This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread Part the One

We drop to #3 and still get two first place votes. Were those two voters not watching hockey this weekend?
    time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post

Scott, I finished Burn the Boats the other day, marvelous job. Great to see all of the insights into the events in the locker room, and it was all very nicely woven together into a complete tale. This book offers a look into college hockey, the players, and Coach Parker that nothing else can offer. Great job!

Thanks so much! Glad that you enjoyed it. It seems like even hardcore BU fans have been surprised at some of the glimpses into the locker room.

www.buhockeybook.com

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
        I actually managed to read all of these posts wondering why we were joking about calling it Burn the Books... before I realized it was all my fault (sieve).

Sorry, Scott... it was late and for some reason Burn the Books just flies off of my keyboard... I promise, I'm not a book burner.

<---Fail.
        Okay, you're not a book burner... but are you maybe a latent BC fan??

www.buhockeybook.com

Comment

Originally posted by terrierhockey View Post
          totally unrelated, but thought to mention:
          BBennett played yesterday in a loss to ColCollege (3 GA on 23). Just curious, does anyone know if he's the out-and-out starter for the badgers?
          This sparked my curiosity, so I looked at the story. The Badgers had a 2-0 lead, at home, and outshot Colorado 41-23, but still took the loss. One game does not a season make . . . but if it does, Wisconsin may be in for what the Terriers endured 2007-08.
          This time, defensive breakdowns enabled the Tigers to score the first goal as Overman snuck a shot between the legs of UW goalie Brett Bennett (23 saves) at 8:52, and tie it when sophomore Nick Dineen executed a solid give-and-go set, drawing the defense to the left side of the net, and firing a cross ice pass to McMillin for an easy goal.

Comment

Originally posted by weighart View Post
            Okay, you're not a book burner... but are you maybe a latent BC fan??

www.buhockeybook.com
            i hate to bring this up but there is one minor factual error in the book - in the schedule listed at the end, it says we lost to umass in november 6-5, when the game was actually 5-1. other than that, the book was fantastic - it's probably the only book i read cover to cover during my time associated with BU.

Comment

Originally posted by goalguard View Post
              This sparked my curiosity, so I looked at the story. The Badgers had a 2-0 lead, at home, and outshot Colorado 41-23, but still took the loss. One game does not a season make . . . but if it does, Wisconsin may be in for what the Terriers endured 2007-08.
              This time, defensive breakdowns enabled the Tigers to score the first goal as Overman snuck a shot between the legs of UW goalie Brett Bennett (23 saves) at 8:52, and tie it when sophomore Nick Dineen executed a solid give-and-go set, drawing the defense to the left side of the net, and firing a cross ice pass to McMillin for an easy goal.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS61FPkiOiE

CC's goal #2 made me LOL - Floppy McFloppington at his best.

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                i hate to bring this up but there is one minor factual error in the book - in the schedule listed at the end, it says we lost to umass in november 6-5, when the game was actually 5-1. other than that, the book was fantastic - it's probably the only book i read cover to cover during my time associated with BU.
                And it also listed the game as a home game. But enough of the nitpicky stuff. What a great read. Thanks for writing this Scott. It's a great way to remember the season. Now I need to watch cc99's DVD again. cc99 - you are bringing my copy Saturday, right?? Right???? I need a fix.

Comment

"and just a great play to get that puck over to McMillan who just banged home... basically an empty netter as bennett was trying to go right to left"
                  Boston University '08 Syracuse University '11
                  when you say Jack Parker... you've said it all

1994 1996 1998 1999 2000 2003 2009 2009
                  "so here's to the outhouse on the hill, 'cause BOSTON COLLEGE SUCKS, and they always will!"

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    And it also listed the game as a home game. But enough of the nitpicky stuff. What a great read. Thanks for writing this Scott. It's a great way to remember the season. Now I need to watch cc99's DVD again. cc99 - you are bringing my copy Saturday, right?? Right???? I need a fix.
                    Yes, you'll get it.
                    Boston University 2009 Champs
                    Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Hee, hee. That was fun. Thanks for posting. He also flopped on the first goal and was way too deep in the net on goal #3. Poor Wisconsin. I feel bad for our western brother.

BU Hockey: Flip Flop
                      It Happened!!!!

Comment

Complete this sentence.

BU misses _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ most from last year's team because...

Comment

The season is as young as our freshman. The freshman look fine: its the upperclassmen that seem to have taken a step back.
                          Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Complete this sentence.

BU misses _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ most from last year's team because...
                            Part of me wants to say Colin Wilson, because he was always there to finish the play and get the puck in the back of the net... but I could say the same about JLaw, McCarthy, Gilroy, and Yip too.

This has happened the last three games (although I know one was a win) and I'm starting to think it's more a we're-taking-bad-shots than we're-facing-amazing-goalies, and it certainly won't stand as an excuse for the entire year.
                            I know it's weird to quote yourself... but I don't know what else to say.

So many shots, no goals... so many chances and absolutely no finishing.

The part of the third period where it felt like we were on a power play for five minutes and completely controlled the puck but could not score seemed to define this feeling. I honestly still can't believe we didn't score on so many good opportunities.

I hope we fix it, maybe it's just going to take a bit of time. If everybody had made a couple of little adjustments and done a couple things a little bit differently this game could have been a 7-2 win... but it wasn't, we're anywhere near there yet.
                            Last edited by quiddlet; 10-20-2009, 08:57 PM.
                            Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Game thoughts:

--Never have I seen so many blocked shots by defensemen/forwards. It almost looked like we were shooting it right into their pads. Only in the 3rd did we start to duck around the defenders.

--Again, a lot of shots into Phillips' gut.

--I think this team needs to stop trying the go-to play of last season: forward skates it into the zone on the boards, pulls a D-man over and centers it to another forward. We tried it a couple times tonight and the centering pass sailed across the ice, giving a pretty good breakout for ND. The forwards seem to want the other winger to pick it up, not themselves. Either stop it or do it right.

--2 clean breakaways and not even a shot on net between the two of them? Inexcuseable.

I guess at least I need to officially acknowledge the fact that this team is going to be nowhere near last year's team.
                              GO BU! がんばろうTERRIERS

Comment

Part of me wants to say Colin Wilson, because he was always there to finish the play and get the puck in the back of the net... but I could say the same about JLaw, McCarthy, Gilroy, and Yip too.
                                you got the reason correct, but the player wrong.

Jason Lawrence.

that guy who got all those easy goals due to great playmaking? raise your hand if you'd like to have one of those guys right now. we have no one right now who can finish and put the puck in the net when the puck is thrown in front of the net and no one who has a nose for the puck like he did who always was in great position to put home a rebound or receive a pass.

the same argument can be made to a lesser extent with Yip a swell.

Comment

Working...
                                X