Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Second

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I disagree that the consensus is to keep Russell. I think many of us fans, myself included, that have stood behind Jamie for his entire tenure have simply had enough. I know several posters on here that have jumped sides and now believe that a change is needed, in fact, I find it hard to see it any other way. It is significant that many of the people that are now in favor of a coaching change are the same people that have been standing up for Coach Russell for several years. I posted last year at about this same time that we can't get rid of Coach Russell, because he deserves one more year, and if he's in the same situation in 1 year (now), then everything would have to be evaluated, and that I would probably be in favor of a coaching change. That is where we are right now.

The fact that Jamie has been a complete class act, extremely approachable and kind whenever anyone interacts with him makes this very tough, but at some point, what can you do? The wins aren't there and we're in a worse spot than the year before, when we were in a worse spot than the year before that. There is no doubt that Jamie Russell knows hockey better than anyone that posts on this board, and that he is one of the nicest people we've encountered in hockey, it is just too bad that it hasn't translated into wins.
    It's hard to get a handle on consensus, but I think I would agree that the tied has been turning toward a replacement pretty consistently for the last couple years, with the exception of the start of the season. Is it 5-1, 2-1? Who knows. I will say that the email that Ryan sent in support of Coach was much more professional than most of the comments I've seen for a change. I'm referring to comments at games, etc., not the comments on this board where even those ready for a change are clearly supporters of Russell as a person.

Personally, I could go either way. If Russell is here for one more year on the contract and has that last chance, that's fine with me (whether it's reasonable to expect players to play hard for a coach without long term admin support is a different and valid question), and if he's replaced, then let's see what the next guy can do that the last 6 didn't...

Comment

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Maybe Sertie wants to get back into D1 coaching!

Or better yet, lets get Wooger!
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
        Personally, I could go either way. If Russell is here for one more year on the contract and has that last chance, that's fine with me
        Let me check... nope, too soon. I'll get there by Friday afternoon.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Well seems to me the only thing that is for certain is that it will get a lot more difficult. As D 1 moves toward the BTHC I think it's reasonable to expect that the cost of a competitive program could go up a lot. I would hope we are all prepared for the demands that is going to impose.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            I would hope we are all prepared for the demands that is going to impose.
            Yes, I'm prepared for the possibility of losing the program in the event of a BTHC.

Comment

I had a dream a couple nights ago, involving Tech.

You guys were down 4-0 in the 2nd period when the coach called a timeout. He gave a speech, but I don't remember much of the details. Anyway you guys came back to win 5-4 against a team that started with an M. Looking at the schedule, that leaves MN-Duluth and Minnesota.

Yes, this is completely random and offers no insight, but this is the first college hockey dream I've had in about 3 months and the first I can remember about Tech.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

So I got bored here today, I know bigblue and I talked about this stuff saturday at the bar but is here is my list of guys:
                College Asisstants:
                Cary Eades - UND Top Assistant
                Steve Rohlik - OSU Top Assitant
                Steve Miller - DU Top Assitant
                Mike Guentzel - UNO Assitant
                Ron Rolston - USNDPT
                Mel Pearson - Michigan Top Assitant

Others:
                Rick Comley - MSU Head Coach, if he somehow got fired

USHL Head Coaches:
                Eric Rud - Green Bay
                Mark Carlson - Cedar Rapids
                Mike Montgomery - Dubuque
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I think Russell is reading the press clippings :/

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5062

["People are upset that we're not getting results and I understand that," Russell said. "I'm not going to make excuses, but if people want to be upset they can be upset with me.

"I won't throw my players under the bus. I won't throw my assistants under the bus. I won't throw our training staff under the bus, so if they (the fans) want to be upset, they can be upset with me."]

and

["It's been absurd, the volume and the severity of the injuries," Russell said. "We've looked at everything from how we practice to how we train. I don't think you can plan or prevent broken fingers, broken ankles, fractures.

"If you have issues with pulled hamstrings, groin injuries, abdomens, lower back, then maybe it's something you're doing in your training. Those aren't the injuries we've had. We haven't had minor injuries.

"We had injuries that have cost players seasons. We had injuries that have cost players nine or 10 weeks, and as a young team, that's difficult to recover from."]
                  Philbert
                  ---------------
                  Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
                  GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post

Others:
                    Rick Comley - MSU Head Coach, if he somehow got fired
                    Rick Comley is like 400 years old is putting up Tech-like performances Michigan State. Why would he be an upgrade?
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Gordic, Aaron Pietila, Mikael Lickteig and one of Tech's top four defensemen are doubtful for this weekend's series with Duluth.
                      *sigh*

And I want nothing to do with Comley. He's likely to retire anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHatTrick84 View Post
                        I think Russell is reading the press clippings :/

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5062

["People are upset that we're not getting results and I understand that," Russell said. "I'm not going to make excuses, but if people want to be upset they can be upset with me.

"I won't throw my players under the bus. I won't throw my assistants under the bus. I won't throw our training staff under the bus, so if they (the fans) want to be upset, they can be upset with me."]

and

["It's been absurd, the volume and the severity of the injuries," Russell said. "We've looked at everything from how we practice to how we train. I don't think you can plan or prevent broken fingers, broken ankles, fractures.

"If you have issues with pulled hamstrings, groin injuries, abdomens, lower back, then maybe it's something you're doing in your training. Those aren't the injuries we've had. We haven't had minor injuries.

"We had injuries that have cost players seasons. We had injuries that have cost players nine or 10 weeks, and as a young team, that's difficult to recover from."]
                        I can't argue with that assessment of things. Its been crazy bad the amount of injuries and the wide variety encountered by this team over the last 3 years. I'm certain Russell has looked into it but broken bones aren't something you can really prevent from a conditioning/workout standpoint. He doesn't deserve the fate he's had the last 3 years but at the same time, its never ending.

Maize:
                        The guy has won 2 national championships and Im pretty sure MTU fans would take his worst 4 season stretch any day:
                        13-24-3; 7-30-2; 13-24-3; 19-15-4
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I had a thought as soon as I posted, but I had to run and check something in the lab: The injuries sustained may not be training related, but could there possibly be another explanation for a seemingly random set of catostrophic injuries. What initially crossed my mind involved players being hurt because they are out of position or taking wrong angles on plays near the boards (or anywhere on the ice), which would come down to practice and preparation. Or, it could be something else that they are doing wrong (i.e. not protecting themselves while blocking shots) on the ice. I am not one to go back and analyze the injuries that we have had, especially since many occurred on the road at games that I was not in attendance for.

Injuries happen in sports. Some teams get lucky, other teams seem to be snake-bit. But I have to believe that there is a reason, or a combination of reasons, that would result in the seemingly statistical anomoly that is the Michigan Tech Huskies. There is a definite pattern here, and I am having a hard time buying "random" as the reason.
                          Philbert
                          ---------------
                          Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
                          GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

Russell's right about the injuries. and the fact that he doesn't diss on the players or other coaches is classy.

fans will have nothing to do with whether he stays or goes. it will be a university decision - probably with some input from major donors.
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHatTrick84 View Post
                              Injuries happen in sports. Some teams get lucky, other teams seem to be snake-bit. But I have to believe that there is a reason, or a combination of reasons, that would result in the seemingly statistical anomoly that is the Michigan Tech Huskies. There is a definite pattern here, and I am having a hard time buying "random" as the reason.
                              I would be interested to see what an independent athletic trainer would think of all the injuries. Is it something that can be prevented or is it bad luck?
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I also have been discussing the fate of JR with other Tech fans, much like anyone that watches and/or cares about Tech hockey. I am really on the fence about whether he should stay or go. Common sense tells you that the results speak for themselves regardless of the absurd injury toll this team has had for the past 3 seasons and the missing out on 2 or 3 prize recruits that were all but on campus (3 if you count trent). Sometimes just change is all you need and the shaking up that happens because of it. Then I think about the fact that JR is a great face for Tech. He seems to have all the intangibles you look for in a coach besides the wins,but wins trump everything else usually.
                                I have thought about this from a recruiting stand point and seems that JR was a very good recruiter at Cornell and Ferris and seems to be doing fairly good here. He has brought in some very talented hockey players that just never seem to reach their potential in college but go on to the AHL and NHL, maybe that is on him or maybe on his assistants, either way it ultimately falls on him. Like I have previously said, I am excited looking forward to next years team and the lines we'll be throwing out at the start of the season. The other part of recruiting is having the right connections and I wonder to myself now that JR has some established connections and shown that Tech is a viable route to reach the NHL under his control. Is that going to be the case with anyone they replace him with?

Then I think about the argument of just getting rid of the assistants, but the only one that has been there long enough to have any major impact is Mikesch (sp?). He also is a great guy that loves the program and hates to see the dredges it is in. Could another assistant be a better recruiter than him or run a better offense?? That is really the only question.

The last thought I have is that alumni and donors for the hockey program and people with an interest that don't live in the area or watch many, if any, of the games but only see the results would justifiably be calling for JR's head. The results are miserable. If these people are the ones that donate huge amounts of money and aren't seeing a return on their investment, then why would they send more if the University seems not to care enough to even try to get a new coach to try and snap the funk.

Ultimately, I personally would like to see JR get another shot at it, but I don't believe their is any way that the University will be able to keep him with the pressure that is mounting on them.

Comment

Working...
                                X