Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Second

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

I was finally disappointed enough by Saturday's fiasco to hop up on the "fire Russell" bandwagon. But in talking to a "former player who knows people", he is under contract for next season and the admin isn't willing to eat the contract to get rid of him a year early. So all this talk about replacements would seem to be 14 months premature; unless some wealthy alum is disgusted enough to make a conditional $120K donation.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Originally posted by geezer View Post
      I was finally disappointed enough by Saturday's fiasco to hop up on the "fire Russell" bandwagon. But in talking to a "former player who knows people", he is under contract for next season and the admin isn't willing to eat the contract to get rid of him a year early. So all this talk about replacements would seem to be 14 months premature; unless some wealthy alum is disgusted enough to make a conditional $120K donation.
      Maybe The Institution has the need for a $120k/year janitor somewhere.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

In this day and age, you can't have a coach go into the final year of his contract without an extension. I understand tech not wanting to eat that money but having a coach in his final year like that...if its anything like this year, it will only hurt things going forward with recruiting.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          In this day and age, you can't have a coach go into the final year of his contract without an extension. I understand tech not wanting to eat that money but having a coach in his final year like that...if its anything like this year, it will only hurt things going forward with recruiting.
          yeah, there's that. so a decision will have to be made this year I guess. Carry on with nominating your candidates.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
            Change the AD's boss? Wouldn't that be the president? You can't possibly be suggesting that you get rid of the president of the university because the hockey team is losing??? I apologize if I have my mental org chart messed up.
            I haven't seen the current org chart, but if memory serves correctly, the AD reports to a VP. This makes sense because it insulates the University President from potential problems arising in the athletic depart or with boosters.

Nevertheless, the AD is not being held accountable (yet) for Tech's highest profile athletic program turning into a national embarrassment. Would the administration stand by and watch Tech grads fall well below the national average in passing the EIT or gaining admittance to graduate schools? Why is the AD exempt from being taken to task for the neglect of an important part of the MTU franchise/tradition? Who is protecting her and why?

If the Tech name is going to be on something, then there should be resources AND the will dedicated to its success or else we shouldn't be doing it. It is not acceptable to say, "Oh, we run a clean program and our players graduate even though we don't win." Winning and graduating are not opposite outcomes and many schools, including Tech in the winning era, prove that.

This hockey season in Houghton is not an anomoly. The last decade is not an anomoly. The Perpetual Losing Culture(PLC) is so embedded in Tech hockey that even a man of high integrity and deep hockey knowledge like Coach Russell cannot change it. Change needs to happen higher in the org chart than the athletic department. Anything less is confirmation that the President tolerates the PLC.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Commissioner View Post
              I haven't seen the current org chart, but if memory serves correctly, the AD reports to a VP. This makes sense because it insulates the University President from potential problems arising in the athletic depart or with boosters.

Nevertheless, the AD is not being held accountable (yet) for Tech's highest profile athletic program turning into a national embarrassment. Would the administration stand by and watch Tech grads fall well below the national average in passing the EIT or gaining admittance to graduate schools? Why is the AD exempt from being taken to task for the neglect of an important part of the MTU franchise/tradition? Who is protecting her and why?

If the Tech name is going to be on something, then there should be resources AND the will dedicated to its success or else we shouldn't be doing it. It is not acceptable to say, "Oh, we run a clean program and our players graduate even though we don't win." Winning and graduating are not opposite outcomes and many schools, including Tech in the winning era, prove that.

This hockey season in Houghton is not an anomoly. The last decade is not an anomoly. The Perpetual Losing Culture(PLC) is so embedded in Tech hockey that even a man of high integrity and deep hockey knowledge like Coach Russell cannot change it. Change needs to happen higher in the org chart than the athletic department. Anything less is confirmation that the President tolerates the PLC.
              The football program is completely funded by donations from Alumni because the athletic department almost cut it. Do you really think MTU is financially able to spend MORE money on hockey now than they are?
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Russell's done a good job on almost everything but winning. recruiting (yeah, yeah I know some of you disagree, but I think something goes wrong AFTER the players get to Tech), fund raising, facilities upgrades, good spokesman for the program, etc etc. He would be the perfect hockey "AD". kick him upstairs so to speak. I doubt Tech has the $$$ to add the position though. and he may not be interested in it.

(topic change)

we attended Air Force hockey last weekend. Serratore (the coach) is something else. he's barking at the players the minute they come off the ice if they screwed something up. and his postgame show is a hoot. its a 10-15 minute "stream of consciousness" - all him - not questions from the announcer - and he does call out players, names names, talks about the team not being psychologically in the game. now here's a guy coaching a team - probably every single player on the team is 2x smarter than he is - and all are receiving extensive training in leadership - yet this rooster of a coach totally commands the players respect and gets results.

maybe Tech needs a heavier hand?
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

If nothing else, what you've revealed here is the handwriting on the wall.

Comment

Tech hockey has been receiving significant donation to renovate the arena and other hockey facilities. Maybe after a couple last improvements are complete (cough...video scoreboard...cough) that same revenue stream can be utilized into increasing the compensation for coaches and other hockey-specific athletic department positions.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The football program is completely funded by donations from Alumni because the athletic department almost cut it. Do you really think MTU is financially able to spend MORE money on hockey now than they are?
                      It takes X amount of dollars to compete at the D1 level. Notice the operative word is "compete," not 'win.' A look at Tech's record in the last 25 years doesn't give me a lot of warm and fuzzy feelings that we are competitive. We are playing the game, but are we really competing?

If we are spending LT than X dollars, then I must ask why the administration thinks they can get away with playing fast and loose with an important part of the University's tradition. If we are not going to do what it takes to compete, why continue to play the (D1) game?

It's not like MTU cannot tinker with the tradition when it no longer makes sense to continue with a loser. Notice that the school was born under the name Michigan College of Mines. How many students will receive Mining Engineering degrees this year?

Comment

How an administration responds to academic success of graduates vs hockey success are two different things. It's a university with a hockey program (insert sarcasm here), not a hockey organization with a school.

Having said that, I do like the idea of a dedicated AD for hockey in some capacity. Money is tight, but it always seems to show up somehow for things that the administration really cares about. Should hockey be one of those things? That's not a question I'm qualified to answer.

Comment

It takes X amount of dollars to compete at the D1 level. Notice the operative word is "compete," not 'win.' A look at Tech's record in the last 25 years doesn't give me a lot of warm and fuzzy feelings that we are competitive. We are playing the game, but are we really competing?

If we are spending LT than X dollars, then I must ask why the administration thinks they can get away with playing fast and loose with an important part of the University's tradition. If we are not going to do what it takes to compete, why continue to play the (D1) game?

It's not like MTU cannot tinker with the tradition when it no longer makes sense to continue with a loser. Notice that the school was born under the name Michigan College of Mines. How many students will receive Mining Engineering degrees this year?
                          wait, what? If you're suggesting that MTU should drop hockey, why are you here posting at all? Go play with your Wii.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            wait, what? If you're suggesting that MTU should drop hockey, why are you here posting at all? Go play with your Wii.
                            I'm suggesting the administration, to use an old cliche, either 'crap or get off the pot.' Or if you are an angler, 'fish or cut bait.'

BTW, what's a "Wii?"
                            Last edited by The_Commissioner; 01-17-2011, 10:52 AM. Reason: spell check

Comment

The commissioner makes a very good point. If the argument is that money is too tight to invest in the hockey program further, then one has to ask if the money already invested is wasted at a time when money is tight. If you need a car, you can't buy just the body, and then explain that it doesn't move because you can't afford the engine. At that point whatever money you spend on the body is a waste because it just sits in your driveway while you walk to work.

Either buy the whole car, or move to the scooter league???

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                                The commissioner makes a very good point. If the argument is that money is too tight to invest in the hockey program further, then one has to ask if the money already invested is wasted at a time when money is tight. If you need a car, you can't buy just the body, and then explain that it doesn't move because you can't afford the engine. At that point whatever money you spend on the body is a waste because it just sits in your driveway while you walk to work.

Either buy the whole car, or move to the scooter league???
                                I dont even know why I get involved in this kind of crap. The Hockey program isn't going anywhere because it doesn't lose money for the University thanks to the WCHA check. The School has been investing tons of money into infrastructure thanks to donations that allowed for new seats, suites, boxes and other things like the treadmill. It could be considered appropriate to discuss whether those were the right investments instead of paying more for the staff around Russell. Huskyfan brought up probably the biggest argument against Russell besides his record. The apparent lack of development from players after they get here. Recruiting does seem to be pretty good but players seem to plateau some time before their junior year.

Comment

Working...
                                X