X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    I think it is a shame that so muich weight is now given to the OOC games. In the olden days, the OOC games were the chance for a lot of the non-regulars to get their chance to play and experience playing a full game taking a regular shift. It also gave the coaches a chance to rest some of the regulars. Now with the NCAA tourney all predicated on the PWR, potential tourney teams can't afford to slip up in the OOC games when facing non-ranked opponents.
    I agree. It's fun to play team we rarely play and fun to seen players get a chance. Now it's a nail biting affaire with all kinds of ramifications. I remember in the fall of 2005, DU came to Orono to play Maine. While we were getting our asses handed to us for the second game in a row, I mentioned to Andrew Thomas' father Larry that it was no big deal, it was just an exhibition game and we like to win in April, who cares about October etc.etc. Then he told me about PWR. I think it was relatively new then, but man did that come back to bite us in the ***, that plus the Denver Cup. So now we just have to keep rolling and beat these Lake chumps and the fly boys!! Go DU!!!
    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
    Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      I agree. With DU losing 2 to BC earlier this season, the OOC imperative takes on even more importance this year. DU's is in a winning groove right now, and I wouldn't want to mess with it, I don't think that I would start Murray right now. I'd play Brittain, and if DU can build a 3 goal lead on either of these teams, then I'd bring in Murray. Do goalies who only play two games a week really need rest? On the other hand, if Murray starts and plays well, it could be a big boost for him and the team. Right now, the jury is still out out whether Murray can play effectively at this level.
      According to Bacher in the game blog last Saturday night, he fully expects Murray to get back in there at some point. Chambers is hinting at it in today's Denver Post that Murray may get a start this weekend. I was thinking more of the skaters than the goalies when I was talking about resting players. It was not unsusual for Murray or Marshall to sit some of the top players in the OOC games that may have been nursing some minor dings whereas they would definitely be in the line-up against a WCHA opponent. It was always fun to watch the non-regular guys who busted their butts in practice everyday get rewarded with some ice time in those OOC games. Even with a line-up lacking some of the stars, DU rarely lost an OOC game back in the day. I would also say the talent gap was wider back then between the top teams and some of the lesser teams that got scheduled for OOC games. A lot of the DU OOC games back in the day were against Canadian colleges.
      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

I'll never forget that Princeton, Ferris Bueller State Denver Cup debacle. A NCAA tournament killing performance.
        DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
        sigpic
        WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Somehow, I managed to switch to GMT and turned off a lot of other things, just got back to normal
          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
            Somehow, I managed to switch to GMT and turned off a lot of other things, just got back to normal
            So you traveled back in time from evening to morning.
            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

So you traveled back in time from evening to morning.
              And I didn't need a DeLorean to do it
              GO DU !!!

Comment

Guess no more wooden sticks in the Stastny basement.
                Same goes for 24-year-old Paul Stastny, the last of the Luddites. The Colorado Avalanche centre switched from a Sherwood wooden to a Sherwood one-piece at the start of this season.

“Last season I went through a lot of wood sticks – I think what happened was they were being made at different factories so they were never quite the same although they said they were,” said Stastny. “It was still the same company, but in my mind they were completely different sticks than the ones I was using before. The average person may not notice, but when you’ve used the same stick since bantam and you get something a little different you can tell right away. So that also played a factor in me switching over. That, and technology is always getting better so it’s a case of evolving with the times.”
                http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2010/11/n...ks-in-nhl.html
                GO DU !!!

Comment

According to Bacher in the game blog last Saturday night, he fully expects Murray to get back in there at some point. Chambers is hinting at it in today's Denver Post that Murray may get a start this weekend. I was thinking more of the skaters than the goalies when I was talking about resting players. It was not unsusual for Murray or Marshall to sit some of the top players in the OOC games that may have been nursing some minor dings whereas they would definitely be in the line-up against a WCHA opponent. It was always fun to watch the non-regular guys who busted their butts in practice everyday get rewarded with some ice time in those OOC games. Even with a line-up lacking some of the stars, DU rarely lost an OOC game back in the day. I would also say the talent gap was wider back then between the top teams and some of the lesser teams that got scheduled for OOC games. A lot of the DU OOC games back in the day were against Canadian colleges.
                  Plus there were the games against the various Olympic teams: Soviets, Czechs, USA etc. Those were all hands on deck.
                  2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

NHL.com has already started their Mock Draft projections. And DU recruit Scott Mayfield makes both lists. Nick Shore's injury seems to have taken him off the radar of the early season projections, but there is a long way to go.

Morreale
                    http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=65971
                    Scott Mayfield at #29
                    The MVP of the World Junior 'A' Challenge has smarts and a great wrist shot

Kimmelman
                    http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=65974
                    Scott Mayfield at #21
                    One scout compared MVP of World Junior 'A' Challenge to Larry Robinson
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                      I agree. It's fun to play team we rarely play and fun to seen players get a chance. Now it's a nail biting affaire with all kinds of ramifications. I remember in the fall of 2005, DU came to Orono to play Maine. While we were getting our asses handed to us for the second game in a row, I mentioned to Andrew Thomas' father Larry that it was no big deal, it was just an exhibition game and we like to win in April, who cares about October etc.etc. Then he told me about PWR. I think it was relatively new then, but man did that come back to bite us in the ***, that plus the Denver Cup. So now we just have to keep rolling and beat these Lake chumps and the fly boys!! Go DU!!!
                      It would be nice for nearly all of the WCHA teams if DU could sweep this weekend.

Also, FWIW, the Pairwise came out in 1996-1997.
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

50 years ago this week, DU dropped football....

http://blogs.du.edu/today/news/thank...all-game#share

It's pretty safe to say that DU hockey was a huge beneficiary of that decision...

My guess is that if DU still had football now, we'd be a lot like Rice, getting kicked around in front of 12,000 people at the 75,000 seat Mile High Stadium....

Comment

Brittain and Makowski win WCHA weekly honors. Defense and Rookie, respectively.

Zucker nominated for Offense.
                          http://www.wcha.com/men/presarch/201011/nov23wpm.php
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                            50 years ago this week, DU dropped football....

http://blogs.du.edu/today/news/thank...all-game#share

It's pretty safe to say that DU hockey was a huge beneficiary of that decision...

My guess is that if DU still had football now, we'd be a lot like Rice, getting kicked around in front of 12,000 people at the 75,000 seat Mile High Stadium....
                            In the 80's, I worked with Hugh Campbell, who was then coach of the Oilers. And he told me he thought he caught the last TD pass in history at Hilltop. He was a wide out for a PAC 8 team (Oregon or Washington State?) and the game evidently was one of the last ones of that final season.

One victory against CU (I'm not clear if it's the one referenced in the Clarion article) came against their national championship team lead by future Supreme Court justice "Whizzer" White.

Certainly Rice is generally overmatched, but the Marching Owl Band (MOB) provides some of the cleverest commentary you've ever heard. One year when they were hosting Arkansas for homecoming, the stadium announcer opened by saying: "Ladies, gentlemen and livestock" Still funny.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 11-23-2010, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              In the 80's, I worked with Hugh Campbell, who was then coach of the Oilers. And he told me he thought he caught the last TD pass in history at Hilltop. He was a wide out for a PAC 8 team (Oregon or Washington State?) and the game evidently was one of the last ones of that final season.

One victory against CU (I'm not clear if it's the one referenced in the Clarion article) came against their national championship team lead by future Supreme Court justice "Whizzer" White.

Certainly Rice is generally overmatched, but the Marching Owl Band (MOB) provides some of the cleverest commentary you've ever heard. One year when they were hosting Arkansas for homecoming, the stadium announcer opened by saying: "Ladies, gentlemen and livestock" Still funny.
                              How about a Battle of the Bands between Rice and Stanford? Both bands seem to have a point of view and both universities have high academic standards.
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                                How about a Battle of the Bands between Rice and Stanford? Both bands seem to have a point of view and both universities have high academic standards.
                                The guy who headed the MOB during my time in Houston was a protege of the guy at Stanford. Always funny to watch a kid wheel out a base violin in a college marching band. One time they did a version of "Like a Virgin" which featured a blond girl, presumably a virginal Madonna, trying to throw herself into a volcano. But the volcano kept running away! Didn't want any part of her.

When ET was the big film, the Owls played Texas at homecoming, and their half-time was "UT, the Ultra Terrestrial." Finally, one year when A & M came to town the kid in the Sammy the Owl suit had a stuffed border collie (like Reveille) on the end of a leash and dragged the dog all over the stadium, up and down stairs, into the goal posts, into buckets of water. The A & M fans went mad. I mean, they lost their minds. Also still funny.

And these from Wikiedia:

In 1973 the Texas A&M Aggies took exception to a MOB performance which featured such typical MOB irreverence as Nazi-style goosestepping, turning the Aggie War Hymn into "Little Wooden Soldier March", and forming a fire hydrant while playing "Oh Where, Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone?" in reference to the Aggie mascot Reveille [6]. After the game, the Aggies formed an angry mob outside Rice's own stadium, trapping the Owl band inside for hours until police dispersed some of the crowd and allowed the band to exit, transported by food service trucks. In the years after this now-infamous show, attention has been focused on the shot at Reveille, and that this was an attempt to mock the mascot shortly after her death; in fact it was no more than "poorly-aimed scatalogical humor",[7] the mascot in question having been alive and present at the game.

In 2007, the MOB used their half-time performance to poke fun at the legal woes facing some members of the 2007 Texas Longhorn football team. The band, wearing dark sunglasses, opened with the theme from Dragnet. Three members dressed as Longhorn football players ran around the field being chased by other band members carrying cardboard police cars. The Rice announcer narrated: "In the two years since the MOB last visited Austin, your team's demeanor — and misdemeanor — has changed. Buy a program at today's game. It includes Mack Brown's wrist-slap Top 10 and a photo guide to the next episode of 'America's Most Wanted.'"[8][9]

Unless you've experienced it first hand, you can't appreciate how insufferable Aggie fans are.
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 11-24-2010, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X