Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Hockey Schools Have Some of the Worst Professors in the Nation

Originally posted by Stories View Post
    This needs to be changed to read, "Worst Teaching Professors". There's a BIG difference between a poor teacher and a poor professor. Not all professors teach, particularly in the sciences, where so much of the learn happens outside the classroom.

When it comes to learning research methods in the laboratory, something that wouldn't be reflected in classes, I'll take someone who has published multiple times in Nature over someone who hasn't published work since his/her dissertation from grad school (no offense to teaching professors at liberal arts colleges who are good teachers).

Also, this is using RateMyProfessors.com? Geez....
    You are absolutely correct about this, and this is especially true at RPI. Many professors are hired for the purposes of doing research which will bring money to the institute, and then they have to teach on the side, although most of their primary "teaching" will be doing research with a graduate student. At least for our school, a position was created called "Clinical Associate Professor", where the hiree only teaches.

Puck Swami is also right in that many classes are in Engrish [sic]. One of the groups on campus was actually pushing towards getting competent TA's who actually know the subject and having English language requirements for the TA's as well.

RateMyProfessor.com is actually pretty accurate if you were to balance out the usage of 1's and 5's. Many of us used it to determine when to take a class.

Comment

It does seem to favor the Engineering/Science/Technical Universities. I would guess that is because by nature the type of person that teaches these fields isn't as skilled at doing actual teaching. While some professors in these fields definitely are gifted at this, they would be much tougher to find than in say, Liberal Arts. Also, when you're hiring a professor in these fields, you don't necessarily look for someone who is a great teacher, research is what drives these types of hires.

With this said, someone needs to email this article to Passerello at Tech, I'd love to see his reaction to it. (bonus points to anyone that knows what the hell I'm talking about)
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
        Aha, beat me to it.

I would have thought Osorojo would have started this thread. Then when he said "Has anyone ever done a study on whether college hockey students have good professors?" Biddy could have been all over it!
        Thanks for the unsolicited plug! Any press is good press. Keep it up.
        Avoid confusion. Stick to hockey and stay away from professors and scholarship.

Comment

http://www.princetonreview.com/schoo...?type=r&id=687
          Schools with best libraries...oh look, Harvard, Princeton, Colgate, Cornell, West Point, Wesleyan, Bentley and Wisconsin all have hockey!
          http://www.princetonreview.com/Schoo...?type=r&id=722
          Schools with most hard liquor...only Providence College (way to go friartown, #1), Wisconsin, Trinity (CT) and Michigan State have hockey! (and almost Penn State)
          http://www.princetonreview.com/Schoo...?type=r&id=752
          Schools with most school spirit...oh look, Michigan, Notre Dame, BC and Wisconsin all have hockey!
          http://www.princetonreview.com/Schoo...?type=r&id=685
          Schools with best career services...Northeastern, Yale, Bentley, Middlebury, Cornell and Stonehill all have hockey!

...and you were saying?
          Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
            I made it my goal in life during college to disparage foreign TA's.
            I just ignored them, and drank. didn't see any reason to spill any beer over them.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

This makes me want to ask: How many around here actually drank during class? I have to imagine just about everyone, I know that I sure as hell did.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
                http://www.princetonreview.com/schoo...?type=r&id=687
                Schools with best libraries...oh look, Harvard, Princeton, Colgate, Cornell, West Point, Wesleyan, Bentley and Wisconsin all have hockey!
                http://www.princetonreview.com/Schoo...?type=r&id=722
                Schools with most hard liquor...only Providence College (way to go friartown, #1), Wisconsin, Trinity (CT) and Michigan State have hockey! (and almost Penn State)
                http://www.princetonreview.com/Schoo...?type=r&id=752
                Schools with most school spirit...oh look, Michigan, Notre Dame, BC and Wisconsin all have hockey!
                http://www.princetonreview.com/Schoo...?type=r&id=685
                Schools with best career services...Northeastern, Yale, Bentley, Middlebury, Cornell and Stonehill all have hockey!

...and you were saying?
                ...that schools I dislike/enjoy making fun of were still not disproved by you

MSU-M, SCSU, UND, and MTU.
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by BigM3810 View Post
                  I bet close to 100% of those schools have basketball teams
                  I don't think the Merchant Marine Academy has a basketball team, but they do have a varsity Cribbage program.
                  Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

hahahahahah Freddie that made my night!
                    Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Working...
                    X