Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
    I feel Ken usually does a good job of fair reporting without forgetting where the paper he writes for is located.I am not crazy about the slant he took with this past weekend incident but that is his perogative.Having said that if he is going to start policing the league coaches he is in for a busy season. It is strange to me that he is tougher on the hometown teams bench boss than he is on out of town teams. Did Ken or any local beat writer actually blast Schaefer for his stunt with the refs two years ago? Do any local beat writers ever comment on Bob gaudet and Ted Donato being in a constant state of anger over calls/no calls nearly every minute of every game? I don`t recall that being the case. These type of things are seldom mentioned and if so It is reported in a way that let the readers make his or her own decision on the matter. I wish he had just wrote a story blasting the league for being in the dark ages with video goal review because the questionable goal/no goal calls tainted 2 otherwise awesome college hockey games.
    To be fair, he asked both coaches about Friday's call. He also asked Nate about Saturday's call. Seth called it out, Nate didn't. Perhaps the suspension was for, "I think the refs should be concerned," and not the showing of the video. Just after re-watching the press conferences, that is the only possible card Hag has to play.

In any case, I'm happy Coach called them out, because they need to be called out. Hopefully all the coaches start calling it out and maybe the KGBC will do something about it.
    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 11-17-2010, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
      Apperts suspension got me thinking about an incident that happened at HFH many years ago. Don Cahoon was coaching Princeton and he felt his team was getting hosed by the stripes. He was very upset and Too get his point across he threw every spare stick on the bench out on the ice. Funniest coaching tantrum I ever saw. A few years back when Umass was at the field house he was heading back to the bench and I said to him as he walked by "Hey Don the refs seem fair tonight does this mean all the spare sticks will stay behind the bench. He looked at me with a huge grin.
      I too recall it fondly. It was as if the stick rack exploded onto the ice, with Toots on the dasher screaming his brains out. Gotta be one of the best collegiate coaching meltdowns ever. I was hoping Seth would think of it, but for Big Dana's sake I'm glad he didn't.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Good evening, everyone!

Pretty busy week considering the fact that there's no game this weekend, eh? We have our own take on the Appert suspension already up at Without a Peer.

Since there's no men's game this week, we've moved the podcast back to Thursday night at 8pm, but there's still plenty to talk about. We'll have the Troy Record's Ed Weaver on at the top of the show to wade through the fallout from RPI-Union and the Appert suspension. We'll also talk to WRPI analyst Ed DerGurahian, who covered both RPI-Union games and will be on the call for the women's weekend at home against Niagara this weekend.

And hey... if you can't wait until 8pm tomorrow night for the podcast, you can tune in to "Slap Schotts" on Fox Sports 980 (AM) at 11:05am tomorrow morning. I'll be on representing the RPI side of things, with WRUC's Brian Unger representing the Union side as we discuss the controversial weekend with Ken Schott. If you can't listen on your radio in the Capital District, you can tune in here.
        Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
          I too recall it fondly. It was as if the stick rack exploded onto the ice, with Toots on the dasher screaming his brains out. Gotta be one of the best collegiate coaching meltdowns ever. I was hoping Seth would think of it, but for Big Dana's sake I'm glad he didn't.
          Having been to many of Princeton's games when Toots was coach I can tell you 2 things about the man. Firstly he has a hot temper which can explode at any moment and secondly he is a great coach and is an asset to any program. I too recall the outburst at HFH. He was steaming that night.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad
            W1 - Did not say Leaman. Schott. I always hate when people on the boards say I've done this and that so it makes me qualified. However, I have been around the media in my day and the first question is not are you breaking some policy. It is let me get to to the truth. Plain and simple. I point to an earlier post about Kenny policing ECAC Coaches. That is bizarre to start the presser like that. If you get a chance to review tape you will see Seth is not happy with question. When did getting to the truth become an offense. His actions were appropriate and needed. The league and its officials need to be held accountable. BTW- Seth disagrees with the "consequences".
            According to the ECAC website "The League action was taken in accordance with Section VI. (Conduct and Ethics) of ECAC Hockey Policies and Procedures." I'm not sure what the specifics are. It is quite common though that what would ordinarily be "free speech" entitlement is regulated and restricted by leagues, associations, businesses, schools and the like. Membership comes at its price even if it means biting your tongue. As warranted as his actions may have been, they may well have run up against an insurmountable barrier. I have no problem with his standing up for his team but the league rules may have.

Comment

I'm certainly not surprised. I've written plenty about my hopes that officiating would improve with Stewart's arrival. That clearly isn't in the cards. I don't understand why a league containing schools with healthy bank accounts has not mandated the use of goal mouth cameras...it defies logic.

Seth said what needed to be said -- anything less would have been letting his guys down. I do think its funny/sad that the league is handing down a one game suspension for an incident following a league game, but it will be applied to a non-league game.

The one thing I missed from not posting over the weekend is that Seth was wearing a tan suit Friday night. Those that know me know of my "curse of the tan suit" theory. Which, as it sounds states that bad things happen to RPI when the coach wears a tan suit on game night. This is not a new phenomenon, but actually dates back to Buddy Powers...and was especially true with Fridgen. The curse has apparently carried over to Seth. We need to implore him (or Mrs. Appert) to burn the tan suit(s).
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                To be fair, he asked both coaches about Friday's call. He also asked Nate about Saturday's call. Seth called it out, Nate didn't. Perhaps the suspension was for, "I think the refs should be concerned," and not the showing of the video. Just after re-watching the press conferences, that is the only possible card Hag has to play.

In any case, I'm happy Coach called them out, because they need to be called out. Hopefully all the coaches start calling it out and maybe the KGBC will do something about it.
                I also hope more coaches start calling them out. I would bet a good bit of change that part of Appert snapping and going public was due to getting nowhere going through league headquarters the proper way. The league and the press need to realize that this no video review business is taking away from teriffic individual and team accomplishments. It should also relize that coaches are fired/letgo/not renewed on win loss record .
                Last edited by jstadts; 11-17-2010, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                  I'm certainly not surprised. I've written plenty about my hopes that officiating would improve with Stewart's arrival. That clearly isn't in the cards. I don't understand why a league containing schools with healthy bank accounts has not mandated the use of goal mouth cameras...it defies logic.

Seth said what needed to be said -- anything less would have been letting his guys down. I do think its funny/sad that the league is handing down a one game suspension for an incident following a league game, but it will be applied to a non-league game.

The one thing I missed from not posting over the weekend is that Seth was wearing a tan suit Friday night. Those that know me know of my "curse of the tan suit" theory. Which, as it sounds states that bad things happen to RPI when the coach wears a tan suit on game night. This is not a new phenomenon, but actually dates back to Buddy Powers...and was especially true with Fridgen. The curse has apparently carried over to Seth. We need to implore him (or Mrs. Appert) to burn the tan suit(s).
                  He wore a tan suit to the UNH game last year.

Comment

Seth is a smart guy. As a coach, sometimes you have step out of the traditional nice-guy comfort zone to make a passionate point to your team, your fans and to your league. All leagues have behavior standards, and I am sure Seth knew exactly what would happen when he showed the video to make his points. In other words, I think he he knew what the next game on the schedule was and whether he could afford to miss it. On the flip side, his team will be behind him, and I am sure the league and the newspapers will have learned a thing or two in the "disenfectant" process. As long as he doesn't make a habit of this, I think it's a net positive for SA.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      He wore a tan suit to the UNH game last year.
                      It may not be an absolute and scoff if you like, but I'm telling you more bad things have happened on tan suit nights.

Comment

When was the last time an RPI hockey coach was suspended by the league? As far as being calculated with what SA did and knowing that he would sit out a non-league game since he appealed his case before Saturday's game vs Union, further confirms my feelings of how weak the ECAC is with regards to policies and lack of respect for officials. SA is no dummy, however, there is a reason why no coach has ever brought a laptop to a post game press conference....in any league! The league has taken a hit here. You may think of it as being funny....support coach Appert's actions or not support it. There is a league called Hockey East. Those left behind are known as the ECAC. By the way, Coach Appert is not an ECAC guy! He just coaches a team in the league.
                        Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

I understand the outrage, but I can't say I think this is a wrong move by the league. Granted, I see ECAC hockey through garnet colored glasses, but take a look at a few things that are being missed or ignored. The first thing to look at is in sports at the next level (read professional) coaches speaking out against and/or showing up officiating are met with substantial financial penalties. While college hockey is considered an amateur sport, the coaches and so on are paid professionals, so perhaps they should be expected to live to the standards of their counterparts in the ECHL, AHL, and NHL. A 1 game suspension to be enforced on a game which is essentially a throw away, makes the point by the league, but it is not putting undo pain/suffering on the team or Seth who is not seeing any money come out of his pocket. One might even say that he got off easy.

Secondly, the comparison to other coaches actions is a little bit of apples and oranges. Coaches screaming from the bench, throwing objects on the ice, or as so many posters put it "Nate whining about calls," is certainly not the same as showing up to a press conference with video to show. Seth walked into the press conference knowing that he would show up the ref and make him look bad for making what may be perceived as in incorrect call. This is not answering a question with a quip about calls, it is premeditated with the sole intent of tarnishing (perhaps further) the integrity of the official.

Was the call at the end of the game a bad one? Seems like it from all accounts, but that would be the consensus even if there were not a press conference. Seth did not need to go out of his way to intentionally humiliate the officiating and that's where he stepped over the line. I appreciate a coach that backs his team, but these actions were a bit classless.

RPI fans will support their coach, others may not like what has transpired, but all need to look at the situation and make their evaluation based on their head and not their heart. There are many examples of poor behavior that we can all site...from every coach in NCAA hockey, from every team. Some are punished and some are not. This particular event is about Seth and how he acted by showing video as an example of what he was not happy about. Don't compare this with anything else as discipline is case by case. Just as there should not be payback penalties called, this should not be about what others do or have done. This given, I would think that Seth should recognize that he was able to make his point without significant repercussions. He forced the hand of the league and they responded appropriately without imposing a punishment that will negatively impact RPI to much of a degree
                          Last edited by OsecnUC; 11-17-2010, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                            When was the last time an RPI hockey coach was suspended by the league?
                            Maybe somebody has better access to such information than I do, but I've been following RPI hockey for a long time and I certainly don't recall any RPI coach being suspended prior to this. Of course, not many of RPI's previous 11 coaches had access to laptop computers on which they could show replays of disputed calls.

Just curious - will the assistant coach who runs the team during the UConn game be considered RPI's 13th head coach, or will the decision in that game go on Appert's record?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                              Just curious - will the assistant coach who runs the team during the UConn game be considered RPI's 13th head coach, or will the decision in that game go on Appert's record?
                              I believe that Appert still gets credit for the outcome of the game, but that's not from knowledge of RPI's book-keeping, that's from other examples in the MLB / NHL.
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                                Seth is a smart guy. As a coach, sometimes you have step out of the traditional nice-guy comfort zone to make a passionate point to your team, your fans and to your league. All leagues have behavior standards, and I am sure Seth knew exactly what would happen when he showed the video to make his points. In other words, I think he he knew what the next game on the schedule was and whether he could afford to miss it. On the flip side, his team will be behind him, and I am sure the league and the newspapers will have learned a thing or two in the "disenfectant" process. As long as he doesn't make a habit of this, I think it's a net positive for SA.
                                Agree 100%. Sometimes it is in the best interest of the team and the coach to do something like this. Personally there is a need for better officiating, but having said that, and given all the emphasis the NCAA, and it member organizations, puts on training officials, I don't see it as any better or worse than it has been over the years, and the job is definitely harder to do than it used to be. I am in favor of some sort of challenge system and instant replay. After all most officials are intent on getting the call right in the end.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X