Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
    Coaches don't control tempo? Brown and Cornell players come up w/ their style all on their own?
    So you are an advocate of the trap? SA would never play the trap.
    Last edited by AspyDad; 12-06-2010, 07:42 PM.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

It'd be a shame to jettison the tourney altogether.
      Concur
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
        I thought I read on the groundbreaking WaP twitter page that Joel is going to be back for BU game.
        He is the kind of tough gritty kid that will play as soon as his head clears. I just like to err on the side of caution and all my old medical school teaching says avoid contact for 3 weeks after a suspected concussion. I love him in the line up-he is a tough fellow to play against and just does not give up out there. I saw him come off the ice a couple years ago at Princeton with what looked to me as a classic MCL and ACL combination tear after his leg was bent into a position that human legs are not supposed to be in. I thought his hockey days were behind him and he has come back all the way. I just hope he decides to take advantage of his Red Shirt year and stays on for another season. I would suspect he would add some great leadership for the new kids coming in next year.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

So you are an advocate of the trap? SA would never play the trap.
          I didn't come close to advocating the trap....(???)
          Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
            I love it. The guy does more for coverage of college hockey and specifically the ECAC and even more specifically Union College, in this area, yet the hockey "experts" from the CD can do nothing but complain because he doesn't write about ior share the same opinions as some of you. Maybe you should not buy The Gazette or read his blog and instead read the 20 articles a week the local media prints about Siena basketball. We are lucky we have a writer in this area that covers college hockey like Ken does. And for whoever complained that Ken did not cover the RPI/Brown game, do you really think that was his decision? Call or email The Gazette if you think they should have spent the money to cover it. Also as long as I am venting, the Holiday Tournament is in danger and that is not speculation, that is fact. It is losing money, can't find a corporate sponsor and cannot get quality teams to commit. What have you heard about next years opponenets? Nothing yet. Not saying it is a done deal but won't be suprised if its on the way out or moved back to December in 2012-13. By the way, lets have more talk on how exciting this team is going to be when they are healthy, with a pile of home ECAC games after the new year!
            I don't need to listen to a lecture about Schott, I've been a fan and supporter for a long time. If it weren't for the fact that Ken calls his column/blog the ECAC Week in Review, I'd have no gripe. But for accuracy sake, he might consider changing the name to the Union Week in Review.

I take no sympathy in the struggling tourney and lack of a tourney title sponsor. We've all sufferred through god awful teams and fields for the better part of twenty years. As a season ticket customer, I've swallowed hard every year. RPI has given lip service to the whole idea of marketing the program for about the last oh I dunno, 20 YEARS or so...Things are now changing under Appert, but you can't raise the Titanic overnight.

Now that the A.D. has someone paying attention to promotion & marketing (what a concept) things might improve. Whether it will be in time to save the tourney is anyone's guess. As for opponents, as has been pointed out by several posters previously, we are not alone in the scheduling plight. Personally, I enjoyed seeing Bowling Green and UConn...I am apparently in the minority. Folks waiting around for Michigan or North Dakota to fall out of the sky and magically appear are in for a long wait.

One extremely basic and simple idea I've offered is to hand out a dozen tourney tickets to every g.d. one of the youth hockey teams within a 50 mile radius -- thereby helping to fill the rink (which looks good in photos when you're pitching sponsors). Yes,you sacrifice the ticket $, but you can recoup some/all of it in popcorn and pizza $$ sales AND you just might start growing a new generation of fans...heaven forbid.
            Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 12-06-2010, 09:55 PM.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Methinks that early October is a great idea. It mightbe easier to attract a sponsor for the traditional Christmas timing though. It'd be a shame to jettison the tourney altogether.
              Might not be a bad idea - save for the fact that it would put it in direct competition with the Lake Placid tourney, unless that is moved, as has been speculated.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I thought I read on the groundbreaking WaP twitter page that Joel is going to be back for BU game.
                I think I'll wait to hear those groundbreaking words come out of Appert's mouth...

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  SS-it may depend on how healthy we are. At full force, we can probably skate with just about anyone. Injured-all bets are off. SA alone knows the hand he is bringing into saturday' game. He will have to play with the cards he has. Is York 100%, can Malchuk or OGrady come back to play. We just do not have enough information to venture an educated guess. I think we have to get BU to play our game-whatever that is-rather than try to adapt to theirs. This is as big a test as Yale was-and i think barring a 5 on 3 in the third period against us-we showed we can play with the new number 1 team in the country. Just my 2¢
                  You go to war with the army you have, just as we did last weekend. We came out flying Saturday, and I expect we'll do so again, whatever shape the lineup takes. That is the system that Seth has built the team around.

Comment

As great as that sounds and as much as we all want him back-Joel takes more hits and gives more hits than anyone on this team. I hope they are conservative with bringing him back into the line up-His health is the only priority right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                      I think I'll wait to hear those groundbreaking words come out of Appert's mouth...
                      You know, as a member of the media we do chat with Mr. Appert from time to time. As a matter of fact, stay tuned in the near future for just such an occurrence...

------

This week's podcast is taking place tomorrow night at 8pm, with some very special guests. USCHO's own Brian Sullivan will join us to talk about the ECAC's fares in the first half of the season, the novelty of having a #1 team in the conference, and the clash in Troy on Saturday between his alma mater and the Engineers. We're also excited to have senior assistant captain Bryan Brutlag on the show tomorrow. We'll ask him his impressions on the Terriers and find out how the team feels about last weekend's results, among other things.

Finally, a bit of a departure from the norm with our unprecedented third guest of the night. Local media observer and Siena basketball partisan Ed Lass will join us to talk about the buzz surrounding the two nationally-ranked hockey teams in the Capital District, Siena's slow start, and how they are all contributing to the local sports mood in general.

We'll have the teaser up at WaP in the morning. Here's the link to the show, which will go live at 8pm tomorrow night.
                      Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by IMO View Post
                        As great as that sounds and as much as we all want him back-Joel takes more hits and gives more hits than anyone on this team. I hope they are conservative with bringing him back into the line up-His health is the only priority right now.
                        Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          You go to war with the army you have, just as we did last weekend. We came out flying Saturday, and I expect we'll do so again, whatever shape the lineup takes. That is the system that Seth has built the team around.
                          All true-with concussions to Lee, OGrady, and Malchuk though-we are missing at the very least a big portion of the top 2 lines+. Unless we get a lot of offense from other places(like we did at Brown) we will have to hope that this one is a tight checking, low scoring affair. Our defense (with the remarkable Bailen) has provided the biggest offensive boost but I am sure coach Parker has that penciled in as a top priority to stop. It is kind of nice for a change that the opposition may have to think about ways to stop us (instead of vice versa)

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            All true-with concussions to Lee, OGrady, and Malchuk though-we are missing at the very least a big portion of the top 2 lines+. Unless we get a lot of offense from other places(like we did at Brown) we will have to hope that this one is a tight checking, low scoring affair. Our defense (with the remarkable Bailen) has provided the biggest offensive boost but I am sure coach Parker has that penciled in as a top priority to stop. It is kind of nice for a change that the opposition may have to think about ways to stop us (instead of vice versa)
                            Last year most of our scoring came from the defense (Brutlag hadn't moved up yet, but it was off the faceoff with Beauregard). Brutlag, Jensen, and Burgdörfer had 3 of the 5 goals.

Comment

:yawn:

Does RPI come out flying against BU or do they try to match BU's tempo w/ a slow-down defense? How does Seth play it?
                              My prediction is he will stick with smash mouth...our team seems to feed off the the physical play. When they try to match speed it doesn't ignite them as well...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Last year most of our scoring came from the defense (Brutlag hadn't moved up yet, but it was off the faceoff with Beauregard). Brutlag, Jensen, and Burgdörfer had 3 of the 5 goals.
                                And I'm sure coach Parker has committed that to memory. I would imagine that our defense may be checked more closely than our forwards this week. i do not think they will ignore the Polacek/Helfrich duo either. This is the time for others to participate. 15 games into this season and this team is becoming better all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X