Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by Havasu M View Post
    I would add Pothier to that list. If I remember correctly he was not all ECAC in his senior year but was all american. Some bias there. Regarding the disparity in penalties sat nite were there any Union penalties that were not deserved? I don't think so.
    Exactly. First time I saw him, granted he was an upperclassman by then, I thought he had it.

If Bailen were a little bigger then I'd feel the same way about him. Puck moving defencemen are in much greater demand in the NHL these days - even those that are a bit on the small side. He might be too much on the small side though.

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      After 11 games our defense has been sterling-if our offense had kept up we would have won at least 2 if not 3 more games (Harvard and one or both Union games that we lost and tied and perhaps the loss at CC). With JFK out now, we cannot afford any more injuries on defense. Sure we could move Brutlag back there or go with 5 defensemen at times-but this unit of 6 is playing like a machine. If the offense starts to put 3-4 goals in per game and some of it comes from lines other than Polacek and Helfrich-we will be one of the toughest teams in the country not only the ECAC to play against.
      The Penalty Killing unit has to get back to playing the way it did in first 4 games of the season. Seth was right when he said special teams play has been the difference in games with Union the past few years.

Comment

does it matter the amount of penalties each team had it has to do with fair, what each team deserved or took. Just as long as the penalties were called and the team who took the penalty had them called. Union took more penalties on this night.

One of the contributing factors why they lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
          The Penalty Killing unit has to get back to playing the way it did in first 4 games of the season. Seth was right when he said special teams play has been the difference in games with Union the past few years.
          I have always felt that special team play was crucial in college hockey-there can be as much as 20-30 minutes of it in a game. How well we play short handed and on the power play will determine how highly ranked we can get. We either have to avoid getting down to 3 skaters on the ice or find some way to defend that situation better since the refs seem to be quite willing to put teams down 2 men.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyguy View Post
            does it matter the amount of penalties each team had it has to do with fair, what each team deserved or took. Just as long as the penalties were called and the team who took the penalty had them called. Union took more penalties on this night.

One of the contributing factors why they lost.
            I didn't see them calling really any of the ticky-tack stuff. That's usually where we run into problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
              While I realize that U's two goals Friday were on the PP, I thought the RPI PK did a very good job...blocking a high number of passes & shots. I couldn't attend the Sat. night game...but if staying away allows us to beat Union, I am happy to oblige.

Union isnt the top rated PP unit in the country for nothing...they execute. I would argue that not taking penalties away from the puck is where our focus needs to be
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                Bergin made several good plays-he seemed to pinch at just the right time on several occassions. That last second goal does not happen without his effort throughout the last minute on the power play. Perhaps he has come out of his funk-he was a bit lackluster at times in previous games. He has considerable talent but at times seems to be coasting out there. But in his defense I have seen some world class defensemen seem that way also-just moving fast enough until called upon to turn it all on at full speed.
                Right on Doc... I thought Bergin had a very good game on Friday night, and it sounds as if he carried it through into Sat. night....here's hoping he's on a roll. Koudy's just makes me shake my head and smile...the kid is legit. Sure he makes an occasional mistake, but his instincts are outstanding and his skills aren't far behind. If he stays all four he will be a part of RPI lore, IMO.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                  While I realize that U's two goals Friday were on the PP, I thought the RPI PK did a very good job...blocking a high number of passes & shots. I couldn't attend the Sat. night game...but if staying away allows us to beat Union, I am happy to oblige.

Union isnt the top rated PP unit in the country for nothing...they execute. I would argue that not taking penalties away from the puck is where our focus needs to be
                  I have noticed a strong correlation between my emailing you updates and RPI winning.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    I think his funk has to do with being he's pretty much the anti-Kennedy, as it were. While Kennedy is a very defensive defenseman, Bergin strikes me as an offensive defenseman, and that's probably why he has been quarterbacking our power play, but would rather play the puck out and grab control, rather than just slap the puck out of the zone and put an opposing player on his rear (not to say that he doesn't do this at times).
                    Can't agree with this. IMO, in the early going Bergin has struggled with indecision and positioning which are absolute defensive imperatives -- whether you are a stay at home guy or not. That said, he had a very good weekend. Here's hoping he's on the road that we all thought he'd be on.
                    Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 11-15-2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Right on Doc... I thought Bergin had a very good game on Friday night, and it sounds as if he carried it through into Sat. night....here's hoping he's on a roll. Koudy's just makes me shake my head and smile...the kid is legit. Sure he makes an occasional mistake, but his instincts are outstanding and his skills aren't far behind. If he stays all four he will be a part of RPI lore, IMO.

Just remember, he just turned 18 today, so, he's still very green.
                      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                        Someone a while back stated that JFK may be our worst D-Man these days and at the time I almost replied to say that I could not agree more. I know he brings great leadership, but it would not surprise me if we actually do better over the next couple of weeks while he mends - so long as he stays in the locker room and keeps the underclassmen geared up.
                        JFK may not be the most talented, but he sure is the most motivated. In fact I could make a strong case for Bergin being our weakest defenseman in the early going. Aside from his undeniable leadership, the reason that JFK is out there so much is that he is the only upperclassman blueliner who knows how to body check and when to do it. And yes, there is indeed a time and place for that. Foss continues to baffle me with his lack of physicality and Bergin is right behind him. Jeff's reach and much improved positional play mitigate his lack of a physical game.

Bergin seems to be emerging from his early slumber, but will never be a guy you can count an to deliver the hammer. And no I don't subscribe to the "he's an offensive d-man" defense for Bergin. Bailen has a huge offensive upside and that guy never misses an opportunity to lay the hammer. You can indeed do both well -- if the internal motivation is there. Equally impressive to me is that Bailen has only been whistled for 3 penalties so far.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                          Just remember, he just turned 18 today, so, he's still very green.
                          I believe that I covered that with "...Sure he makes an occasional mistake."

Comment

I still think that he will be RPI's highest NHL draft choice for a defenseman in history.
                            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-15-2010, 01:14 PM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              I have noticed a strong correlation between my emailing you updates and RPI winning.
                              Thanks again for doing that RB, it was a bright spot in an otherwise sad weekend. As I stated, I am willing (reluctantly) to stay away if the outcomes continue in our favor.

Comment

RB - I missed the post game wrapups. What is JFKs injury? I did see him soak a very heavy shot at Union on Friday...

Comment

Working...
                                X