Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your one do-over.

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    October 18, 2003, NMU at MTU. Let the box score speak for itself.

Either that, or this game against #1 UND. That game was the loudest I have ever heard the MacInnes get.
    http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20000...e=slu&gender=m

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/19992000/m/03/26/bu-slu.php

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
      I think I speak for all SLU fans when I say 1988 NC game vs LSSU in Lake Placid.

Another thread thought: Game you would most like to Re-live and be at again, sort of an epitome of games thread.
      2004 ncaa semifinal game--DU vs tUMD. Hobey Winner Junior Lessard scores 2 goals and stakes the Bulldogs to a 3-1 lead. And then, and then Berkhoel stones Lessard and DU rallies and wins the game 5-3.

The championship game that same year cannot be ignored. Just watching on tv that last 90 interminably long seconds with Maine skating with a 6 on 3 advantage; pucks clanging off the post, DU's defensemen throwng their bodies at the pucks, and Adam Berkhoel stopping shot after shot.
      Still takes my breath away.
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
        Another thread thought: Game you would most like to Re-live and be at again, sort of an epitome of games thread.
        I was at both the tUMD & BU comeback games this spring during the NCAA tournament. Wow, what a privilege as a hockey fan!

I don't anticipate ever seeing such thrilling finishes again, let alone two within a few weeks of each other. This, of course, jinxes the Gophers to lose a in a similar heartbreaker next spring.
        Last edited by Greyeagle; 07-10-2009, 08:35 PM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
        Twenty red lights in his honor
        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by beersong View Post
          As much as the semifinal loss in 2004 to Denver sucked, no doubt this is the ultimate one "do-over" for tUMD hockey.

1984 National Title Game
          Bowling Green's opponent for the title game was the University of Minnesota-Duluth, the top-ranked team in the country. The Falcons were ranked fourth, despite a better record by eight points over the Bulldogs. BG jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, but by the end of two periods, trailed by the score of 3-1. Less than a minute into the final period, UMD had scored again, and kept the three-goal lead through the first 12 minutes of the period, until Bowling Green pulled within 4-2.

The Falcons came alive shortly after that goal, scoring again at the 6:18 mark to pull within one, then used a little help from the "hockey gods" to pull even.

With just about two minutes left to play, Bowling Green defenseman Wayne Wilson dumped the puck around the boards, some believe the play was offsides, others more vehemently argue that icing should have been called. As UMD goalie Rick Kosti skated behind his net to play the puck, it hit a screw or a crack, or something in the boards and popped out in front of the net. Senior center John Samanski tapped it in for his 25th goal of the year, tying the score at four with 1:47 to play.

Tied after regulation, the teams played a 10 minute overtime period, then another, and another. The Bulldogs dominated play, but Kruzich came up big time and time again to keep the Falcons' title hopes alive. Finally, with just under three minutes left in the fourth overtime, after 97 minutes and 11 seconds of hockey, senior Dan Kane fed a perfect pass to sophomore Gino Cavallini, who's backhand shot beat Kosti and brought the national championship to Bowling Green.

Absolutely devastating.

No doubt the 1984 title game is THE do over for me.

To add insult to injury the 1985 national semi-final versus RPI having a goal waived off for being played with a high stick when it was clearly batted in below the cross bar. End up losing in OT.... I even remember the referees name that waived it off....Cupka - might be spelling his name wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyJock View Post
            No doubt the 1984 title game is THE do over for me.

To add insult to injury the 1985 national semi-final versus RPI having a goal waived off for being played with a high stick when it was clearly batted in below the cross bar. End up losing in OT.... I even remember the referees name that waived it off....Cupka - might be spelling his name wrong though.
            Having a healthy Matt Christiansen's for all of the '86 season would have been another outstanding chance for tUMD to snag a title. They were loaded again that season and Matty's stroke late in the year devastated the team.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyJock View Post
              I don't recall that play at all.

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
              I would love to have a do-over of just one particular faceoff in the 1985 national championship game between RPI and Providence.
              I remember that one.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

2004 Hockey East Championship Game - Early in the game UMass appears to score to go up 1-0, but Kevin Jarman's skate is in slightly in the crease..similiar to the Denver-Maine game..and the goal is called back. Game goes into overtime tied at 1-1 and Thomas Pock gets his own rebound facing an open-net which appears to win the Minutemen the championship, but Howard makes an impossible save on two pads. UMass goes on to lose game in Triple OT when Ben Murphy deflects a seemingly harmless shot from the blue line.

A close 2nd would be the 2007 East Regional Finals against who else, but Maine. After beating Maine four straight times in the past two weeks our good friend Ben Bishop decides to return and soils UMass' Frozen Four hopes winning 3-1. Game winning goal scored by Mike Hamilton off Quick's head..awful!
                Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Alaska Anchorage at Boston College, 1991, NCAA First Round. UAA wins Game One, 3-2, late on a deflected shot from the high slot, and goes on to win the best-of-three series in two games. A tremendous BC season that started to unravel beginning with a Beanpot title game loss to BU one month earlier comes to an ignominious end versus an upstart independent.

Comment

As a UVM fan, only one jumps to mind....

Cincinnati, 1996 National Semi-Final game

Hand pass goal scored by Colorado College, with the ice a complete mess, in double overtime that sent CC into the title game against Michigan.

Talent was on that UVM team, as they have a former NHL MVP, NHL scoring leader, and Vezina Trophy winner from that year.
                    Watching UVM hockey from afar.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      I don't recall that play at all.

Your excused...it took place a quarter of a century ago. I used to have the 1985 semi-final game on tape but recorded over it a few years later. Same story with the 1984 title game...now I wish I still had them even though Duluth lost.
                      Last edited by HockeyJock; 07-11-2009, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                        It's been 32 years. May want to move on.
                        I'm a Red Sox lifer. Bad things tend to stick with you....
                        1967, 1975, 1978, 1986, 2003... However they have been swept away by 2004 and 2007.. But if Game 6 comes on MLB or ESPNC, I manage to miss it.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          I'm a Red Sox lifer. Bad things tend to stick with you....
                          1967, 1975, 1978, 1986, 2003... However they have been swept away by 2004 and 2007.. But if Game 6 comes on MLB or ESPNC, I manage to miss it.

Was that Buckner ... or Bucky?

Comment

Not necessarily a do-over situation, but 20-20-4, 6th place in CCHA, .5097 RPI(23rd overall) Northern Michigan > 19-16-4, 4th place in WCHA, .5272 RPI(14th overall) Minnesota State is one of the most frustrating things I've ever seen.
                            Originally posted by dicaslover
                            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Beer song and Hockey Jock,

If you watch the 1984 national championship game carefully you will see that Bowling Green had a goal denied by a hand pass call. The puck clearly bounced off a BG player's body to the goal scorer. I have always considered that lucky bounce the call that made it even.

My Do over would come a year earlier in 1983. BG was ranked fourth in the nation, won the regular season CCHA title, and lost to Michigan State in the CCHA tournament in double overtime after Brian Hills missed a penalty shot. That team was probably better than the 1984 team. BG should have made the tournament that year. Instead UMD was invited, the fourth place WCHA team.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                                This game is the first one that popped in my head. It was probably the most difficult loss for me in my books. That Sioux team was definitely stacked and definitely could have been on the cusp of a National Title year. They were simply an amazing team all season long to only lose a heartbreaker in the post-season.

Comment

Working...
                                X