Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Bergin made several good plays-he seemed to pinch at just the right time on several occassions. That last second goal does not happen without his effort throughout the last minute on the power play. Perhaps he has come out of his funk-he was a bit lackluster at times in previous games. He has considerable talent but at times seems to be coasting out there. But in his defense I have seen some world class defensemen seem that way also-just moving fast enough until called upon to turn it all on at full speed.
    I think his funk has to do with being he's pretty much the anti-Kennedy, as it were. While Kennedy is a very defensive defenseman, Bergin strikes me as an offensive defenseman, and that's probably why he has been quarterbacking our power play, but would rather play the puck out and grab control, rather than just slap the puck out of the zone and put an opposing player on his rear (not to say that he doesn't do this at times).

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I think his funk has to do with being he's pretty much the anti-Kennedy, as it were. While Kennedy is a very defensive defenseman, Bergin strikes me as an offensive defenseman, and that's probably why he has been quarterbacking our power play, but would rather play the puck out and grab control, rather than just slap the puck out of the zone and put an opposing player on his rear (not to say that he doesn't do this at times).
      After 11 games our defense has been sterling-if our offense had kept up we would have won at least 2 if not 3 more games (Harvard and one or both Union games that we lost and tied and perhaps the loss at CC). With JFK out now, we cannot afford any more injuries on defense. Sure we could move Brutlag back there or go with 5 defensemen at times-but this unit of 6 is playing like a machine. If the offense starts to put 3-4 goals in per game and some of it comes from lines other than Polacek and Helfrich-we will be one of the toughest teams in the country not only the ECAC to play against.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyguy View Post
        Lets get back to the games!!!!!

What happened on Friday night is ridiculous. I thought that sat nights game was amazing.

There were moments where i thought that RPI was done, but they surprised me and battled the entire game. Great win on Sat.

I thought that the officials on Friday were dog s--t and the guys on sat did a good job.
        The sat refs called what need to be called and called a fair game. I had the opportunity to talk to seth about the first goal waved off on sat night and he agreed with the ref that it was the right call and the refs expiation was, the goalie was run into by a union and rpi player not giving him the ability to play the puck. No penalty just a stoppage before the puck goes in to the net. Seth said he was happy with the guys who worked on sat but still had a terrible taste in his mouth about Friday night.
        What a surprise that you thought the refs on Saturday called a good game being that RPI had 9 PP to 3 for Union.

Comment

After 11 games our defense has been sterling-if our offense had kept up we would have won at least 2 if not 3 more games (Harvard and one or both Union games that we lost and tied and perhaps the loss at CC). With JFK out now, we cannot afford any more injuries on defense. Sure we could move Brutlag back there or go with 5 defensemen at times-but this unit of 6 is playing like a machine. If the offense starts to put 3-4 goals in per game and some of it comes from lines other than Polacek and Helfrich-we will be one of the toughest teams in the country not only the ECAC to play against.
          In speaking of other lines, what happened to the Rabbani/Higgs/O'Grady line we saw during the RIT/Niagara weekend? That'd sure be nice to see again.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
            Actually I was at northeastern and it was that game that led me to my conclusion. He clearly does not see the ice as well as the other D men (from an offensive perspective). He also doesn't skate as well. He missed a couple of easy clears in that game too.

Don't get me wrong though - I'm not knocking him. He does work his tail off though and has a load of heart. I just think we have an embarrassment of riches on D now. Perhaps part of the reason for my conclusion is because it was the first time seeing Bailen who was extremely impressive while the freshman D played pretty well too.
            OK - I'll step up and say that I was the one who wrote that about JK. I have also written that the guy is an absolute warrior and a kid that I would want on my team because of his attitude and commitment....so let me say this way - I dont think that JK has an NHL future ahead of him and some of these other kids just might. What is also not lost on me is that success is not measured by hockey alone and with JK's attitude and work ethic and commitment he truly has the opportunity to be anything he wants. He is a true leader, and there are very very few of them.
            Last edited by Senna; 11-15-2010, 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Senna View Post
              OK - I'll step up and say that I was the one who wrote that about JK. I have also written that the guy is an absolute warrior and a kid that I would want on my team because of his attitude and commitment....so let me say this way - I dont think that JK has an NHL future ahead of him and some of these other kids just might. What is also not lost on me is that succes is not measured by hocky alone and with JK's attitude and wor ethic and commitment he truly has the opportunity to be anything he wants. He is a true leader, and there are very very few of them.
              Not to mention, sophomore year he did get the team's Most Improved award, and that kind of ethic is likely why he's a two-year captain. I'm sure in the classrooms he is also rocking it out in Chemical Engineering.

Comment

Time for an update that doesn't matter: INCH has us up one in the power rankings, while they have moved Union down three. We're at 17, and they put Union at 10. Elsewhere in the league, Yale dropped one to #5, and Dartmouth and Princeton are bubble-icious.

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/5...polls_0907.htm

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Time for an update that doesn't matter: INCH has us up one in the power rankings, while they have moved Union down three. We're at 17, and they put Union at 10. Elsewhere in the league, Yale dropped one to #5, and Dartmouth and Princeton are bubble-icious.

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/5...polls_0907.htm
                  And Cornell is????

PS-Yale should have dropped more giving up 4 goals to AirForce in the third period to lose.
                  Last edited by DrDemento; 11-15-2010, 09:25 AM.

Comment

And Cornell is????
                    Sending Fat Mike some contact information, and I hope his office has either a nice cheddar or gouda.

Comment

Originally posted by Senna View Post
                      OK - I'll step up and say that I was the one who wrote that about JK. I have also written that the guy is an absolute warrior and a kid that I would want on my team because of his attitude and commitment....so let me say this way - I dont think that JK has an NHL future ahead of him and some of these other kids just might. What is also not lost on me is that success is not measured by hockey alone and with JK's attitude and work ethic and commitment he truly has the opportunity to be anything he wants. He is a true leader, and there are very very few of them.
                      Well stated. I do not know if JFK has an NHL future or not-the scouts look for so many things in defensive players that I am certainly not one to judge. He does have fire and could play on my team anytime. Over the many years that I have followed the team I can only think of 2 defensemen that i knew immediately had NHL potential-Hammond and Dark. There were others I felt were borderline. It has always appeared to me that our strengths were offense and sometimes goaltending in the past. Now we seem to have crafted a defense that can keep us in every game. This is not exactly what coach SA has always talked about or promised but has sure delivered. I have always felt the team with the best defense that gave up the least goals was a threat to win the ECAC. There is a long way to go this season, but as of right now, I like this team and love that every game is a war.

Comment

I would add Pothier to that list. If I remember correctly he was not all ECAC in his senior year but was all american. Some bias there. Regarding the disparity in penalties sat nite were there any Union penalties that were not deserved? I don't think so.

Comment

After 11 games our defense has been sterling-if our offense had kept up we would have won at least 2 if not 3 more games (Harvard and one or both Union games that we lost and tied and perhaps the loss at CC).
                          I have to admit this thought has come to mind more often then not so far this season, especially with all the ties and one goal loses. I know it shouldnt because theres nothing we can do about it now but its scary just to think what this teams record could be if we still had our two freshmen stars from last year. This years team is very good and has the opportunity to be great if one or two players can step up their game, I think Cullen took a step in that direction this weekend. Glad to see him finally get his first goal of the season, hopefully they start to come in bunches now.

Comment

Post 10 http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...d-Brown-say-no!
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Just a quick note for the football fans-RPI was selected to play against St John Fisher in an ECAC Playoff game (but not NCAA Division III championship series). Historically we have done extremely well in these playoff games. In fact, I cannot remember losing any of them( I believe we are 8-0). We have only lost games in the NCAA Tournament. Congrats to coach King and the boys for being selected for a playoff game for the 8th time in the past 10 years. Go Red!!(It will at least hopefully keep Kurt busy for one more weekend game)

BTW-during the early mid 60's when I followed RPI football as a student we were 1-25-1. Not exactly playoff worthy!
                              Last edited by DrDemento; 11-15-2010, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Can we end the season right now?

Obviously with this, we're going to need to start stepping up in our league play. I think something else really important, at least for the opponents-of-opponents, is that we play Bowling Green in the tournament; otherwise we will not have CCHA teams into consideration. Perhaps the only blessing if we play UAH may be if the CCHA doesn't do so hot in the NC play, but I don't think that is going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X