Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Second

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Fair enough. Changing a culture is not an easy task, nor should it be. Learning to succeed is one of the many life lessons Tech will instill in those that make it through, and those of us that went here know the price of that. Winning on the ice should be no different of a lesson.

I guess my optimism is that SLU represents possibly the weakest team that we have faced over this streak, and the team is coming home (which made no difference for Minn or CC, however). To build on this program, Tech needs to be able to beat these ECAC teams with similar records. Maybe it is my Western college hockey bias, but the bottom team in the WCHA should be better than a bottom-third team in the ECAC. We no longer know if that is the case with Tech, but I guess we will find out.

Just over two hours to face-off. Go Tech.
    Philbert
    ---------------
    Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
    GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

SLU is a capable team as their win over a very tough UNH squad shows. However they do make mistakes in their own end and if we can capitalize on those it will be a good series. I think our goaltending is better than most people think. Goooo.. Huskies!
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I am new to the USCHO boards and I do not feel like reading 40 pages of old posts but I hope that this has been the major topic so far. This has to be Russells last season, 69-182-35 (wins in less that 25% of his games) in his 8th season, enough said! I know Tech is a hard place to recruit but get real the team is a joke and has been for the last 8 years.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHOCKEY View Post
          I am new to the USCHO boards and I do not feel like reading 40 pages of old posts but I hope that this has been the major topic so far. This has to be Russells last season, 69-182-35 (wins in less that 25% of his games) in his 8th season, enough said! I know Tech is a hard place to recruit but get real the team is a joke and has been for the last 8 years.
          Welcome to the sh*t show. Please leave sanity at the door.

Comment

JSR has a number of aliases it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by mtuhockey View Post
              i am new to the uscho boards and i do not feel like reading 40 pages of old posts but i hope that this has been the major topic so far. This has to be russells last season, 69-182-35 (wins in less that 25% of his games) in his 8th season, enough said! I know tech is a hard place to recruit but get real the team is a joke and has been for the last 30 years.
              fyp
              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I like how the gopher announcers say that UND is the #1 team in the country, because obviously Yale just doesn't matter.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

*****http://www.x-entertainment.com/pics/kool1.jpg******

Comment

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VHTLIi3erIg?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VHTLIi3erIg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
                    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

We didn't lose! Jamie sounded a lot happier in his postgame interview.

Jamie's postgame thoughts:
                      Olson is such a leader in the locker room and on the bench, he makes a huge difference
                      Almost had game winner in OT, logged a ton of ice time
                      A lot of our younger guys haven't been in the OT situation, the ice is bad, can't make complicated plays, need solid plays
                      On SHG, had a Dmen that pinched down, but he missed the puck and the man, so 2x1, veteran Dman made the mistake
                      Pietila, he'll be reevaluated tomorrow, will not play tomorrow
                      Pietila, Rix, Johsntone line play with good speed, getting some chemistry
                      Went down to three lines when Pietila went down, Holmberg moved up
                      Holmberg had a nice night in the faceoff circle
                      St. Lawrence's PK got bettter on the game, but we were still 25% on PP
                      Had more pressure on offense, drew penalties

Comment

pretty worried about Pietila. We were better with him in the lineup. We need him back, he scores goals. Shots were 43 to 33, most shots Tech has had in a year I'd bet.

Glad I didn't go to Houghton, with all the snow I'd never get out of there.
                        Tech was very flat in the third and played very defensive a lot of the period. Tech did pressure the puck in the offensive end quite a bit during the game and got good results with it. The OT was better really.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          pretty worried about Pietila. We were better with him in the lineup. We need him back, he scores goals. Shots were 43 to 33, most shots Tech has had in a year I'd bet.

Glad I didn't go to Houghton, with all the snow I'd never get out of there.
                          Tech was very flat in the third and played very defensive a lot of the period. Tech did pressure the puck in the offensive end quite a bit during the game and got good results with it. The OT was better really.
                          And he (Pietila) works hard. Tech did a good job of working the offensive zone. The main issues came in the neutral zone. I don't mind the dump and chase when you are the bigger team, but you have to chase after you dump. I thought the biggest difference tonight was the faceoffs. They were consistently winning draws (until I pointed this out, at which point they didn't win anymore).

I was also really impressed with how they responded after the shorty. I thought they might pack it in, but they stuck with it. That shows me a lot about the team even after the losing streak.

Comment

Watched the Ferris state vs michigan game on TV at the same time as the Tech game. Also on tv here in Detroit is the Army/ AF game. Tech seemed to lack energy in the third and Pietila was one of those guys who provides it.
                            I have to say that watching the other team in college hockey, Jamie is really good at maximizing the talent he has, and his schemes are a lot more sophisticated than many other coaches.

Comment

The Pietala injury was not good. No injury ever is, but you knew something was wrong as soon as he went into the wall. He went feet first into the boards at a high rate of speed, and the momentum drove the rest of his body into the boards as well. That would produce an unnatural leg motion, which I did not directly see (his back was in the way), but he was instantly in a lot of pain. It could be anything from a ankle to a knee on his right leg, and he did not put any weight on it coming off the ice.

Tech fought tonight. Neither team played a great game, and like I said in the other thread, neither of these teams is good enough to win on talent alone. I though we had the winner in OT, but the SLU goalie made a glove save. I am impressed with how he responded to kicking the puck in his own net for the tying goal. We have seen goalies (Lawson, Frazee) melt on the road after making a bad play. This guy did not, and he definitely protected the tie for the Saints.

It will be interesting to see if either team carries momentum from tonight into tomorrow afternoon.
                              Philbert
                              ---------------
                              Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
                              GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

so maybe the monkey is off our backs? but still holding on to our ankle?
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X