X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Momo was pretty good for what DU had back at that time. Though, I still remember Frank Serratore lamenting the fact that, heading into his second season, Momotani was the top returning scorer (under 30 points) and Frank pretty much said not to expect too much offense or a great season because of that. I believe that season was 9-25-2...
    His was a name that I recall from those very dark days, which is why I used it. Would he be on the current roster?
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      His was a name that I recall from those very dark days, which is why I used it. Would he be on the current roster?
      Momotani improved every year he was at DU, and he was reasonably recruited out of BC. A first liner on some very bad early 90s DU teams, he's be a third liner of fourth liner on the current DU teams at best.

Comment

There is actually a DU fan who routinely wears a #10 Momotani jersey to the games. Obviously it's one of those unfortunate "McDonalds" jerseys...

Comment

Zucker with an assist and Shore with 2 in Team USA's 6-1 victory over Norway.
          GO DU !!!

Comment

In my section, we had a song/chant for him. I can't think of a way to type it though and make it understood. It was kind of like "MOMOTAAAANIIII', no that wasn't it, never mind....
            "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
            Tom Serratore

Comment

Tragic news this weekend with hockey and DU connections....

Elizabeth Turgeon, an 18 year old Freshman at Minnesota, daughter of former Avalanche player Pierre Turgeon, was killed in an auto accident in New Mexico.

Elizabeth Turgeon's twin sister, Alex, is a DU freshman and a member of the DU Woman's Volleyball Team.

Story on the accident:
              http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=346785

More on Alex:
              http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...&Q_SEASON=2010

Comment

Theresa Spisak in her WCHA blog misses several big points about the Pios first half success.

Denver (t-second)
                – A
                – Exceeding expectations ... but not by much
                – The Pioneers were expected to be in the top half, but they weren’t expected to be quite this good. However, the reason they are is one Sam Brittain. If this keeps up, DU may take the title of WCHA goalie factory away from Wisconsin.
                – The team has also done well since Jesse Martin’s unfortunate injury. Drew Shore is having a breakout year and the freshmen have been performing well.
                – Second Half Prognosis: As far as the WCHA is concerned, DU has a relative cakewalk to March. Unless the team — or Brittain — implodes, they’re not budging from where they are.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/wcha-blog/2010/...#ixzz196dIJbH0

The common buzz preseason was that the Pios would be around the middle of the WCHA, not the top. She also doesn't mention that the buzz also was that the Pios wouldn't produce offensively losing Rhett, Joe and Tyler. The reality is that the GPG numbers for this year's team are considerably better than last year's at mid-season. Sure Sam has been a big factor but leaving out the offensive production info is sloppy IMHO. She also fails to mention the incredibly tough schedule the Pios had to open the season (which they came out of +500 and gave themselves some serious PWR strength). Personally, I think the PIos have one of the most well-engineered schedules in all of CH this year. The bit about not budging in the standings is interesting. There is (like any other year) a big group of teams gunning for the top spots. The Badgers, CC and UNO all have serious chances of getting there ( don't know about the Gophs). She writes UNO off which I disagree with. They are a well-coached, disciplined, defensive, hockey team. This line gets me too. "As far as the WCHA is concerned, DU has a relative cakewalk to March" A relative cakewalk in the second half of a WCHA schedule? Sounds like she's saying we have the 28 or so possible points in the bag. Does her copy of DU's schedule have seven weekends versus Tech? :-)

Here's the goal tending stats for the conference so far. UMD's weakness for sure. Dell is the surprise as Spisak said. UND is going to be in it in April ( I hate to say that knowing that Dirty and his crowd are lurking).

Goals Against Average: Minutes GA GAA
                1 Aaron Dell North Dakota SO 680:49 22 1.94
                2 Scott Gudmandson Wisconsin SR 626:51 21 2.01
                3 Kent Patterson Minnesota JR 574:53 20 2.09
                4 Sam Brittain Denver FR 772:15 28 2.18
                5 Mathieu Dugas Bemidji State SO 303:00 11 2.18
                6 Kenny Reiter Minnesota Duluth JR 425:22 16 2.26
                7 Aaron Crandall Minnesota Duluth FR 436:27 17 2.34
                8 John Faulkner Nebraska-Omaha SO 842:29 33 2.35
                9 Rob Gunderson Alaska Anchorage FR 665:13 28 2.53
                10 Joe Howe Colorado College SO 742:46 33 2.67
                11 Dan Bakala Bemidji State JR 539:03 24 2.67
                12 Phil Cook Minnesota State SO 686:08 35 3.06
                13 Mike Lee St. Cloud State SO 505:16 26 3.09
                14 Kevin Genoe Michigan Tech SO 527:04 35 3.98
                Last edited by MagnessMan; 12-25-2010, 02:06 AM.
                Go Pioneers!

Comment

Merry Christmas to all of you out there in Pioland!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                    Theresa Spisak in her WCHA blog misses several big points about the Pios first half success.

Denver (t-second)
                    – A
                    – Exceeding expectations ... but not by much
                    – The Pioneers were expected to be in the top half, but they weren’t expected to be quite this good. However, the reason they are is one Sam Brittain. If this keeps up, DU may take the title of WCHA goalie factory away from Wisconsin.
                    – The team has also done well since Jesse Martin’s unfortunate injury. Drew Shore is having a breakout year and the freshmen have been performing well.
                    – Second Half Prognosis: As far as the WCHA is concerned, DU has a relative cakewalk to March. Unless the team — or Brittain — implodes, they’re not budging from where they are.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/wcha-blog/2010/...#ixzz196dIJbH0

The common buzz preseason was that the Pios would be around the middle of the WCHA, not the top. She also doesn't mention that the buzz also was that the Pios wouldn't produce offensively losing Rhett, Joe and Tyler. The reality is that the GPG numbers for this year's team are considerably better than last year's at mid-season. Sure Sam has been a big factor but leaving out the offensive production info is sloppy IMHO. She also fails to mention the incredibly tough schedule the Pios had to open the season (which they came out of +500 and gave themselves some serious PWR strength). Personally, I think the PIos have one of the most well-engineered schedules in all of CH this year. The bit about not budging in the standings is interesting. There is (like any other year) a big group of teams gunning for the top spots. The Badgers, CC and UNO all have serious chances of getting there ( don't know about the Gophs). She writes UNO off which I disagree with. They are a well-coached, disciplined, defensive, hockey team. This line gets me too. "As far as the WCHA is concerned, DU has a relative cakewalk to March" A relative cakewalk in the second half of a WCHA schedule? Sounds like she's saying we have the 28 or so possible points in the bag. Does her copy of DU's schedule have seven weekends versus Tech? :-)

Here's the goal tending stats for the conference so far. UMD's weakness for sure. Dell is the surprise as Spisak said. UND is going to be in it in April ( I hate to say that knowing that Dirty and his crowd are lurking).

Goals Against Average: Minutes GA GAA
                    1 Aaron Dell North Dakota SO 680:49 22 1.94
                    2 Scott Gudmandson Wisconsin SR 626:51 21 2.01
                    3 Kent Patterson Minnesota JR 574:53 20 2.09
                    4 Sam Brittain Denver FR 772:15 28 2.18
                    5 Mathieu Dugas Bemidji State SO 303:00 11 2.18
                    6 Kenny Reiter Minnesota Duluth JR 425:22 16 2.26
                    7 Aaron Crandall Minnesota Duluth FR 436:27 17 2.34
                    8 John Faulkner Nebraska-Omaha SO 842:29 33 2.35
                    9 Rob Gunderson Alaska Anchorage FR 665:13 28 2.53
                    10 Joe Howe Colorado College SO 742:46 33 2.67
                    11 Dan Bakala Bemidji State JR 539:03 24 2.67
                    12 Phil Cook Minnesota State SO 686:08 35 3.06
                    13 Mike Lee St. Cloud State SO 505:16 26 3.09
                    14 Kevin Genoe Michigan Tech SO 527:04 35 3.98
                    Great post Magman. I read this too and thought it was odd not saying anything about our offensive production. Not to mention our defense which is going to really come through for us down the stretch (that's me looking in my crystal ball). Remember we all thought it was going to be our defense that would give a chance this year. Finally, what happened to St Cloud?? Wasn't Lee a total stud last year? They'll probably get it together right about when we play them!!! Anyway, Happy Holidays everyone!
                    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                    Tom Serratore

Comment

Merry
                      Christmas

Go Team USA
                      Last edited by vizoroo; 12-25-2010, 11:19 AM.
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

Merry Christmas to all!!!
                        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

The best of Christmas joys and blessings to all.
                          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Excellent article on Jason Zucker in the Minneapolis Star-Trib:
                            http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...UoD3aPc:_27EQU

It looks like the Minnesota wild are in no hurry to sign him (at least now).
                            Also, he gets nice props from the Thrashers' GM, as well as the wild.

Comment

Zucker and Palmieri featured on the USA Hockey blog.
                              http://usahockey2.com/usah_blogs/world_juniors_blog/
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Zucker had a gorgeous unassisted goal that proved to be the game-tyer in the USA 3-2 OT win over Finland.

Zuck picked the shortside high on a unassisted turnover in the second period.

All three USA goals were scored by WCHA players - Faulk (UMD), Zucker (DU) and Bjugstad (Minnesota).

Comment

Working...
                                X