X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    In other DU sports news, one of the posters on the Sun Belt board reports on conference men's basketball attendance, and DU hoop attendance is up about 50% at home this year over to just over 3,000 fans per game. It still has a long way to go, but 3,000 is much better than 1,500 a few years ago.
    http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?ti...922#pid6237922

Once DU gets to about 4,000 fans per game or so, the program breaks even financially.
    DU's attendance numbers in hoops are basically B.S. Who knows what the actual paid attendance is but it sure as heck is nowhere near those numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
      DU's attendance numbers in hoops are basically B.S. Who knows what the actual paid attendance is but it sure as heck is nowhere near those numbers.
      There is certainly some 'papering of the house' in there with giveaways to kids' groups to get the numbers up, but having been to 7-8 hoops games this year, there is a serious uptick from last year in terms of actual warm bodies in the house. And in about half the games I've been to, the game atmosphere approached legitimate D-I standards with 3,000-4,000 with a student turnout similar to hockey games, and with actual cheering fans. It's not Duke, certainly. But it's no longer embarrassing, either.

Comment

There is certainly some 'papering of the house' in there with giveaways to kids' groups to get the numbers up, but having been to 7-8 hoops games this year, there is a serious uptick from last year in terms of actual warm bodies in the house. And in about half the games I've been to, the game atmosphere approached legitimate D-I standards with 3,000-4,000 with a student turnout similar to hockey games, and with actual cheering fans. It's not Duke, certainly. But it's no longer embarrassing, either.
        Its great that attendance is up at hoops games.

Point is this. A school like DU with an "honor code" should not be fudging attendance numbers.

Comment

There may be some playing with the numbers, but I'm still glad to hear Swami's report that the basketball experience is improving. I have not contributed whatsoever to this experience, since I haven't been to a game. But I'll check and see when the next one is.

Wow....based on the report on DG's blog, Scott Mayfield sounds like a gem of a recruit. I can't wait to see him play next year.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            Its great that attendance is up at hoops games.

Point is this. A school like DU with an "honor code" should not be fudging attendance numbers.
            It's an interesting point. There is a lot of 'grey areas' when counting attendence. Do you count tickets actually sold? Tickets distributed? or Turnstile count (azzes in the seats)as attendance? Clearly DU doesn't use turnstile count, probably because many tickets are sold and not used by season ticket holders - lots of Denverites "eat" tickets they don't use, but they are paid for. So that leaves tickets sold or tickets distributed as the model. If it were just tickets sold, you always have a lower number since some tickets for every DU game are given away as "comps" or as premiums for contests, etc. The hard part comes when you have a promotion for school kids where if you get an good report card, you get a ticket to the game. Sometimes you see hundreds of kids and their families at the games, likely on these free ticket. You have to count those people who come somewhere. Where DU likely pushes it are when they give out 1000 tickets to these school groups and perhaps 250 show up. They count the 250 or do they count the whole 1,000 tickets that were distributed, but 750 were eaten?...

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
              There may be some playing with the numbers, but I'm still glad to hear Swami's report that the basketball experience is improving. I have not contributed whatsoever to this experience, since I haven't been to a game. But I'll check and see when the next one is.
              There is a game tonight against Louisiana Monroe and a Sunday afternoon game against South Alabama. I think that's likely the end of it this year.

In my experience, the weekend afternoon games draw much better than the weekday night games do, as more families come out on weekends.

Comment

There is a game tonight against Louisiana Monroe and a Sunday afternoon game against South Alabama. I think that's likely the end of it this year.

In my experience, the weekend afternoon games draw much better than the weekday night games do, as more families come out on weekends.
                Now I know this thread says "All Things," but BBall?, really?
                "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                  Yep, ALL means ALL, that's why this thread was originally created.
                  DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
                  sigpic
                  WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
                    Yep, ALL means ALL, that's why this thread was originally created.
                    I knew I shouldn't have posted that!! In the words of Gilda Radner, "Never mind!"
                    Tom Serratore

Comment

Not sure if you knew this already but in an email sent to BU season ticket holders about renewing our tickets for next year, it mentions that you guys will be coming east to play us at Agganis.
                      time to write new history

Comment

There are only two places on the Internet where a signicificant number of avid University of Denver sports fans regularly share thoughts with the world - this board and DG's blog comments. This thread on this board is the only place where you can share something without it being attached to a pre-existing story.

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                          Not sure if you knew this already but in an email sent to BU season ticket holders about renewing our tickets for next year, it mentions that you guys will be coming east to play us at Agganis.
                          Yes - Denver is playing at BU and at BC in October, I think. Should be big fun.

Comment

There are only two places on the Internet where a signicificant number of avid University of Denver sports fans regularly share thoughts with the world - this board and DG's blog comments. This thread on this board is the only place where you can share something without it being attached to a pre-existing story.
                            Sorry, sorry, sorry, it was a slip of the index finger aided by vodka /orangina!!
                            Tom Serratore

Comment

Yes - Denver is playing at BU and at BC in October, I think. Should be big fun.
                              Now that is some good news!! It's been a while since they traveled "back east" In fact I think the last time was the Maine disaster!!!
                              Tom Serratore

Comment

Now that is some good news!! It's been a while since they traveled "back east" In fact I think the last time was the Maine disaster!!!
                                The vodka is taking over. They played two at UVM to start this season.
                                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Working...
                                X