Your one do-over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your one do-over.

One? I couldn't possibly choose. I'm a Brown fan. There must be dozens, if not hundreds.

Some that stick out, though:

-This past year, when we led Cornell 2-0 on Senior Day, only to lose it in overtime as the Big Red decided to wake up and play some hockey and Brown ran out of gas. It was particularly demoralizing because we had been playing so well and I was so excited because Cornell was #7, and then, in typical Brown fashion, we blew it.

-The 03-04 Harvard playoff series (as a whole). We outplayed them for both games, but they somehow solved Yann Danis and went on to sweep, while we couldn't beat their keeper enough (I believe it was Grumet-Morris? Harvard fans are welcome to correct me), even though we peppered him.

-97-98 season vs. Princeton. It was a back and forth affair, with 6 goals in the third period to tie the game at 5. Then Princeton scored in overtime to win. Great game, and super exciting, but I would like it back, please.

-This past season vs. Yale. We should have had the tying goal in the third, but the refs waved it off. We lost, 4-3, and a last-second shot hit the post. Ugh.

-This past season vs. Providence. Tim Army b*tched and b*tched, and finally got his way. The refs stopped calling penalties against PC and started calling obnoxious and ridiculous ones against Brown, leading to a 4-3 (or maybe 4-2? I forget) Providence victory. This is the one that bugged me the most, because after the game, Army and his players danced around like they actually deserved it and as if they had just won a championship (I'm sorry, but the Mayor's Cup does not count for anything. I don't even think the mayor came to the game this year). They played pretty well in the first two periods, while Brown stunk up the ice (surprise!), but the third period was ALL Bears- and 2 PC power play goals, both as a result of questionable (at best) calls.

So, as you can clearly see, this past season was one of the most frustrating ever, even for a Brown fan. I don't even want to think about it anymore. It's making my acid reflux act up.

Comment

The Travis Roy incident was particularly painful. Since that's already been mentioned, I would make sure Mark Bavis overslept so he wouldn't make his United flight. I'd also like a doctor to come up with a cure for Shawn Walsh's cancer.

On the ice, probably the one do-over I'd want is March of 1992. The team had beaten MSU in the regular season and threw everything at Michigan State in the playoff game in Providence, but lost 3-2 in a heart breaker. The game was blacked out (part of the idiotic NC$$ policy of the time) and I had one of the few cameras there. Maine appeared to have scored but Gilmore stopped the puck. There was a...disagreement and Jean-Yves was invited to spend 10 minutes in the penalty box. Between periods I went back and watched the replay...JY was right and Maine had scored. If that call was made correctly, the whole game changes.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        One? I couldn't possibly choose. I'm a Brown fan. There must be dozens, if not hundreds.

-This past year, when we led Cornell 2-0 on Senior Day, only to lose it in overtime as the Big Red decided to wake up and play some hockey and Brown ran out of gas. It was particularly demoralizing because we had been playing so well and I was so excited because Cornell was #7, and then, in typical Brown fashion, we blew it.

-The 03-04 Harvard playoff series (as a whole). We outplayed them for both games, but they somehow solved Yann Danis and went on to sweep, while we couldn't beat their keeper enough (I believe it was Grumet-Morris? Harvard fans are welcome to correct me), even though we peppered him.

-97-98 season vs. Princeton. It was a back and forth affair, with 6 goals in the third period to tie the game at 5. Then Princeton scored in overtime to win. Great game, and super exciting, but I would like it back, please.

-This past season vs. Yale. We should have had the tying goal in the third, but the refs waved it off. We lost, 4-3, and a last-second shot hit the post. Ugh.

-This past season vs. Providence. Tim Army b*tched and b*tched, and finally got his way. The refs stopped calling penalties against PC and started calling obnoxious and ridiculous ones against Brown, leading to a 4-3 (or maybe 4-2? I forget) Providence victory. This is the one that bugged me the most, because after the game, Army and his players danced around like they actually deserved it and as if they had just won a championship (I'm sorry, but the Mayor's Cup does not count for anything. I don't even think the mayor came to the game this year). They played pretty well in the first two periods, while Brown stunk up the ice (surprise!), but the third period was ALL Bears- and 2 PC power play goals, both as a result of questionable (at best) calls.

So, as you can clearly see, this past season was one of the most frustrating ever, even for a Brown fan. I don't even want to think about it anymore. It's making my acid reflux act up.
        Wow, and I thought I was angry about the past season!
        Incidentally, Brown has been gifted enough BS penalties by ECAC "refs" during the years. What's one period, really?

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
        -Blackadder
        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
        -Casablanca
        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post

How about the post-season run from 75->77????
          Every loss was in OT.
          And IIRC the game tying goal in the 76 NCAA semifinal went in because Kevin McCabe's stick broke.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
            As a longtime BU fan, my do over would be the 1974 NCAA SF game vs. UMTC. BU roared from behind to tie the Gophers late in the 3rd period. Even later in the period, BU went on the PP with a chance to win in regulation. Mike Polich picked up a lose puck off an errant pass at the point, sailed in on Ed Walsh and scored the gamewinner. Rueful memories!!
            And that was a wonderfull memory for me when BU stormed back I figure the Gophers were gonna cave and then Polich takes that shot 35 years later and I can still see it

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyJock View Post
              Your excused...it took place a quarter of a century ago. I used to have the 1985 semi-final game on tape but recorded over it a few years later. Same story with the 1984 title game...now I wish I still had them even though Duluth lost.
              So far, no RPI fan remembers this. http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=83568
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                Wow, and I thought I was angry about the past season!
                Incidentally, Brown has been gifted enough BS penalties by ECAC "refs" during the years. What's one period, really?
                I suppose you're right; Brown gets its fair share of sympathy/lucky calls. But that was a game in which the coach clearly influenced the result in a negative manner, which was what made me most angry. To be fair, as I said PC played pretty well and Brown...played like Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  Not necessarily a do-over situation, but 20-20-4, 6th place in CCHA, .5097 RPI(23rd overall) Northern Michigan > 19-16-4, 4th place in WCHA, .5272 RPI(14th overall) Minnesota State is one of the most frustrating things I've ever seen.
                  A do-over of the OT in that third WCHA playoff game is what I'd ask for. We haven't had that many good teams at Minnesota State, but I think that one could have done some damage. I'd have that overtime back in a heartbeat. Win that game and it doesn't matter what NMU or anyone else does, the Mavs would've been in.
                  "A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day." -Calvin

4:00 double minors for roughing, to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
                    My Do over would come a year earlier in 1983. BG was ranked fourth in the nation, won the regular season CCHA title, and lost to Michigan State in the CCHA tournament in double overtime after Brian Hills missed a penalty shot. That team was probably better than the 1984 team. BG should have made the tournament that year. Instead UMD was invited, the fourth place WCHA team.
                    If I recall, the Sioux hosted the tournment in 1983, we finished 3rd in the WCHA for the season. I thought we got the shaft when they passed us up for 4th place Duluth, but I thought Bowling Green really got the shaft.

I was at the championship game, Wisconson won it. After the game their pep band played for about an hour and we sat and watched all of the Wisconson fans dancing and having a great time on the ice. Good memories!

Comment

FYI, I was originally going to say, "every game we've lost to St. Cloud in the last decade", but then I realized that I would just have to watch Tech lose every single one of those games again, so forget it.

A do-over of the entire 08-09 season would also be an appropriate response for any MTU fan. Maybe without all the injuries, we could've gotten to 10 wins...

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
                        My Do over would come a year earlier in 1983. BG was ranked fourth in the nation, won the regular season CCHA title, and lost to Michigan State in the CCHA tournament in double overtime after Brian Hills missed a penalty shot. That team was probably better than the 1984 team. BG should have made the tournament that year. Instead UMD was invited, the fourth place WCHA team.
                        I'm going to defend UMD's honor here. This pick wasn't really that outrageous if you look at the numbers.

In 1982-83:
                        - The CCHA was 1-13-1 against the WCHA that year (I could be missing an Illinois-Chicago game somewhere).
                        - Bowling Green's best non-conference win that year was against Brown, who was about as good then as they are now (BG did manage a tie against Wisconsin).

The closest analog to this today would be an Atlantic Hockey regular season champion that failed to win the conference tournament.

As for why UMD got picked over North Dakota:
                        - UMD played a much tougher conference schedule than North Dakota. UMD played 12 games against the top two WCHA teams and 8 against the bottom two. For UND this was reversed. They only finished 4 points apart.
                        - UMD was 11-1-1 in nonconference play. UND was 3-1 in nonconference play vs NCAA opponents, and 2 of the 3 wins were against US International.
                        - UMD was 4-2 against North Dakota

I'm not saying any of this made UMD a slam dunk but I'd say it's enough to make it a reasonable pick.

Comment

bumpreader,

I would not have called the CCHA at that time Atlantic Hockey. BG was a final four team in 1978 finishing third beating Wisconsin in the consolation game. Northern Michigan lost in the finals in 1980 or 81 so the CCHA had shown the ability to get to the final four. BG that season was 28 - 8 - 4 and ranked fourth at the time of the double overtime loss. Eight teams make the tournament. BG should have been one of the eight.

To those fans of Atlantic Hockey, I am not trying to put your league down. The CCHA in the late 70's had to fight for recognition.

Comment

Not having read the whole thread, these may all be repeats;

1989 - just felt like they had the team and deserved it. I know the post was mentioned already. I know one guy from the team who still whinces while talking about that game (only heard him mention it once though).

The Michigan circus/lacrosse goal - felt MN was the better team.

Aaron Broten steps accross the bluline and fires a rocket, that from my vantage point, clearly goes through the net. Ruled no goal when refs couldn't find hole. They then find the hole between periods and patch it, but too late to count the goal. Tough when a ref call is clearly wrong (not like the interpretation of whether a penalty should have, or shouldn't have been called) and likely costs the game.

Holy Cross - Gopher team had as much talent as any in the country that year, in my mind, didn't show up for this game and still should have been able to beat Holy Cross just on talent.

There are a number of games where I felt they outplayed the opponent, didn't get the bounce and lost, or played a lesser talented team and didn't show up. I'm not sure which is more frustrating.

At the same time, the memory of these losses and the realization that regardless of talent, there is always a little luck involved, is what makes the big victories that much sweeter.

Comment

For Quinnipiac, its gotta be the Atlantic Hockey Championship Game from 2005. Last year in the league, at our home barn, we lose to Mercyhurst in OT. Just a crushing, crushing loss.

Or you could pick the Cornell playoff game from 2007, after winning in OT, Matt Sorteberg gets his ankle torn up in the post-game celebration pile and QU's defense basically loses steam in the ECAC Championship Game the following weekend, blowing a 2 goal lead through 40 minutes.

Comment

God d@mn you, Holy Cross! I'm too young to remember anything in the early 90s.
                                Gordan Bombay is my hero.

Comment

Working...
                                X