Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
    I believe that Appert still gets credit for the outcome of the game, but that's not from knowledge of RPI's book-keeping, that's from other examples in the MLB / NHL.
    I am pretty sure that it is the same in college.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Ed Weaver article on the suspension http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Ed Weaver article on the suspension http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory.
        It's not just the ECAC, all sports leagues protect their officials to the nth degree. See Armando Galarraga.
        This is just wrong. We all know that they are human and they make mistakes. When they do, they should be called on it.
        Would this have been reviewable if we had replay? And if we did, would this not have been overturned? How is showing the video a suspenable offense?
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Sully has put together his own op-ed as part of this week's blog entry about the suspension: http://www.uscho.com/2010/11/18/vete...makes-strides/ about 3/4 of the way down.

Obviously I posted a page or two back why I feel Coach may have been given the boot for a game, and Brian and I seem to be in agreement. One thing that should be noted is that this is the second incident in the past 3 years in which a coach has been suspended for public statements concerning officiating. I'm not going to claim First Amendment because the league is private and therefore has the right to refuse service; there'd be a beef if this was handed down by the NCAA. However, I think at this point, it would be wise for the league to take some action in investigating this.

I think a good first step would be to have Paul Stewart and/or Steve Hagwell attend at least one game officiated by the referee in question for the purposes of auditing. I think Saturday's game may have also been audited. You can't replace a ref because of one bad call that happened to affect the outcome of regulation because there will always be human error. However, it can be made sure this isn't a common enough occurrence to display that the official is unable to effectively perform his/her job.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            It's not just the ECAC, all sports leagues protect their officials to the nth degree. See Armando Galarraga.
            This is just wrong. We all know that they are human and they make mistakes. When they do, they should be called on it.
            Would this have been reviewable if we had replay? And if we did, would this not have been overturned? How is showing the video a suspenable offense?
            There was no whistle, therefore I do believe that it would have been reviewable. In order to overturn it, there would have had to have been indisputable evidence that the opposite was true. Remember, the original call was "no goal". If the referee was not able to tell via the video, the call of "no goal" would stand.

Comment

To the Union fan saying that what Appert did is not similar to Leman, ok so showing video about goal is more damaging that make comments that your team was "unfairly" over-penalized. If one of them was suspended then both should have been.

FlagDude, I believe that they would follow the NHL's lead on goal reviews, in which case that would mean that the "no-goal/screw job" Friday night would have been reviewable.

Comment

Has the video of the disputed goal made it to the internet? I am not referring to Ken Schott's video of the video.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Has the video of the disputed goal made it to the internet? I am not referring to Ken Schott's video of the video.
                  RPI Athletics puts up raw video of goals on their Youtube channel. I do not know if this play was included within that video.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    There was no whistle, therefore I do believe that it would have been reviewable. In order to overturn it, there would have had to have been indisputable evidence that the opposite was true. Remember, the original call was "no goal". If the referee was not able to tell via the video, the call of "no goal" would stand.
                    It makes no difference whether the call was overturned, my point was, if there was a camera on hand, it would have been looked at during the game. Why than is it a suspendable offense if the video is shown after the game.
                    Does the league consider it showing up the officials when the go to the video review booth? I don't think so, so why is it showing up the officials when someone else goes to the video.
                    It just doesn't make sense.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

TU article on the suspension http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...CAC-819714.php. Vines will be the acting coach.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I sent an email to Sidearm tech support who powers Union College All-Access asking if Fridays hockey game would be available in the archives anytime soon. I got this responce:

"I apologize for the inconvenience. Union College is currently in the process of setting up their media archive section for the season. They are hoping to have this section available soon. Thank you for your patience." ICS Tech Support

I havent seen it anyplace else on the net, so hopefully Union with have it up fairly soon.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          RPI Athletics puts up raw video of goals on their Youtube channel. I do not know if this play was included within that video.
                          If you are referring to this http://www.youtube.com/user/RPIathletics, it's only home games.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                            It makes no difference whether the call was overturned, my point was, if there was a camera on hand, it would have been looked at during the game. Why than is it a suspendable offense if the video is shown after the game.
                            Does the league consider it showing up the officials when the go to the video review booth? I don't think so, so why is it showing up the officials when someone else goes to the video.
                            It just doesn't make sense.
                            I'm sure there's probably some sort of sanctioning rule for official vs. unofficial video, and both teams must be made aware of and agree to the videotaping source. Not to mention, there have to be capabilities of regaining the video; my guess would be that a conventional video camera is used for the RPI-internal video and cannot be regained without stopping tape and rewinding.

As for the suspension, I don't think the video was the reason for the suspension, I think it was the comment made after the question of reprecussions, which could be interpreted as a threat against the employment of a league employee.

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                              I sent an email to Sidearm tech support who powers Union College All-Access asking if Fridays hockey game would be available in the archives anytime soon. I got this responce:

"I apologize for the inconvenience. Union College is currently in the process of setting up their media archive section for the season. They are hoping to have this section available soon. Thank you for your patience." ICS Tech Support

I havent seen it anyplace else on the net, so hopefully Union with have it up fairly soon.
                              I suspect that Union's equivalent of Rose Mary Woods is currently working on it.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If you are referring to this http://www.youtube.com/user/RPIathletics, it's only home games.
                                There was a video of Friday's game up there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHmBBvIJCg

Comment

Working...
                                X