Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Second

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Two excellent sites for college athletic budgets. You can find Tech's info on the second site.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...a-finances.htm

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

Tech's total AD budget is at the bottom of the WCHA and isn't even in sight of the Big Ten schools total budgets. As far as the hockey budget goes they maybe a lot closer to what the other schools are spending, but they are still at the bottom of the league.

For Tech, there is no breakdown that shows their marketing budget and this is one area where tech is truly at a major disadvantage. Some of the Big 10 schools athletic departments are spending 1.5 to 2 million on marketing. As we know Tech (Athletic Department and/or the school as a whole) does almost no marketing downstate.

When it comes to WCHA "welfare" how is that different from schools that balance their books with the money pooled from other schools in their league appearances in BCS games? Or worse, athletic departments that balance their books by borrowing from their schools general fund. That sounds like the true "welfare" to me!

For a great look at the slimy side of big time college finances go get a copy of Death to the BCS.

Division 1 BCS schools increasingly dependent on subsidies from the schools general funds.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...terstitialskip
    Last edited by The Troll mtu86; 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

And to make my point on marketing: As I finished typing the last post what should appear on the tv but an ad for Ferris State. In my forty plus years I've never seen one single ad for Michigan Tech on tv.....

Comment

For my part, one more time, I support coach Russell. I agree that the results on the ice do not justify keeping him, however I do not think that there is someone out there who will do a better job, and I have seen a lot of coaches who do not run the quality of on ice programs that Russell does. I think the circumstances have resulted in a lot fewer wins than otherwise might be the case. I am not trying to change anyone's mind about the coach, you have your own opinion, but I think the circumstances justify a short extension.
        I think Tech's lack of marketing is hurting recruiting. As I said about a week ago, the SID could do a hell of a lot more to get exposure. I have seen a very rare MTU ad, maybe one every 6 or 7 years.
        The biggest question in my mind is, "Why do the players play one night, and not the next?"
        I am going to continue to donate and I am actually going to up my donation.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

An ad that wasn't in relation to the GLI or that football game against NMU that made it on tv a few years ago?

Tech doesn't handle the marketing for the GLI. That is the sole responsiblity of Joe Louis Arena. I was a little shocked to discover that.

Comment

Well, manurespreader, if there is one thing that we can all agree with, it is that our SID is horse****.
            We are probably the only fanbase on this board to ever have a "Fire _______" thread for our SID.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Chris Conner just had a penalty shot goal against the Red Wings, FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
                Chris Conner just had a penalty shot goal against the Red Wings, FYI.
                sweet!
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Chris Connor scoring on a penalty shot is about the only way tech gets mentioned on TV down here anymore

The SID probably considers that as marketing..

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                    It's hard to get a handle on consensus, but I think I would agree that the tide has been turning toward a replacement pretty consistently for the last couple years, with the exception of the start of the season. Is it 5-1, 2-1? Who knows. I will say that the email that Ryan sent in support of Coach was much more professional than most of the comments I've seen for a change. I'm referring to comments at games, etc., not the comments on this board where even those ready for a change are clearly supporters of Russell as a person.

Personally, I could go either way. If Russell is here for one more year on the contract and has that last chance, that's fine with me (whether it's reasonable to expect players to play hard for a coach without long term admin support is a different and valid question), and if he's replaced, then let's see what the next guy can do that the last 6 didn't...
                    The Commissioner has always asked, "Unless it involves death or taxes, why are we delaying the inevitable?"

Tech's coach, despite all his attributes and likeability, cannot be expected to change the Perpetual Losing Culture because he has become part of that Culture. If there is going to be change, he and his staff have to be part of that change. To delay it any longer than a day after the season ends is a dereliction of duty by the administration.

The Commissioner won't support a coaching change unless the AD and the person she reports to are reassigned also. The Perpetual Losing Culture is just as much a way of life with those who wear the suits as those who wear the skates.

Comment

Does Suzanne really have a choice about getting a new coach? She should be taking heat for not pulling the plug after last years 5 win season, how can she not pull the plug after a season that could be worse than that.

Regarding people praising Jamie's recruiting, what am I missing. Yes he gets some grinders and some players that played hard or were leaders on their previous teams. There have been some nice surprises, but we don't have the talent to score goals in the WCHA. We've been missing wide open nets for years. I'm not expecting USNTDP players, but we should be able to beat out some non WCHA schools for some talent so we can have a couple serious scoring lines.

Comment

From what I have observed over the last 4.5 years or so, it takes two consistent scoring lines to be competitive in the WCHA. While I think that Russell's recruiting efforts have been reasonably sound, he has, for whatever reason (injuries, lack of player development), never really achieved that.

As much as some of us young folks like to get down on Suzanne and her attempts to sanitize the band, the hockey team's failures are not the AD's fault in this instance.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Commissioner View Post
                          The Commissioner has always asked...
                          Max Foul - only the MTU vs tUMD thread may be posted as third person.

But on the sunny side of life, I have found a team that I think can lead the Huskies to the promised land. They are the duo known as "Tech Team". If they can save the world from an evil villian, they should at least be able to save us from a sub-.500 hockey record. (Just some photos of an item I purchased off Ebay. It was too strange to pass up and was created by legendary comic book writer Norm Breyfogle who went on to create Batman for DC Comics.)

http://i.ebayimg.com/12/!B9Or5Dg!mk~$(KGrHqQOKoYEz!t)jnMpBM5KtbgW1!~~_12.J PG
                          http://i.ebayimg.com/07/!B9OsWRgBmk~$(KGrHqEOKn!EywoiFsG-BM5KvYCe+!~~_12.JPG
                          http://i.ebayimg.com/06/!B9OsdNgCWk~$(KGrHqQOKnUEy0HPFSr!BM5Kv0bYf!~~_12.J PG

Ryan J
                          Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 01-18-2011, 09:58 PM.
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

That is too funny!

Comment

bump a rumpa
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Blake Pietila came through with a public commitment. Jamie Russell for President!
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X