Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

    Originally posted by Federal League View Post
    BTW, I just heard from someone pretty reliable that Clendening is an absolute lock.
    Obligatory:
    Nothing involving Clendening and decisions is ever a lock.
    Boston University 2009 Champs
    Notre Dame 2012-?

    Comment


    • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

      How I felt about the BU/NU game as it progressed.

      At first I was like:


      But then I:

      Comment


      • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

        Thankfully Coyle decided to make a play no his own rather than watch his defensemen at the blue line fumble the puck around, or else there's no chance we get a W out of that. Lots of puck watching and puck chasing, crappy neutral zone play, bleh.
        time to write new history

        Comment


        • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

          That was a very, very fortunate outcome.

          8-3-5 is better than 3-5-8.

          Hopefully this squad will continue to grow.
          Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

          Comment


          • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

            It is astounding how many shots BU allows from inside the circles. That has to stop.

            Who sharpened their skates? Rhett?

            The BU defense sagged more than a 90 year-old Dolly Parton. STEP UP AND HIT SOMEONE!

            BU Hockey: NU Sucked More
            It Happened!!!!

            Comment


            • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

              What irked me the most was a few times when the NU puckhandler would just walk into the zone untouched, and then walk into the slot untouched and unchallenged. No one stepping up to put a body on him, or get a stick in his way, or force him wide, nothing. It's basic sports defense, stop the guy with the puck/ball!
              time to write new history

              Comment


              • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

                Definitely think something is falling apart with this defensive scheme. I was very impressed with how well BU had eliminated all the cross-slot passes just above the crease from last year to this year over the first 13 games of this season. Last year, opponents would camp out around the crease and be ignored like the plague. That changed early in the year. I was honestly shocked at how thorough BU's young defense was. I chalked it up mostly to the new defensive system Parker had implemented, and a strong commitment to that system by the players.

                That's clearly changed in the past four games. I didn't see the Brown game, but from what I've heard, the defense didn't have a great game. BC absolutely picked BU apart beneath the dots, but, as Chiasson said tonight –– if there's a better team in college hockey than BC, I'd love to see them.

                But allowing so many scoring chances from grade-A areas to Northeastern is a really poor sign. NU has not done a good job of that this year –– at least that's what I heard from some of the Northeastern radio guys. The BU defense was incredibly unthorough in following its assignments tonight, and it showed. That was about as poorly as they could've played, and if not for a stellar night from Millan, BU would've (should've) lost that game.

                Maybe teams have found a hole in the BU defensive system? Maybe the competition is just stronger of late than earlier in the year? Maybe, as the season goes on, teams are just finding their collective offensive rhythms? I don't know. Would love to hear others thoughts, though.
                Boston Hockey Blog

                Comment


                • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

                  Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
                  Definitely think something is falling apart with this defensive scheme. I was very impressed with how well BU had eliminated all the cross-slot passes just above the crease from last year to this year over the first 13 games of this season. Last year, opponents would camp out around the crease and be ignored like the plague. That changed early in the year. I was honestly shocked at how thorough BU's young defense was. I chalked it up mostly to the new defensive system Parker had implemented, and a strong commitment to that system by the players.

                  That's clearly changed in the past four games. I didn't see the Brown game, but from what I've heard, the defense didn't have a great game. BC absolutely picked BU apart beneath the dots, but, as Chiasson said tonight –– if there's a better team in college hockey than BC, I'd love to see them.

                  But allowing so many scoring chances from grade-A areas to Northeastern is a really poor sign. NU has not done a good job of that this year –– at least that's what I heard from some of the Northeastern radio guys. The BU defense was incredibly unthorough in following its assignments tonight, and it showed. That was about as poorly as they could've played, and if not for a stellar night from Millan, BU would've (should've) lost that game.

                  Maybe teams have found a hole in the BU defensive system? Maybe the competition is just stronger of late than earlier in the year? Maybe, as the season goes on, teams are just finding their collective offensive rhythms? I don't know. Would love to hear others thoughts, though.
                  Perhaps it's that by playing a simplistic system such as the one that was implemented this year, teams know that with fast and tape to tape passes, the defense can be defeated reasonably easily? Also, by having the defense collapse rather early, there's an element of clustering which can potentially make it difficult to clear the puck as effectively since there's so much more chaos going on.
                  Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
                  Boston University '06/'08
                  Yale University '13

                  Comment


                  • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

                    PLEASE tell me I did NOT hear the BU fans in section 108 actually chanting "Scoreboard" to the Northeastern fans when we were up 4-2. Seriously. Tell me you were chanting something else. Because if that is what you were chanting, I am having all your Sports Passes revoked. Never. EVER. chant "Scoreboard" when you up by less than 5 or 6 goals with almost half a game to play. Jeez.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

                      Northeastern ended up with 41 shots on net. I don't know about anyone else, but it seemed they had at least ten more shots, from a decent range that went high and wide. Does anyone know how many shots NU had, not just shots on goal?

                      Comment


                      • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

                        The shots count statistic is staggeringly worrisome for this years team.

                        I don't have the time to do the number diving right now but it's been my impression that generally we're outshout around a 2:1 ratio even in games we've been winning. Grade-A shots seem to be even in games we've won and somewhat lower, but not as lopsided as overall shots in games we've lost.

                        If someone with the patience and interest in numbers wants to do the actual statistical work, I'd be very interested in seeing it!

                        This puts a lot of pressure on the goalies of course and even the slightest "off night" or "early rattle" night could spell a quick disaster.

                        I'm aware its a different defensive scheme this year and it seemed to work well early on...whether that success was a product of weaker opponents or lack of time to scout out BU's game plan, I don't know.

                        Parker is probably going to have to get this team to adjust tactics on defense from time to time or we're going to see a lot more shellackings.

                        That said, it's not surprising given the youth of this team. I still feel they've overachieved thus far. It'll be interesting to see how the usual "adjust and solidify" tactics that Parker pulls out late season go with this team.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

                          Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          PLEASE tell me I did NOT hear the BU fans in section 108 actually chanting "Scoreboard" to the Northeastern fans when we were up 4-2. Seriously. Tell me you were chanting something else. Because if that is what you were chanting, I am having all your Sports Passes revoked. Never. EVER. chant "Scoreboard" when you up by less than 5 or 6 goals with almost half a game to play. Jeez.
                          Yes, yes you did. And the 10 Northeastern fans appropriately laughed at them. Scoreboard chants that are not in the final minute of the third period when leading by more than 3 goals (the Miami rule) are the cardinal sin and will inevitably lead to that lead on the scoreboard being erased, as was the case last night. For shame.
                          time to write new history

                          Comment


                          • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

                            So is Colby not playing at all down in Providence? What's going on?

                            Comment


                            • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

                              Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                              Northeastern ended up with 41 shots on net. I don't know about anyone else, but it seemed they had at least ten more shots, from a decent range that went high and wide. Does anyone know how many shots NU had, not just shots on goal?
                              Shots attempted were 88-47 NU. I'd say the average (not just for or against BU, but just in general) is about 60-65.

                              Originally posted by Gryba Dekes View Post
                              So is Colby not playing at all down in Providence? What's going on?
                              He has a wrist injury right now. Had it before the trade was made. Nothing serious, though.
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

                              Comment


                              • Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

                                Originally posted by Stories View Post
                                Perhaps it's that by playing a simplistic system such as the one that was implemented this year, teams know that with fast and tape to tape passes, the defense can be defeated reasonably easily? Also, by having the defense collapse rather early, there's an element of clustering which can potentially make it difficult to clear the puck as effectively since there's so much more chaos going on.
                                Equally, or maybe even more worrisome to me was what happened when a BU player did get the puck in the defensive zone. Blind passes through the middle, no attempts whatsoever at starting an actual breakout, turnovers galore. I don't know what was going on down there.
                                Go BU!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X