Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Holiday Hockey Tournament 11/26-27 (UAH, BGSU, UConn, RPI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Holiday Hockey Tournament 11/26-27 (UAH, BGSU, UConn, RPI)

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    You mean in two days? And wouldn't Coach Vines be technically making that call? (although we really know there will be influence)
    If you think Vines is making the lineup, then I can't help you...
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
      If you think Vines is making the lineup, then I can't help you...
      Well we all know Coach Appert will REALLY be making the lineup, that's like calling the sky blue. I just don't know if the ECAC has any weird mandates on that kind of stuff if a coach is suspended.

Comment

Simply stated, I don't. As I've stated all fall, I don't subscribe to the "we HAVE to play our backup" theory. As much as I hate Cornell/Shafer they know how to grow goalies and Scrivens started what, 99 of 100 games? I haven't heard Union itching to sit Kincaid to get Milan some icetime.

York has been outstanding in the early going, and is more than capable of playing 30+ games. With a young D now even younger - given JFK's injury -the last thing they need right now is to mess with who's playing behind them.

Backup keepers do their work and preparation in practice - that is their lot in life - to be ready if something happens to the #1. If this were the 82 game NHL, then of course you find a game here and there to rest your stud...but the top 10 NHL keepers play 65 games or better.

That's my opinion, who knows whether Seth happens to share it...we'll find out tomorrow.
        I'm with you on the issue of playing your back up goalie. In my mind, the time to do that is A. Practice; B. late in blowouts. If your down 6-1 and want to pull your guy for the final 10 minutes, I have no problem, but I sure wouldn't want to lose a game I was expecting to win because my #2 just doesn't do the job. I think Batus played every game for UCONN last year once he joined the team at Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
          I'm with you on the issue of playing your back up goalie. In my mind, the time to do that is A. Practice; B. late in blowouts. If your down 6-1 and want to pull your guy for the final 10 minutes, I have no problem, but I sure wouldn't want to lose a game I was expecting to win because my #2 just doesn't do the job. I think Batus played every game for UCONN last year once he joined the team at Christmas.
          Years ago, we would give the backup time in blowouts. Now there just don't seem to be any blowouts in either direction. i expect to see Merriam start one of the games at UAH.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
            I think the only other time we'll see Merriam is against the National team. We didn't play him in our NC action in October, why would things suddenly be different now?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Years ago, we would give the backup time in blowouts. Now there just don't seem to be any blowouts in either direction. i expect to see Merriam start one of the games at UAH.
              I expect to see him either one of those games or the USA game. The way coach talks about him in interviews I figure that SA will feel he deserves some playing time for all the effort he has given in practice.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                Now all we need is a BGSU fan to give us a report on their team.
                Careful what you ask for

BG is YOUNG. 10 freshmen and 11 sophomores on the roster. First year for the head coach, and alot of learning on the fly. New systems, new priorities... definately a work in progress. 5-9-0 is nothing to get excited about, except when you consider that we only won 5 games in the entire season last year. As a LONG time BG fan, I can certainly say I like MOST of what I've seen so far this year...despite the 2-8 conference record.

If you just look at the stats, it might appear that BG is a very weak team. 7.2% Power Play Effeciency, 75.9% Penalty Kill, Scoring 2.07 per game while allowing 3.36. Ouch, those are some ugly team stats. Neither goalie with GAA below 3.0 or save pct above .900. Tough to win with numbers like those.

What the numbers don't show, however, is the heart of the team. They play an agressive, physical and emotional game. Look for most of our scoring chances to come on transition or off rebounds. BG lacks the strength and size to play a puck-possession type of offense, as evidenced by the low PP%.

Soph. Jordan Samuels-Thomas leads team in scoring 3-7-10. Great hands, and vision...but prone to lazy spells. Soph. Marc Rodriguez (4-4-8),
                Freshman Cam Wojtala (2-6-8) and Sr. Captain David Solway (4-3-7)are hard working grinders who play well both ways. Freshman Brett Mohler (5-1-6) is an absolute riot to watch...if you can see him...the kid in FAST!

BG's been using a 2 goalie system all year. Senior Nick Eno (3-4, 3.13, .889)has been working on Fridays, Sophomore Andrew Hammond (2-5, 3.43, .899) on Saturdays. I honestly believe both are better than their stats might indicate. Also (for whatever reason) it seems the TEAM has played better/more consistantly on Fridays than on Saturdays, especially over the last five weekends... during that time we're 3-2 (14-14 goals scored-goals allowed on Fridays, and 1-4 9-20 on Saturdays). It would be way to simple to blame this on the goalie... last weekend's series against Miami was a great example. We hung right in with a very talented team, before losing 4-3 on Friday...then looked like crap Saturday losing 3-0 while getting outshot...38-9...that right 38-9. Can't pin that loss on the goalie.

Wish I could make this trip, but family obligations come first.
                Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                  Wish I could make this trip, but family obligations come first.
                  Drag the family to Tr- wait, I forgot where I'm talking about.

Sounds like RPI has invited 3 teams where, although the numbers may leave something to be desired, we had better play a full 60 minutes, or we might be sorry.

Comment

I'm having such a fit of hockey withdrawal, that I might actually head over to one of these games. Since it doesn't involve "U", I'll wish RPI good luck. They will be a worthy successor to last year's victors. .

Comment

Tourney article by Ed Weaver http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Seth wants to win the Christmas tourney I mean Holiday tourney. Merriman won't start.
                        I thought he moved the tournament to this weekend because it was the only way RPI could get "quality teams"
                        Too many other Holiday Tourneys during Christmas week so it was difficult to get top notch teams to come to Troy.

Now he brings in three tomato cans. Please

Comment

Because of your first statement, I disagree with your Merriam sentiment. Seth needs to win some games and he really needs to win the tourney. With both Appert & JFK out vs. UConn, this is no time to mess around with musical goalkeepers. York has the keys to the bus.
                          I hear you. I didn't say I expected Merriam to start I said I expect to see him.

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
                            Seth wants to win the Christmas tourney I mean Holiday tourney. Merriman won't start.
                            I thought he moved the tournament to this weekend because it was the only way RPI could get "quality teams"
                            Too many other Holiday Tourneys during Christmas week so it was difficult to get top notch teams to come to Troy.

Now he brings in three tomato cans. Please
                            He didnt move the tournament to this week. It was moved before he got here. This isnt the old days where $$ had nothing really to do with where a team played, thats why we dont see the powerhouse teams coming in year after year. Im sure UAH being invited was a sign of a program helping out a struggling program looking to fill a schedule. I wouldnt call UConn and BG pushovers, BG does still play in the CCHA correct...you know that league with Miami (OH), Michigian, Michigan State, and Notre Dame, so they will be a tough team if we see them saturday night. Saying this as nice as I can cause it Thanksgiving, If you do not like the teams coming, stay home and watch high school football or whatever they show the night after thanksgiving.
                            Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                              I hear you. I didn't say I expected Merriam to start I said I expect to see him.
                              OK got it, good point. Indeed, that would be the best possible scenario - RPI with a large lead and Merriam getting ice time.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                                He didnt move the tournament to this week. It was moved before he got here. This isnt the old days where $$ had nothing really to do with where a team played, thats why we dont see the powerhouse teams coming in year after year. Im sure UAH being invited was a sign of a program helping out a struggling program looking to fill a schedule. I wouldnt call UConn and BG pushovers, BG does still play in the CCHA correct...you know that league with Miami (OH), Michigian, Michigan State, and Notre Dame, so they will be a tough team if we see them saturday night. Saying this as nice as I can cause it Thanksgiving, If you do not like the teams coming, stay home and watch high school football or whatever they show the night after thanksgiving.
                                I really don't care who moved it. The purpose was to get quality teams. OK UAH I understand. UConn they are a real power they lost 2 to RIT, lost to national power Bentley and needed 2 goals in the third to beat AIC.

BG, I don't care what league they are in they are still 5 & 9 scoring about 2 goals a game. They lost to Clarkson 4 zip and Clarkson has lost to Dartmouth and Cornell by a combine 11 goals. Yeah BG must be a real power.

I don't blame Seth, but face it he wants to get the engineers a Holiday Tourney.

There ain't no "Mel" Wakabayashi in this tournament.

BTW Go Flying Horses!!

Comment

Working...
                                X