Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

    Any chance it may make him more nervous to.... live up to the expectations or something? We gave him a FANTASTIC welcome against St. Thomas and we all know he looked pretty shaky there...
    Northeastern University, Class of 2012

    GO NU

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

      Originally posted by northeastern View Post
      These 2 teams played last yr in a 4-1 Huskies win, but (as i mentioned in our season thread), i thought the Falcons skated pretty well.

      Have you lost/ gained on defense since then? How is your goaltending situation? I think NU will win.. but no blowout as i will give your D credit from last yr. Any snipers we shoud know about? As you know for us.. we lost Brad Thiessen to the pros along with other seniors like Ryan Ginand & Joe Vitale. We did get some promising freshman & they have skated very well our first 2 gms, yet we did lose one of our best skaters - Steve Quailer (who played well against you last yr).. to an ACL injury in an exhibition gm 10 days ago.

      Well, how does your team look this year Bentley fans? Have you had any reg or exhibition gms so far? I thought we should have won our gm last yr by more than a couple goals but your defense was pretty good (my opinion). Thiessen wasn't too shabby either. We do have a new tender... he's settling down. He's no Thiessen...
      yet
      Although one of you Huskies red-squared me for a comment that I made defending Maine in one of your threads last season, I will take another chance. Here is part of a post that I made to the Bentley U. Falcons 2009-10 thread (hey, we even have our own thread now! ).

      I really enjoyed the Bentley game at Matthews last year, and wish that I could attend this year, but I will be out of town. The energy in the student section (Dog Pound?) reminded me of the old days at Snively in Durham (the lack of fan energy at the Whitt is abysmal at times). I think that it is going to be another tough early season for Bentley, playing Quinnipiac the night after we visit Matthews, then a trip to Colorado Springs to play Air Force the first weekend of November. But, I expect Bentley will become better in the second half again this season (we tied for 4th in AHA last season, then made it to the tourney in Rochester, where we lost 3-0 to Air Force, who almost upset Vermont to add a third 4th seed to the F4).

      I think that our top line this year will be last season's second line of Erik Peterson (#7, Jr; got our only goal off Thiessen last year), Dustin Cloutier (#23, Jr), and Marc Menzione (#19, Sr), assuming that they are kept intact, as I have not seen any practices this pre-season. I heard that our players will skate without their names on jerseys again the first half of this season, but then add their names the second half. The other guy up front to watch is Herbie Kent (#21, So), who gained a lot of experience playing on last year's third line. I think that, unlike last year, defense will be Bentley's strongest asset this season, with five of six regular D-men back (three sophomores), along with both goalies. D-man to watch is Bobby Preece (#24, Sr), who will be expected to take an even bigger role on offense this year than last.


      "The 2008-2009 season was a break-through of sorts, as Bentley beat RPI (4-3 ot) and Maine (3-1), and lost to Colgate (4-1), Northeastern (4-1, a much closer game than the score might indicate), and Ohio State twice (10-1, 3-2 ot, but the blow out was primarily caused by rare lack of discipline that led to six 5-3 pp goals). Bentley also split with Air Force (2-3, 4-1, outplaying AF in the loss, I think) and Mercyhurst (4-6, 3-1, but again outplaying the Lakers in the loss, in my opinion) at J A Ryan late in the season. I really thought that Bentley could knock off the other Falcons in the AHA tourney for a chance to play the Wolverines and maybe UVM in Bridgeport. The Northeastern game was a late scheduling opportunity, which meant no Qunnipiac game last season.

      As noted by Tnado, Bentley graduated their top three scorers in Jeff Gumaer, Anthony Canzoneri, and Dain Prewitt (first line, 42, 37, 35 points each, respectively), as well as Pat Percella (fourth line and best PK player) and D-man Casey Russell, who played about every game all four seasons (14 assists last year). But, last year's second line was almost as productive as the first, with Erik Peterson (So), Dustin Cloutier (So), and Marc Menzione (Jr) scoring 34, 27, 27 points each. Justin Kemmerer (Jr), who played D his first two seasons, moved up to the fourth line and point on the PP, to make room for three frosh D-men, Ryan Kayfes (2 G, 8 A), Trent Bonnett (0 G, 8 A), and Mike Switzer (0 G, 6 A), all of whom played in about every game in 2008-2009. So, with Bobby Preece (Jr, 2 G, 22 A) and Anders Olson (Jr, 0 G, 5 A) back, there is only one open slot for a D-man, in contrast with two or three slots for frosh forwards, as Soderquist's history is playing all four lines throughout most games.

      My favorite Bentley goals of the 2008-2009 season were Erik Peterson's off Brad Thiessen at Matthews Arena (made the score 2-1 and hushed the crowd) and Jeff Gumaer's two in Orono, which I heard described in disbelief through a radio-feed on my computer. I do not know much about the frosh recruits, but nearly all of our athletes at Bentley are serious students and all graduate with business degrees and multiple career options. As much of a dump as J A Ryan Rink is for home ice, I enjoy watching games there, where some heat vents were added above the seating last season, but free pizza was given up, perhaps due to the economy?"

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

        Wow.. great post Snively65.. lots of detail in there..

        Originally posted by choog View Post
        Any chance it may make him more nervous to.... live up to the expectations or something? We gave him a FANTASTIC welcome against St. Thomas and we all know he looked pretty shaky there...
        .. i think that exhibition gm for Rawlings at Matthews must have been a little difficult.. mainly because he was put in goal in the middle of the gm. He never had the chance to ease into the game. Even with that, first time in a gm situation he gave up 2 goals in front of the home crowd & that has to be a bit nerve racking -playing on Matthews ice in front of the home fans after sitting on the bench & watching like everyone else.

        He prob also faced far fewer shots in pre-gm warmups as he was not going to be the starting goalie that night.

        I think after his play in that second Colorado gm & in time.. he is going to look forward to the fans at Matthews & relish the 'Fantastic Welcomes' ..
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

          Originally posted by northeastern View Post
          He prob also faced far fewer shots in pre-gm warmups as he was not going to be the starting goalie that night.
          You think? I thought for sure his entrance in the 2nd period was part of the plan all along. I doubt Cronin expected much out of... what's-his-face...
          Northeastern University, Class of 2012

          GO NU

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

            ..hmm well, i'm not privy to any 'RAW Intelligence'..
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

              Bah Dum Pshh
              Northeastern University, Class of 2012

              GO NU

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

                Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                I do not know much about the frosh recruits, but nearly all of our athletes at Bentley are serious students and all graduate with business degrees and multiple career options.
                Must be the luckiest students in America.
                Ain't nothing but a husky dawg.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

                  Playing against #20 Northeastern on Friday will be a walk in the park compared to #18 Quinnipiac on Saturday. QU crushed Ohio State in a two game series last week. It should be a fun weekend!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

                    ..well then i sure hope the Falcons 'walk in the park all night'.. and just lv the skating to us
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    Always bullish on the future.
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

                      Originally posted by choog View Post
                      You think? I thought for sure his entrance in the 2nd period was part of the plan all along. I doubt Cronin expected much out of... what's-his-face...
                      Yeah, I'm in the camp of Cro throwing Binnington a bone for riding pine for so long and not liking the results.
                      Matthews Arena:
                      Originally posted by UMLGoon
                      "you know a team's awful when the main selling point, even to its own fans, is 'our rink predates electricity'"

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

                        Originally posted by Ebinsugewa View Post
                        Yeah, I'm in the camp of Cro throwing Binnington a bone for riding pine for so long and not liking the results.
                        Ditto!! There should be a few opportunities in the season with this offense to give the other goalies a period here and there.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

                          Originally posted by WDR357 View Post
                          Ditto!! There should be a few opportunities in the season with this offense to give the other goalies a period here and there.
                          Dont bet on it. I think Bing getting in the exhib game was the bone thrown his way.

                          And keep in mind that there were multiple chances the past two seasons to get Bing in a game, and when he did, he flopped. And there were other games when he could have started, and did not, games that were meaningless. Like Game 2 of the RPI tournament last year.

                          Cronin is going to ride Rawlings. Maybe Mountain gets some time here or there if Rawlings is having a tough night or struggling or gets H1N1, but otherwise its going to be all Rawlings.

                          Rawlings was brought here to be the man, and he is going to get every opportunity to do so. The only person to keep him out of the net is going to be him
                          DogHouse Graduate 2001

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

                            Originally posted by thermopylae78 View Post
                            Playing against #20 Northeastern on Friday will be a walk in the park compared to #18 Quinnipiac on Saturday. QU crushed Ohio State in a two game series last week. It should be a fun weekend!
                            Maybe Ohio St is overrated?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

                              Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Although one of you Huskies red-squared me for a comment that I made defending Maine in one of your threads last season, I will take another chance. Here is part of a post that I made to the Bentley U. Falcons 2009-10 thread (hey, we even have our own thread now! ).

                              I really enjoyed the Bentley game at Matthews last year, and wish that I could attend this year, but I will be out of town. The energy in the student section (Dog Pound?) reminded me of the old days at Snively in Durham (the lack of fan energy at the Whitt is abysmal at times).
                              You should be red-squared just for that comment alone! (JK) Anywho, I still haven't had a chance to see the team or the arena yet since we bought our new place, so here's hoping that I will not be disappointed. Here's hoping I make it cause work is kicking my bum.
                              Originally posted by Bakunin
                              Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Bentley v/s Northeastern, Fri 10/16

                                Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                                You should be red-squared just for that comment alone! (JK) Anywho, I still haven't had a chance to see the team or the arena yet since we bought our new place, so here's hoping that I will not be disappointed. Here's hoping I make it cause work is kicking my bum.
                                You won't be disappointed with the arena...team might leave some to be desired! Just keep chanting "He's not Brad Thiessen....he's not Brad Thiessen" in your head...it will help you to cope...
                                MATTHEWS ARENA

                                100 YEARS OF HOCKEY HISTORY

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X