaring thing that will be missing that really can't be fixed is probably going to be senior leadership outside of Allen York and maybe AAG. That's actually the biggest area, in my view, that Joel Malchuk's return helps the team. Possible captain?
      Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

We need(and i think we will finally have) a nice mix on defense. We should have at least 2 offensive defensemen and a couple of big strong defensive hitters. As far as i am concerned the key will be how well they can move the puck out of the zone-something we have not done well most years. I have not seen Luke play-I am assuming the banging defensive part is there but i just have no handle on how well he can do the other things. If he can move well and cover some ground, we may be very well set on defense.
        At the game I attended back in November, Coach Monty noted that Luke had been gaining more offensive confidence. He was doing pretty well with the breakout. Granted I didn't see too much offense at all, as it was very much a D-man's game (the final score was 1-0, and that goal was within the first 3 minutes of the game). I'm sure he is doing much better now with the break-out playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          My guess is that we can expect about the same from JL and Neal that we got from D'Amigo and Pirri last season. The bigger question to me is what will we get from Haggerty and Schroeder who are both younger, but on a similar level. I think that our group of five forwards has the potential to be the best class of that size since those entering in 1982.
          SA mentioned he expects to put Haggerty on one of the top 2 lines next season. He will be a solid player and will have the least amount of trouble adjusting to the college game. Remember he is playing against college level competition this season. I can see Schroeder progressing similar to the way Chase did. Then you still have the scoring machines of Laliberte, Neal and McGowan who will be older freshmen at 20-21 years old when they arrive on campus in the fall. Probably be a small adjustment period with these guys but overall I see the offense improving.

Losing Chase and Tyler will sting but someone that I havent seen mentioned yet that in my opinion will hurt losing more is Brutlag, he is an absolute warrior night in and night out. Im thrilled Malchuk is returning I think he falls into that same category, wouldnt mind seeing the "C" on the front of his sweater next season.

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
            The one glaring thing that will be missing that really can't be fixed is probably going to be senior leadership outside of Allen York and maybe AAG. That's actually the biggest area, in my view, that Joel Malchuk's return helps the team. Possible captain?
            I agree that we will be lacking the senior leadership next season that we have this year. I am not nearly is familiar with the players as you are, but I expect Malchuk and/or AAG to be the captain.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

redhead18,

Any news about the Gunnery's game from yesterday?
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

redhead18,

And for those in the CD, the Gunnery will be playing at Albany Academy on Saturday (2/19) at 3:30. Should be enough time to make it home for RPI's game (but not enough time to make it to the North Country (unless you drive reeeal fast).
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-15-2011, 07:39 AM.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                  SA mentioned he expects to put Haggerty on one of the top 2 lines next season. He will be a solid player and will have the least amount of trouble adjusting to the college game. Remember he is playing against college level competition this season. I can see Schroeder progressing similar to the way Chase did. Then you still have the scoring machines of Laliberte, Neal and McGowan who will be older freshmen at 20-21 years old when they arrive on campus in the fall. Probably be a small adjustment period with these guys but overall I see the offense improving.

Losing Chase and Tyler will sting but someone that I havent seen mentioned yet that in my opinion will hurt losing more is Brutlag, he is an absolute warrior night in and night out. Im thrilled Malchuk is returning I think he falls into that same category, wouldnt mind seeing the "C" on the front of his sweater next season.
                  The biggest loss, however, will be Jeff Foss, who is probably our most consistent player. He's commonly overlooked, even when we were going to have The A Team until D'Amigo bolted, resulting in The Eh Team.

Do you think that our recruits, or perhaps Pat Koudys, will be making any noise in the NHL draft come June?

Comment

redhead18,

On Monday, the Gunnery Highlanders lost to the Salisbury Crimson Knights 2-1. Jake Wood had an assist.

Wood's line is now 22-10-16-26-?

Comment

Code:
                      15 Jacob Laliberté     LC Cornwall Colts (CHL)            09/15/90 5'09" 175 Rockland ON          55-56-66-122- 20 02/17/11 #819
                      22 Matt Neal            C Stouffville Spirit (OJHL)       11/22/91 5'10" 192 Barrie ON            50-40-60-100- 20 
                                                                                                   playoffs              0- 0- 0-  0-  0 TBD      #843
                                                                                                   total                50-40-60-100- 20 
                      27 Mark McGowan        LW Oakville Blades (OJHL)          05/08/90 6'02" 195 Etobicoke ON         45-25-30- 55- 50 
                                                                                                   playoffs              0- 0- 0-  0-  0 TBD      #846
                                                                                                   total                45-25-30- 55- 50 
                       9 Zach Schroeder      RC St Thomas Academy (Classic Sub) 09/07/92 5'09" 165 Prior Lake MN        22-18-27- 45-  6 02/15/11 #839
                      10 Curtis Leonard      LD Wellington Dukes (OJHL)         09/23/92 6'03" 180 Napanee ON           48- 2-20- 22- 20
                                                                                                   playoffs              0- 0- 0-  0-  0 TBD      #814
                                                                                                   total                48- 2-20- 22- 20 
                      21 Ryan Haggerty       RC USNTDP U-18                     03/04/93 6'00" 186 Stamford CT          38- 7-13- 20- 20 02/25/11 #849
                       5 Luke Curadi         LD Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)  05/14/91 6'05" 250 Cheshire CT          34- 2- 9- 11- 88 02/18/11 #837

2011 or 2012
                      26 Mark Miller          F Omaha Lancers (USHL)            07/26/92 5'11" 183 Massena NY           39- 4- 3-  7- 13 02/18/11 #852
                       3 Chris Bradley       LD Youngstown Phantoms (USHL)      05/20/93 6'01" 190 Williamsville NY     42- 1- 6-  7-  8 02/18/11 #848

15 Mike Zalewski       LW Vernon Vipers (BCHL)            08/18/92 6'03" 205 New Hartford NY      47-12-17- 29- 34 02/15/11 #827
                      33 Jason Kasdorf        G Portage Terriers (MJHL)         05/18/92 6'04" 187 Winnipeg MB      30-20-10-0-2.52-.912 02/15/11 #838

23 Jake Wood           LW Gunnery School (NEPSHC)         xx/xx/93 5'08" 170 Georgetown ON        22-10-16- 26-  ? 02/16/11 #879

2013 or 2014
                      27 Drew Melanson       LW Delbarton School (Gordon Conf)  01/10/95 5'11" 145 Paramus NJ           19- 4-11- 15-  ? 02/16/11 #781

Women
                      18 Eleeza Cox           F Toronto Aeros (PWHL)            09/09/93 5'05" 145 St Catherines ON     17- 7-10- 17-  6 only league games
                                                                                                   playoffs              0- 0- 0-  0-  0 TBD
                       2                        Ridley College Tigers                                                   28-47-21- 68- 56 02/16/11 much missing information
                                                                                                   total                45-54-31- 85- 62 much missing information
                      88 Taylor Mahoney       F Chicago Mission 19U (MWEHL)     04/21/93 x'xx" xxx Cary IL              15- 8- 9- 17- 14 only league games
                                                                                                   playoffs              4- 1- 1-  2-  0 
                                                                                                   total                19- 9-10- 19- 14 TBD
                       3 Ali Svoboda *        F Chicago Mission 19U (MWEHL)     10/23/92 x'xx" xxx Arlington Heights IL 17- 7- 9- 16-  2 only league games
                                                                                                   playoffs              4- 1- 0-  1-  2
                                                                                                   total                21- 8- 9- 17-  4 TBD
                      21 Kathryn Schilter     D Toronto Aeros (PWHL)            01/12/93 5'06" 140 Aurora ON            24- 1-13- 14- 10 only league games
                                                                                                   playoffs              0- 0- 0-  0-  0 TBD
                                                                                                   total                24- 1-13- 14- 10 
                      30 Brianna Piper *      G Toronto Aeros (PWHL)            03/19/93 5'08" 145 Oakville ON      21-13- 7-1-1.85-.910 only league games
                                                                                                   playoffs          0- 0- 0-0-0.00-.000 TBD
                                                                                                   total            21-13- 7-1-1.85-.910
                      * In the RPI directory
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        The biggest loss, however, will be Jeff Foss, who is probably our most consistent player. He's commonly overlooked, even when we were going to have The A Team until D'Amigo bolted, resulting in The Eh Team.

Do you think that our recruits, or perhaps Pat Koudys, will be making any noise in the NHL draft come June?
                        Koudys almost certainly. Leonard, Bradley, and Kasdorf are ranked, but are less likely to be taken. Curadi, Haggerty, and Neal are also possible.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

My guess is that we can expect about the same from JL and Neal that we got from D'Amigo and Pirri last season.
                          That is quite a statement. I don't think that there is anyone else on this thread whose oppinion I respect more than yours, and yet, I still have questions about JL.
                          He hasn't elevated his level of competition in three years. Has he ever gone more that a couple of games without a goal? What happens if he comes in and doesn't light the lamp early and often? His numbers are great, but will they translate to college? And will he get down on himself if they don't?
                          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                          Gary Player

Comment

Koudys almost certainly. Leonard, Bradley, and Kasdorf are ranked, but are less likely to be taken. Curadi, Haggerty, and Neal are also possible.
                            The scouts seems to love Bradley. It would not surprise me at all if he gets scooped up in a late round. I am quite excited for his arrival, hopefully in 2012. I wonder if SA would be willing to hold him until 2012 if we only have 2 d-men come in next year.

On a related note, I love that we already have a basically full class for 2012 (which should represent a very nice talent influx). I am assuming that Miller is not coming in on a full scholly. Of the current juniors who will be leaving (not counting Bergin, who hopefully will use his redshirt year), Cullen, AAG, Smith, and York are likely on full schollies (even though he hasn't played much at RPI, Smith was recruited pretty early and switched junior leagues, seemingly at SA's request). Rabbani is probably not on a full schollie. So if we pair up incoming recruits; Kasdorf-York, Smith-Zalewski, Bradley-AAG, Miller-Rabbani, that still leaves Cullen's scholarship (which is certainly full) open.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              That is quite a statement. I don't think that there is anyone else on this thread whose oppinion I respect more than yours, and yet, I still have questions about JL.
                              He hasn't elevated his level of competition in three years. Has he ever gone more that a couple of games without a goal? What happens if he comes in and doesn't light the lamp early and often? His numbers are great, but will they translate to college? And will he get down on himself if they don't?
                              ehf: Obviously there is no way to know for sure what will happen, but the objective evidence about JL is that he is coming in here with a record along the lines of what Murley and Polacek had. Going back to the late 90's, there have NOT been any examples of players with a track record like JL's who simply flopped at RPI (there have of course been busts, but predictions of those players' success were not based on objective evidence like predictions about JL are). Then again, there are simply not that many players out there, period, who have had junior track records like JL.
                              Last edited by knsmith; 02-15-2011, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                                One further thing worth noting is the performance of Andrew Calof at Princeton this season... JL had better numbers than him in juniors last season. JL is coming in with another year of experience and maturity under his belt, and this year he is clearly learning how to become a winner. Keep in mind that he has turned Cornwall from a middle-of-the-pack team at the time of his arrival into one of the most dominating teams in Ontario this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X