• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DU Visits UAA

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
    Right on! But who are the Red Hawks?
    Colorado Seminary
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

They are 9-24-5 in WCHA Friday road games, and 8-28-2 in Saturday games going back through the 2005-06 season. Didn't go any further back than that.
      I can see why!!!
      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
      Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
        Colorado Seminary
        Well played, if somewhat obscure. Yes, officially, the University of Denver was founded and chartered as the Colorado Seminary in 1864, and that name still does appear on some university paperwork and the seal, but for practical purposes, the Colorado Seminary has been operating as the University of Denver since 1880. There is also no seminary training at DU, either. The Illiff School of Theology shares some campus space with DU and was once a part of DU, but they have been seperate entities since 1903.
        Last edited by Puck Swami; 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          Gwoz also mentioned the two time zones and the extensive winter darkness there having effects as well, with sluggish play.
          The shortened days would have absolutely zero effect on a short term visitor. None. Zero. I'd challenge anyone to describe how a 21 year old hockey player would get "Seasonal Affected Disorder" in 3 days. And if a 21 year old hockey player can't deal with a two hour east to west time change then DU's staff really needs evaluated.

UAA always plays DU very tough - The Seawolves are big and strong and very well coached to use their sticks to prevent DU from gaining speed and space, in fact, I think UAA may be the best in the WCHA at using sticks.
          You'd think having played Wisconsin that Swami would label them with that moniker. Perhaps the Pios outsticked the Badgers then? The Badgers were the stick happiest lot I've seen this year.

1st, the Seawolves average height is 6ft 1/4 inch ... the Pios are 5 feet 11 and 1/3 inches which makes UAA the 7th tallest team in the WCHA and the 14th tallest in the NCAA. As for weight UAA comes in at 24th heaviest in the nation @ 188.64lbs for 28th overall in the NCAA.

2nd, the era of "clutch and grab" WCHA hockey is bygone. Rules emphasis isn't some new feature this season. And there was literally a 2 or 3 year period in the WCHA where all these sort of "using the stick to gain advantage on another player" penalties were emphasized. Stickwork is called. Do they call the stickwork just like the NHL? No.

3rd, UAA doesn't "clutch and grab" with any more frequency than anyone else. If they did it would be reflected in their penalty totals. UAA takes less penalties per game than DU. So um ... who plays less disciplined with their sticks now?

Thankfully the referees won't be calling the illegal basketball-style defensive PICKS the Pios utilize. The Pios will be glad the referees don't call interference when their defensemen "hold up" charging forwards just inside the blue line on dumped pucks. Cos yeah ... that's not interference

Comment

Its hard for the refs to see the Pioneers clutching and grabbing because the SEVEN National Championship banners block a lot of the lighting in Magness Arena.

Comment

Well played, if somewhat obscure. Yes, officially, the University of Denver was founded and chartered as the Colorado Seminary in 1864, and that name still does appear on some university paperwork and the seal, but for practical purposes, the Colorado Seminary has been operating as the University of Denver since 1880. There is also no seminary training at DU, either. The Illiff School of Theology shares some campus space with DU and was once a part of DU, but they have been seperate entities since 1903.
              The 'Colorado Seminary' was founded as a Methodist institution and struggled in the early years of its existence. By 1880, the Colorado Seminary had been renamed the University of Denver. Although doing business as the University of Denver, DU is still legally named Colorado Seminary. The first buildings of the university were located in downtown Denver in the 1860s and 1870s, but concerns that Denver's rough-and-tumble frontier town atmosphere was not conducive to education prompted a new campus (today's campus) to be built on the donated land of potato farmer Rufus “Spuds” Clark,So maybe you should honor the man who donated the land a little notice and remake your unofficial mascot “Boone “ with a gunny sack of seed potatoes over his shoulder and a shovel
              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

So maybe you should honor the man who donated the land a little notice and remake your unofficial mascot “Boone “ with a gunny sack of seed potatoes over his shoulder and a shovel [/B]
                I don't think so. Potato Clark had conditions to go with his land offer, demanding that no alcohol ever be made or sold in the area. Legend has it that Clark was a reformed alcoholic who had been saved at a tent revival meeting. In areas outside of Clark’s original gift, the town of South Denver placed a $3,500 annual saloon license fee back in the 1890s, high enough to keep out most of these types of establishments.

Today, of course, DU serves cocktails in the concourse of Magness Arena. Potato is spinning in his grave...

Comment

Never heard the potato farmer story before. These days you are more likely to see Boone tooling around campus with skis on his shoulder.

Comment

More on Potato Clark:

http://creatingcommunities.denverlibrary.org/node/187

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                      Its hard for the refs to see the Pioneers clutching and grabbing because the SEVEN National Championship banners block a lot of the lighting in Magness Arena.
                      and the 3 or 4 trips to the lemonaid stand before the game

Comment

I don't think so. Potato Clark had conditions to go with his land offer, demanding that no alcohol ever be made or sold in the area. Legend has it that Clark was a reformed alcoholic who had been saved at a tent revival meeting. In areas outside of Clark’s original gift, the town of South Denver placed a $3,500 annual saloon license fee back in the 1890s, high enough to keep out most of these types of establishments.

Today, of course, DU serves cocktails in the concourse of Magness Arena. Potato is spinning in his grave...
                        If he was buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery he could be spinning with partners

Comment

Interesting that DU might be violating restrictive covenants included with the land.

Since the 1960's most covenants have been found to be unenforceable in courts of law. In the South, I've heard of land or house titles that have convenants against selling the property to non-whites. Obviously this is completely illegal (per US Supreme Court), but its still in the title that passes from one owner to another.

The point of this isn't to start a debate on race, just that landowners used to throw in all kinds of crazy conditions when selling property.
                          Last edited by dggoddard; 12-08-2010, 03:53 PM.

Comment

From Gwoz's radio show last night.

Thanks to DU being on XMAS Break, the team leaves today, instead of on Thursday, for Anchorage with a layover in Seattle. They'll get in tonight at midnight.

The extra day in Anchorage will help them acclimatize. The players are also instructed to drink plenty of water on the flights to deal with fatigue. Its a pretty interesting strategy, because WCHA fans have all seen UAA getting blown out on the road on Friday nights and then playing very well on Saturdays over the years.

DU will practice tomorrow afternoon and then have the regular road trip routine.

DU really puts a lot of thought into road trips and scheduling. When they play Tech, DU flies into Green Bay and then overnights there, before taking the bus trip to Houghton. All in an effort to reduce fatigue and pull out tough road victories. It costs more money, but it usually pays off.
                            You forgot to reveal that this will also give DU Players and additional day of "story time" which they all love when so far away from home.

Comment

You forgot to reveal that this will also give DU Players and additional day of "story time" which they all love when so far away from home.
                              I love story time because its soothing to hear the same story over and over.

Denver goes up to Anchorage, gets two hard fought victories over the Seawolves. Donald complains bitterly about the refereeing, DU comes home for Christmas. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas.

Comment

Interesting that DU might be violating restrictive covenants included with the land.

Since the 1960's most covenants have been found to be unenforceable in courts of law. In the South, I've heard of land or house titles that have convenants against selling the property to non-whites. Obviously this is completely illegal (per US Supreme Court), but its still in the title that passes from one owner to another.

The point of this isn't to start a debate on race, just that crazy landowners used to throw in crazy conditions when selling property.
                                In my search for the wacky, unexplainable laws in this world, I run across a lot of state and city laws regarding animals. I’m particularly fond of the one in Denver, Colorado that says that it is illegal to mistreat rats. The city fathers must of had a slow day.

Comment

Working...
                                X