This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

I have now spammed everyone who visits the boards! But some people don't so please pass the info on to others. Do not assume that anyone already has it; you'd be amazed at how few people do.

Thanks!

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
    HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
    HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by BUPhD View Post
      Who the hell is voting us #1 still? And is that what breaks the tie with Yale for some arcane reason in the USCHO rankings?
      The poll actually gives a 2 to both BU and Yale, with Nebraska-Ohama at 4. I assume it's just alphabetical. If Yale were tied with Yeshiva, Yale probably would be listed first.

Comment

Bruins acquired Colby Cohen today for Matt Hunwick. He'll report to Providence.
        http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=544835
        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Gotta assume a trade for Shattenkirk is in the works now.
          "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
            and yip, and VDG, and kieran, and their head coach...

we could call them BU West End?
            time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
              Sorry if I am missing the tone, but I assume you are joking. I can't imagine that the Avs would trade a first rounder who is clearly showing he is ready for the NHL.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                Sorry if I am missing the tone, but I assume you are joking. I can't imagine that the Avs would trade a first rounder who is clearly showing he is ready for the NHL.
                Yeah, I think it's a joke. Just sad that the kids to pros pair of Shatty+Colby is broken up so late.
                Boston University 2009 Champs
                Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

No disservice to Colby Cohen intended, but after reading commentary about the Bruins trade, it seems that he was pretty incidental to the transaction. It's as if the Avs management said something like "We'll give you that guy in Cleveland, Cory, Carl, whatever his name is" and the Bruins responded "Yeah, whatever you say".
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                    No disservice to Colby Cohen intended, but after reading commentary about the Bruins trade, it seems that he was pretty incidental to the transaction. It's as if the Avs management said something like "We'll give you that guy in Cleveland, Cory, Carl, whatever his name is" and the Bruins responded "Yeah, whatever you say".
                    I'm sure I'm in the minority, but if I could keep one of last year's juniors who jumped, it would be Cohen. I wouldn't be unhappy if I got stuck with Shattenkirk (who's lighting it up for the Avs) or Bonino, for that matter, but #25 would be a huge help on the power play (currently at 0.119). Some of those ties would have been wins.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

Obviously the Bruins' primary reason for trading Hunwick was to clear some cap space. Clearly they didn't just call up the Avs and say, "Who do you want for that Colby Cohen kid?" But that said, Colby is far from a throwaway here. The Avs took him in the second round and he's already played 3 NHL games. They weren't just going to give him away. And Chiarelli said he's been on the B's "interest list for a while." Yeah, they wanted the cap space, but they weren't just going to take a bag of pucks to go along with it. They wouldn't have made the trade if they didn't think Colby had some upside.
                      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                        Obviously the Bruins' primary reason for trading Hunwick was to clear some cap space. Clearly they didn't just call up the Avs and say, "Who do you want for that Colby Cohen kid?" But that said, Colby is far from a throwaway here. The Avs took him in the second round and he's already played 3 NHL games. They weren't just going to give him away. And Chiarelli said he's been on the B's "interest list for a while." Yeah, they wanted the cap space, but they weren't just going to take a bag of pucks to go along with it. They wouldn't have made the trade if they didn't think Colby had some upside.
                        Agreed. I think the Avs realized they had a lot of young depth on defense and could afford to lose one guy to add a little more experience, but Colby showed early on that while he's not defensively ready for the NHL, his offensive game does translate. In fact I was somewhat surprised how smoothly he seemed to transition to the pros from that aspect. The Bruins have been able to see a lot of his development, and probably know as well as we do what his strengths/weaknesses are, but know how to handle it.
                        Boston University 2009 Champs
                        Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Anyone here agree/disagree with my assessment of the squad so far this year. I'm happy with the record but nervous about the defense and powerplay:

Here's my breakdown of BU and why I think they're vulnerable to a team with so many skilled forwards:

BU has some very skilled forwards but they often get caught in deep (3 man cycle) which leads to a lot of odd man rushes. Not something you want to do with Kredier and Atkinson on the opposition.

What's more concerning is that BU's defense has a tendency to give up the blue line almost immediately allowing the other team's forwards to "walk-in" the zone which leads to lots of shots. I think BU gives up, on average, 44 shots per game. Many of these are lower percentage shots as it seems BU is content to play the angles. That approach might be OK against UML and Providence, but not BC. BC forwards will make the extra pass and take the higher percentage shot. This teams sags even more on the PK. It's almost shocking how quickly they give up entry into their zone.

BU's defense also seems to take a lot of unecessary risks IMO. It looks like the team is eager to run a transition game and skate the puck out to center ice every time. They never seem content to bank the puck out off the boards when in trouble. Rather they often make the extra pass or skate the puck out up the middle of the crease without support. Since they are young, this leads to a lot of turnovers. Fortunately, Millan and Rollheiser have been able to bail them out, but again...a much riskier proposition against a team as skilled as BC.

BU's powerplay is awful. Once they get set-up in the zone. Nobody seems to move an inch. What ensues is a pass-a-thon with poor angle shots.

Finally, BU has some significant injuries. They need Connolly and Escobedo back. MacGregor will be OK but I don't think he's ready yet. (Anyone know the status of these guys and Clendening for that matter?)

That being said...BU is 7-1-5 and has some quality wins, is getting great goaltending, and has three very solid front lines. If BU doesn't fall too far behind early, Millan/Rollheiser continue to show up, and the D is a bit more conservative anything could happen.

The Powerplay needs real help though. TRY TO MOVE AROUND A LITTLE GUYS!!!!
                          Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

anybody going to bc saturday night? me and all my buddies got stuck in section OO up top, same as last year

Comment

Originally posted by Redd10 View Post
                              anybody going to bc saturday night? me and all my buddies got stuck in section OO up top, same as last year
                              Yes, don't know where the tickets are, haven't been able to stop by will call yet.
                              time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by Redd10 View Post
                                HAA gave out away student tickets in CC Rows 25 and up. Come on over.

Comment

Working...
                                X