Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Holiday Hockey Tournament 11/26-27 (UAH, BGSU, UConn, RPI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wholin1
    replied
    Re: RPI Holiday Hockey Tournament 11/26-27 (UAH, BGSU, UConn, RPI)

I'm having such a fit of hockey withdrawal, that I might actually head over to one of these games. Since it doesn't involve "U", I'll wish RPI good luck. They will be a worthy successor to last year's victors. .

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
    Wish I could make this trip, but family obligations come first.
    Drag the family to Tr- wait, I forgot where I'm talking about.

Sounds like RPI has invited 3 teams where, although the numbers may leave something to be desired, we had better play a full 60 minutes, or we might be sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Freddie
    replied

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    Now all we need is a BGSU fan to give us a report on their team.
    Careful what you ask for

BG is YOUNG. 10 freshmen and 11 sophomores on the roster. First year for the head coach, and alot of learning on the fly. New systems, new priorities... definately a work in progress. 5-9-0 is nothing to get excited about, except when you consider that we only won 5 games in the entire season last year. As a LONG time BG fan, I can certainly say I like MOST of what I've seen so far this year...despite the 2-8 conference record.

If you just look at the stats, it might appear that BG is a very weak team. 7.2% Power Play Effeciency, 75.9% Penalty Kill, Scoring 2.07 per game while allowing 3.36. Ouch, those are some ugly team stats. Neither goalie with GAA below 3.0 or save pct above .900. Tough to win with numbers like those.

What the numbers don't show, however, is the heart of the team. They play an agressive, physical and emotional game. Look for most of our scoring chances to come on transition or off rebounds. BG lacks the strength and size to play a puck-possession type of offense, as evidenced by the low PP%.

Soph. Jordan Samuels-Thomas leads team in scoring 3-7-10. Great hands, and vision...but prone to lazy spells. Soph. Marc Rodriguez (4-4-8),
    Freshman Cam Wojtala (2-6-8) and Sr. Captain David Solway (4-3-7)are hard working grinders who play well both ways. Freshman Brett Mohler (5-1-6) is an absolute riot to watch...if you can see him...the kid in FAST!

BG's been using a 2 goalie system all year. Senior Nick Eno (3-4, 3.13, .889)has been working on Fridays, Sophomore Andrew Hammond (2-5, 3.43, .899) on Saturdays. I honestly believe both are better than their stats might indicate. Also (for whatever reason) it seems the TEAM has played better/more consistantly on Fridays than on Saturdays, especially over the last five weekends... during that time we're 3-2 (14-14 goals scored-goals allowed on Fridays, and 1-4 9-20 on Saturdays). It would be way to simple to blame this on the goalie... last weekend's series against Miami was a great example. We hung right in with a very talented team, before losing 4-3 on Friday...then looked like crap Saturday losing 3-0 while getting outshot...38-9...that right 38-9. Can't pin that loss on the goalie.

Wish I could make this trip, but family obligations come first.

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Years ago, we would give the backup time in blowouts. Now there just don't seem to be any blowouts in either direction. i expect to see Merriam start one of the games at UAH.
    I expect to see him either one of those games or the USA game. The way coach talks about him in interviews I figure that SA will feel he deserves some playing time for all the effort he has given in practice.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Jim View Post
    I'm with you on the issue of playing your back up goalie. In my mind, the time to do that is A. Practice; B. late in blowouts. If your down 6-1 and want to pull your guy for the final 10 minutes, I have no problem, but I sure wouldn't want to lose a game I was expecting to win because my #2 just doesn't do the job. I think Batus played every game for UCONN last year once he joined the team at Christmas.
    I think the only other time we'll see Merriam is against the National team. We didn't play him in our NC action in October, why would things suddenly be different now?

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by Jim View Post
    I'm with you on the issue of playing your back up goalie. In my mind, the time to do that is A. Practice; B. late in blowouts. If your down 6-1 and want to pull your guy for the final 10 minutes, I have no problem, but I sure wouldn't want to lose a game I was expecting to win because my #2 just doesn't do the job. I think Batus played every game for UCONN last year once he joined the team at Christmas.
    Years ago, we would give the backup time in blowouts. Now there just don't seem to be any blowouts in either direction. i expect to see Merriam start one of the games at UAH.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Simply stated, I don't. As I've stated all fall, I don't subscribe to the "we HAVE to play our backup" theory. As much as I hate Cornell/Shafer they know how to grow goalies and Scrivens started what, 99 of 100 games? I haven't heard Union itching to sit Kincaid to get Milan some icetime.

York has been outstanding in the early going, and is more than capable of playing 30+ games. With a young D now even younger - given JFK's injury -the last thing they need right now is to mess with who's playing behind them.

Backup keepers do their work and preparation in practice - that is their lot in life - to be ready if something happens to the #1. If this were the 82 game NHL, then of course you find a game here and there to rest your stud...but the top 10 NHL keepers play 65 games or better.

That's my opinion, who knows whether Seth happens to share it...we'll find out tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

If you think Vines is making the lineup, then I can't help you...
    Well we all know Coach Appert will REALLY be making the lineup, that's like calling the sky blue. I just don't know if the ECAC has any weird mandates on that kind of stuff if a coach is suspended.

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Slappaahs
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    You mean in two days? And wouldn't Coach Vines be technically making that call? (although we really know there will be influence)
    If you think Vines is making the lineup, then I can't help you...

Leave a comment:

• Douglas
    replied

A little more on UAH... First the cons: They don't take many shots as it seems they tend to try for the high quality shots. As previously stated with a dozen frosh there are still too many defensive lapses and so far this season virtually every team has made them pay for those errors. They have also been a very slow starting team this year offensively. Couple that with a few first period errors and you can see that they are in the hole a couple of goals early. That's been the scenario for most of this year. Now the pros: They have a good power play (most of their goals have come on it) and a decent penalty kill. Outside of the OSU series I've yet to see them be outworked and as mentioned, they play till the buzzer no matter the score. If their opponent doesn't take advantage of the few rookie lapses, and they are becoming less often as the season progresses, they can surprise. I don't think their record is truly representative of their current game. Good luck to all.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Simply stated, I don't. As I've stated all fall, I don't subscribe to the "we HAVE to play our backup" theory. As much as I hate Cornell/Shafer they know how to grow goalies and Scrivens started what, 99 of 100 games? I haven't heard Union itching to sit Kincaid to get Milan some icetime.

York has been outstanding in the early going, and is more than capable of playing 30+ games. With a young D now even younger - given JFK's injury -the last thing they need right now is to mess with who's playing behind them.

Backup keepers do their work and preparation in practice - that is their lot in life - to be ready if something happens to the #1. If this were the 82 game NHL, then of course you find a game here and there to rest your stud...but the top 10 NHL keepers play 65 games or better.

That's my opinion, who knows whether Seth happens to share it...we'll find out tomorrow.
    You mean in two days? And wouldn't Coach Vines be technically making that call? (although we really know there will be influence)

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Slappaahs
    replied

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
    Im gonna have to agree with you on this one Wicked...
    Its painful I know....

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Slappaahs
    replied

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    ...when do you suggest giving Merriam some time in net?

Leave a comment:

• redhead18
    replied

Because of your first statement, I disagree with your Merriam sentiment. Seth needs to win some games and he really needs to win the tourney. With both Appert & JFK out vs. UConn, this is no time to mess around with musical goalkeepers. York has the keys to the bus.
    Im gonna have to agree with you on this one Wicked. RPI needs to win this tournament, its been way too long since they last won it. So I have a feeling York gets both starts this weekend. I can see Merriam playing in the USA game and at least one of the games down in Alabama.

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied

Because of your first statement, I disagree with your Merriam sentiment. Seth needs to win some games and he really needs to win the tourney. With both Appert & JFK out vs. UConn, this is no time to mess around with musical goalkeepers. York has the keys to the bus.
    I would love to win this tournament finally after so many years of disappointment-but when do you suggest giving Merriam some time in net? He really needs at least one game before this season gets into the heavy ECAC schedule. Perhaps UAH?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X