Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turk181
    replied
    Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
    While the refs were indeed "fair", I nevertheless thought they were pretty awful. Penalty calls were very soft (both ways -- honestly we probably benefited from this) and the linesmen were awful. They missed 5 or 6 obvious offsides calls (equally split between RPI and UConn) and were powertripping on every single faceoff (again, this benefited us as they were picking on UConn).
    ...funny how 2 people can watch the same game & come away with opposite conclusions. On the way home a buddy & I were talking about the officials and thought it was one of the better(comparative of course) officiated games. Of course calls were missed but they always will be. I was told Hicks is doing the 1st game this afternoon...phewwwww. He did last nights Har. vs Dart. game...19 penalties, geesh!!

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied
    Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by IMO View Post
    Thanks for the info Doc. Could you please tell us how many grades there are and what the symptoms would be? I am assuming if he lost consiousness that would be the worst-but what does it mean if there are no symtoms following that? Do they treat it the same because the intial symptom was loss of consciousness?
    The scoring of concussions is still a little bit of flux. The American Academy of Neurolgy currently uses 3 grades depending on how long someone has lost consiousness. The older (and I think more comprehensive scale had 4 grades which allowed for a better separation of symptoms. Currently Grade 3 is virtually the same as the old grade 4. Grade 1 shows no loss of consciousness and post trauma amnesia less than 15 minutes. Grade 2 shows no loss of consciousness and amnesia lasting over 15 minutes. Grade 3 shows loss of consciousness of type (a) lasting seconds and type (b) lasting minutes. I find these grades for too broad and refinement necessary. The older classifications were based on how long amnesia persisted. I had played some hockey when younger and sufferred a very severe concussion-today would have been classed in the 3 level-years ago in the 4 level. It is 48 years later and I still have some symptomatology. Brain injury is always serious-even a class 1 in the current list. Mike Bergin was a prime example of that last year. Each concussive episode has to be evaluated in each individual uniquely. No two people respond the same. Worst of all the effects are more than cummulative-they seem to be almost exponentially cummulative. Think of all the NHL players who have had their careers severely shortened by them.

Leave a comment:

• IMO
    replied

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    I hope he had a really good neurologic evaluation. Unfortunately not all doctors are created equal-and for everyone that graduated at the top of his medical school class-someone had to graduate at the bottom. Hope he got seen by a top notch fellow. At the least an MRI/CAT scan of the brain, perhaps an ultrasound. Cognitive tests for sure. As the hours go by and more reports appear here on USCHO it sounds more like a mild concussion or a cervical injury from the fall. In either case, being sent home is a wonderful sign. I hope to see a replay on RPI-TV to get a better idea of what happened. The last bad RPI injury I saw in person was Malchuk's knee at Princeton and that was just plain horrible to witness. Knees are not meant to bend the direction he was in.

Update-Just watched the injury several times on RPITV-no question it is a smack to the right side of the head. Best guess is concussive symptoms. Now the question becomes whether CJ lost consiousness and for how long. Hopefully this is a grade 1 kind of injury with no lingering sequellae.
    Thanks for the info Doc. Could you please tell us how many grades there are and what the symptoms would be? I am assuming if he lost consiousness that would be the worst-but what does it mean if there are no symtoms following that? Do they treat it the same because the intial symptom was loss of consciousness?

Leave a comment:

• knsmith
    replied

Also, I really liked Rogic out there even though he got hardly any PT. Really wasn't fan of Vines chopping off the bench the way he did in the third period (even though in the end it certainly worked out).

Leave a comment:

• knsmith
    replied

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
    The GOOD: Polacek and GOulet. Overcoming a 2 goal defecit in the 3rd period. The refs were very fair i thought. The team took a ton of shots. Lee went home with his family, all tests were negative... and i talked mr and mrs lee on the cell phone to albany medical center so they didnt get lost
    The bad: Koudys just is very young and raw. Merriam let up some awful goals (yes he was rusty but he is what he is a backup goalie)
    the ugly: giving up that goal when it was 5-4 with 4 mins left. In our 3 losses all 3 disallowed goals screwed us.

LETS GET THE WIN TONight long time coming for a rpi invitation championship.... bailen will play big and york i feel .
    While the refs were indeed "fair", I nevertheless thought they were pretty awful. Penalty calls were very soft (both ways -- honestly we probably benefited from this) and the linesmen were awful. They missed 5 or 6 obvious offsides calls (equally split between RPI and UConn) and were powertripping on every single faceoff (again, this benefited us as they were picking on UConn).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X