Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Second

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
    And also a no brainer that Russell should have been gone after his 5-30 season last year.
    gezzzz. I'm tempted to say this myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRzMt...eature=related
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

There are only three conditions that necessitate firing a coach in mid-season. He has not committed any major NCAA infractions, so #3 is out.

The first and second conditions must occur simultaneously.

First, the team must have ceased to be competitive and the coach must have 'lost the team'. There have been competitive moments in this winless stretch, but the results have been pretty awful. There seems to be isolated discipline and attitude problems popping up, but I am not in the room, and so I don't know if coach has lost the team.

More importantly, the second facet: The future coach must already be on the staff, or willing to step in immediately with the interim tag. Thus, unless Damon Whitten (or Pat Mikesch, I suppose) is the future head coach of the Michigan Tech Huskies, it makes no sense to release Coach Russell at this point. If we are going to search for and select a coach after the season, why change twice behind the bench? If you don't have the 'coach of the future' in house, you gain nothing by making the decision now instead of in March. If Whitten is the guy, then you could conceivably make the change now and let him get a head start on his recruiting class.

Any decision has to be made with the future in mind. How does waiting to make a decision affect recruiting, and thus the next 5-6 years? How will the decision affect the recruits, especially those that are only verbally committed?

So, we are likely to ride out this wave. My only worry is that we will show 'signs of life' towards the end of the season, extend the coach, and then find ourselves in this usual November/December stretch next season and wondering if maybe we should have changed coaches. If we show improvements at the end of the year, I hope they are tangible and carry over.
      Philbert
      ---------------
      Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
      GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

I think that there is a fourth scenario. If players start/keep quitting or being dismissed from the team because almost no one respects and wants the coach. I don't know if that has happened here, just saying that would be a good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
          I think that there is a fourth scenario. If players start/keep quitting or being dismissed from the team because almost no one respects and wants the coach. I don't know if that has happened here, just saying that would be a good reason.
          That ties back into the coach 'losing the team'. I fear that we're teetering on the brink of that, if it hasn't already happened.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            That ties back into the coach 'losing the team'. I fear that we're teetering on the brink of that, if it hasn't already happened.
            Touche. Misread.

Comment

If anyone paid attention to the Gophers football search, fans and the AD wanted a recoginzable name as the next coach, but coaches just weren't interested in going to a program that constantly struggles to win. Why would a big name coach come to Tech, Suzanne will have to take her chances with some college assistant somewhere that would accept Tech's offered salary.

Looking at the Tech Game Notes, there is no mention of an Anthony Schooley playing for this team anywhere in the document, so he's gone. It looks like the only player change last weekend was Stebner in for Reddick on Saturday, everyone else is injured or Heitala who is redshirting I guess.

The losing streak and all the drama is getting depressing. I'll be in Omaha this weekend, and this was planned awhile back when Tech started okay and Omaha was okay, now both teams have gone in opposite directions and it should be a one sided affair.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                If anyone paid attention to the Gophers football search, fans and the AD wanted a recoginzable name as the next coach, but coaches just weren't interested in going to a program that constantly struggles to win. Why would a big name coach come to Tech, Suzanne will have to take her chances with some college assistant somewhere that would accept Tech's offered salary.

Looking at the Tech Game Notes, there is no mention of an Anthony Schooley playing for this team anywhere in the document, so he's gone. It looks like the only player change last weekend was Stebner in for Reddick on Saturday, everyone else is injured or Heitala who is redshirting I guess.

The losing streak and all the drama is getting depressing. I'll be in Omaha this weekend, and this was planned awhile back when Tech started okay and Omaha was okay, now both teams have gone in opposite directions and it should be a one sided affair.
                Schooley is still on MTU's roster on michigantechhuskies.com unlike Kattelus...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

any news on the recruiting front shirtless.? time's a wastin you know.

Comment

No drive time today with both basketball and the hockey coache on the road with Thursday games

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
                      No, I think Tech pays them $150K and the enrichment fund pays them $100-$150K for a total of $250-$300K; with that kind of money offered, they'd have alot of notable coaches interested. Especially given the job security at MTU.
                      I find it hard to believe that Tech pays Russell that kind of money. If so, they need to ride him out of town on a rail. Someone needs to drop a Freedom of Information Act request on Suzanne's desk to find out his true compensation. Actually, someone ought to do it for all of the public schools in the WCHA.

Mel Pearson would be at the top of my list for a new head coach. I can't believe we let him get away back in 1988. Another Rick Yeo screw up...
                      "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                      Abe Lincoln

Comment

Coach Russell makes a base salary of $121,178 from Michigan Tech. This data gets published because we are a public institution. You can find the salary of any full-time employee of Michigan Tech.

http://www.usg.mtu.edu/new_usg/docum...%20Booklet.pdf

Not sure what the other compensations that were mentioned would be. Something tells me that this number doesn't have to be released.
                        Philbert
                        ---------------

Comment

well seems to me there are two keys to winning this weekend.
                          1. the pp has to be better. UNO pressures the puck. CC was very successful last week in overloading the pp on the strong side and forcing the puck carrier to get rid of it, often in ways he didn't want. So to defeat this we have to have a lot of very quick puck movement. We did not set up well and had trouble getting the puck over the line on the pp without just dumping it in. CC also was good at blocking shots and we did not do a good job of handling that, shooting weakly from the points. I think we should take a page from the red wings and move someone up the slot and try to get him the puck instead of having everyone down low. this might free something up on the back door, especially if the weak side defenseman moved forward.
                          2. we have to break out of the zone 5x5 better. last week we did a descent job at times and when we did, we controlled play, but often we were tentative as the puck got out near the blue line. it has to come out of there in a really positive way, not just sent out to their point man who has backed up too much.

Comment

Holy ****. There is this wonderful thing called google, I just did 1 search and found the salaries for 4 different WCHA coaches! This is a miracle!

http://ww3.startribune.com/dynamic/s...&ent_code=UMTC
                            Don Lucia - $497,120
                            http://ww3.startribune.com/dynamic/s...&ent_code=UMDu
                            Scott Sandelin - $139,250
                            http://ww3.startribune.com/dynamic/s...ent_code=MnSCU
                            Bob Motzko - $151,353
                            http://ww3.startribune.com/dynamic/s...ent_code=MnSCU
                            Troy Jutting - $133,446
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                              Mel Pearson would be at the top of my list for a new head coach. I can't believe we let him get away back in 1988. Another Rick Yeo screw up...
                              Base coach salaries for every public college and university are readily available. I'm sure that with a little sniffing around, you could take an educated guess at any bonuses too.

Rolston may have an outside shot at the Michigan job in a few years, but Pearson is likely the first coach in line. Plus, it is rumored that Pearson vowed he would never even consider the Tech job again after they hired Watters.

Comment

What I gather from this is that we are obviously not in the same category as the University of Minnesota as far as compensation goes, but I think that was pretty obvious.

However, we are in the ball-park of the other Minnesota institutions. Unless they receive huge bonuses from their supporting programs, it would seem that salary isn't as big of a discrepancy that some are making it out to be. While Jutting isn't exactly a quality coach, one could argue that Motzko and Sandelin run programs that we could envy and hopefully duplicate (very good every few years, not stuck in the basement every year). The cost of living in the Copper Country is pretty good, so that salary goes farther.

So, there must be some other reason. Oh yeah, a hard academic school in the middle of nowhere that has struggled for 30 years that received 200+ inches of snow every year. It wouldn't surprise me if taking the head coaching position at this school is thought of as "career suicide" for an up-and-coming coach. If you come to Houghton with a growing career, you might be working yourself out of the head coaching ranks in 8 years of losing, and uncertain that you will ever get another opportunity. Coach Russell had an excellent reputation as an assistant and came here after being a part of a Frozen Four program, and his career projection was high. He came back to his alma matter, and 8 years later, you wonder if he will find another head coaching job at this level after what has transpired.

I think the reputation and risk make this job a harder sell than the salary.
                                Philbert
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X