Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by beman View Post
    wow! Take a chill pill. You are taking things a little too seroius. Eh?

Morality on a hockey bb.
    Posting jabs on a beat writer is wrong? Why? He prints jabs. (you are right he is a "beat" writer)
    i don't think this is a sad place i think its a hap hap happy place!

Instead of posting insults on here about the officials maybe we should concentrate on degrading the "beat" writer, and then maybe the "fighting apperts" from county rensselaer will get a call in the 3rd period.
    amen !!!!
    What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by TuteScrooge View Post
      OK, I was there and time for me to chime in with my view of the game.
      • Yale IS fast and constantly moving. A solid team, but I'm with troyboy here, not the #2 or #3 team in the country. let alone #1.
      • York had no chance on any of the goals against him. Yale had very good movement on their powerplay, it was the difference, but I felt that we were getting a handle on how to deal with it 5 on 4; 5 on 3 is a different story.
      • RPI was a bit on their heels for the first period+, they looked very tentative in the start, (an opening minute penalty didn't help) but eventually got their skating legs under them and hung with Yale. This coincided with an increase in the willingness to take the body.
      • The first RPI goal was pivotal, it kind of capped a growing change of momentum, and signaled an intense third period.
      • Momentum in the first 10 minutes of the third period was all 'Tute. Many shots and much scrambling by Yale, I don't think that Yale had been in this kind of position at home for a long time.
      • Penalties were ultimately our undoing (observation by Captain Obvious). There were a series of three penalties, Brock Higgs (hustle play trying to slow Yale down on their breakout), could have been called, but many similar had been let go. Just after this was killed, Laboeuf was sent off for a trip (this was more 50-50). The killer was the one on Bailen that set us on the 3 on 5; in my view this was a fantasy call by the training ref. I agree with everything Troyboy and AsyDad said on the subject. It was the kind of call you would expect for a 'make-up' but for the wrong team. And as Troyboy pointed out, there was a similar situation just after that was not called. Bah Humbug.
      • The matching penalties near the end was a complete mess. I happened in front of us and I was completely dumbfounded as to the referee's thought process. As RPI82 said, the ref was watching the whole thing intently and didn't call anything until he had them both. There was also a blatant cross-check by a Yale D-man on an RPI forward onto the back of the net right in front of this same ref. As he was watching the scrum in the corner and hadn't called anything, I assumed that this was the penalty; but no.
      • Coach A had a good game, I couldn't fault him for any of his decisions. Empty net so early was a gutsy call that didn't pan out, but the right one in my view.
      • I'm in accord with the majority of the posters here that it was a good performance by the undermanned Engineers against a good veteran Yale squad, with nothing to be ashamed of. Holding the top scoring team in the country to a single even strength goal, (the others were 5 on 4, 5 on t, and empty net goals) is something to build on.
      • Disagree with LTsatch's assessment of RPI as "quite a dirty team as well, a lot of uncalled for head shots and over reactions to anyone within ten feet of the crease". Yale, IMHO, is much more guilty of 'simulation' as they call it in futball. What LTsatch is calling 'dirty' I call 'finishing your check'; it was clear that Yale doesn't like the more physical side of the game. I saw several uncalled shots to the head by Yale, so if RPI had some, it seems that the refs missed them both ways.
      • York seemed to be hurt late in the game, unsure what the issue was/is. Could have been an equipment issue, but seemed to be a muscle thing; I hope he is OK. He played a solid game (as usual).
      • Good luck to Yale the rest of the season (apart from their visit to the HFH).
      • This RPI team has heart, and has it in spades. They are tenacious and never think that they're out of the game. Good leadership from SA. the ACs and the upperclassmen. A good vibe permeates the team. Good things will be happening in Troy in the not-to-distant future.
      • I think that a similar effort against Bruno will have positive results.

Just my $0.02 and worth what your paying for it.
      TuteScrooge;

Thank you for a post that was well-written, thoughtful,and incisive. Mirabile dictu, I even agree with 95% of what you said.
      Seth Appert is, indeed, one of the premier coaches .... young OR old.... in all of college hockey. His hunger to win comes through
      the computer screen from 3,000 miles away!!! RPI is a talented and extremely scrappy squad, and even on a night when he was
      point-less, Polacek was impressive. It's a bit scary to imagine this club with D'Amigo and Pirri.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
        The really odd part is that York was in that semi-collapsed position during a break in play down at the other end. The officials just lined up the players and dropped the puck (the one time it would have been helpful for them to be fussy about a face-off they weren't) without any of them or the Engineer bench noticing the situation.
        Well the officials are supposed to check the goalie/net when setting a face off. That said, if Allen was hurting and was unable to ready himself in time for a faceoff, he needs to get the attention of a ref.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by rpi08 View Post
          It also seemed to me that the 2 calls in the 3rd to put RPI down 2 men could have both been avoided. The first came after a failed dump attempt from center ice which Yale turned into an odd-man rush and RPI penalty. The 2nd came after a failed clearing attempt near the top of the zone when on the kill which allowed Yale to keep it in the zone soon leading to the call. I'm not saying either penalty was a good or bad call by the refs as I admittedly didn't have the greatest view of that end of the ice but I do think both could have been avoided.
          I forgot to comment on this. RPI08 is correct, both goals followed shortly after failed clears. As the game went on the Engineers began to skate very effectively with Yale, but one place that the Bulldog's speed seemed to affect them was on clears and breakouts. A number of times they seemed to rush things and failed to execute. As they say speed kills, but sometimes it is self-inflicted. The tendency when playing a fast team is to accelerate the game in each player's head - sometimes more than necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
            ...The fact that RPI is undisciplined and chippy is the fault of the coach. Less penalties=more wins.
            Yeah, because Martin's WWF-esque "Figure Four Leg Lock" on Cullen was a classic example of discipline and sportsmanship...riiiiight. What a crock.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              Yeah, because Martin's WWF-esque "Figure Four Leg Lock" on Cullen was a classic example of discipline and sportsmanship...riiiiight. What a crock.
              Kick save and a beauty Reputation points coming ur way from me.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad
                I think you are right but I don't think we are just having trouble with Yale on the clear that has been a problem all year.
                Re-read the post you replied to. rpi82 is saying that Yale's speed made them fail on their clears and we capitalized on those failed clears for our two goals. There's no question that our failed clears have bitten us in the azz.
                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                  Re-read the post you replied to. rpi82 is saying that Yale's speed made them fail on their clears and we capitalized on those failed clears for our two goals. There's no question that our failed clears have bitten us in the azz.
                  Thanx. Must not have had my reading glasses on. Yea, clearing the puck has been a problem. Bailen has been the best at it.
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

I'm a bit bored this afternoon (I'm actually watching the Devils game ) so I thought I'd stir the pot a bit with this quote from the Brown thread. I can't agree with this so I'm sure you can't. It includes an invitation to rip on him too. Good luck this afternoon.

"That's a program that can't admit that they were outplayed last year by a Brown team, and they accused Brown ad nauseum on our board of being cheap shot artists. They wer"e sore losers to the max last year, and you can bet they don't want to taste a loss to Bruno again. I fully expect to get ripped on by an RPI guy for making this comment. But the team, too, doesn't want to admit they lost to Brown, so you can bet they're going to come out and have a TON of fire. Verry dangerous game based on revenge alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                      I'm a bit bored this afternoon (I'm actually watching the Devils game ) so I thought I'd stir the pot a bit with this quote from the Brown thread. I can't agree with this so I'm sure you can't. It includes an invitation to rip on him too. Good luck this afternoon.

"That's a program that can't admit that they were outplayed last year by a Brown team, and they accused Brown ad nauseum on our board of being cheap shot artists. They wer"e sore losers to the max last year, and you can bet they don't want to taste a loss to Bruno again. I fully expect to get ripped on by an RPI guy for making this comment. But the team, too, doesn't want to admit they lost to Brown, so you can bet they're going to come out and have a TON of fire. Verry dangerous game based on revenge alone.
                      If you are not a cheap shot artist you really aren't concentrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post

W1 - I agree with one part of this post about being outplayed by them. I think it was the beginning of the present team's work ethic. I would point to you the song of "The Who" entitled "We won't get fooled again". I think SA and the team has taken many lessons from that loss. The Brown team that beat us in the playoffs was inferior to us in skill level but did outplay us. Conditioning was an issue that we have addressed. A team like Brown is infuriating because of the trap and also everyone on the team is 28 years old The conduct of Harry Z at HFH did not help the the love factor of RPI fans. It seems that they are up to their old tricks with the Z man's kneeing penalty at BU. Also, the officiating of Feola and Brown was awful in that series. Plus Hokymom adds to the bitterness that we have towards Brown.
                        Last edited by AspyDad; 12-04-2010, 04:28 PM.

Comment

This also doesn't help the Brownies case with RPI Faithful. This quote is from the groundbreaking WaP twitter page, "Zolnierczyk trailing Polacek back to the bench and running his mouth after the play. Par for the course."

Z is a class player. This act does not endear the Brownies to the RPI faithful.

BTW - I was impressed with Tom Reale of WaP insightful color commentary on the big broadcast last night. He does an outstanding job and is a great Ambassador for RPI Hockey.
                          Last edited by AspyDad; 12-04-2010, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                            I will be there tonight, however, I will not be able to attend the pizza party. Thanks for the invite. I will look for the scarf, I am sure my wife will also be wearing one of those.
                            Can you please let me know where you're sitting in the future? I am bothered when there are 'friends' close by and I don't even know they're there...

Comment

Great win!!!!! Nice to see alot of the newbies break the snide on scoring. This win of course reaffirms the existence of God. Now we can put that awful weekend in March behind us. Really glad to see us bounce back, shows the character of this team.

Comment

Originally posted by aspydad View Post
                                great win!!!!! ... This win of course reaffirms the existence of god. Now we can put that awful weekend in march behind us. Really glad to see us bounce back, shows the character of this team.
                                amen! :d

Comment

Working...
                                X