Ways to improve???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways to improve???

Greetings all.. as you may be able to very easily tell.. i'm one of the AIC Broadcasters.

I'm asking everyone here.. what does AIC need to do so they could have a better team (aside from going down to D3 for hockey.. as we all know there's no D2 hockey).

Could it be new leadership? Harder hitting players instead of scholars?

All opinions that are constructive are welcome!

Thanks!

Re: Ways to improve???

They need to send me a jersey.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Well, you guys have had the same coach for 27 seasons, but since joining a conference (MAAC/AHA) he's usually fielded a last place team, correct?

Based on that, it sounds like it would require the college's administration and the AD to start caring about the state of the program. If the prevailing objective is for the team to churn out four-year scholars and just have fun playing at the NCAA level, then the product you see on the ice will follow suit. If the coach knows that he is going to keep his job so long as his players stay out of trouble and graduate, then what incentive does he have to help the team improve? To start winning, aggressive changes in attitude, recruiting strategy, and perhaps even the coaching staff would be necessary.

Comment

Can the coach

Comment

Agreed on canning the coach.

His record is 265-464-55 over 27 seasons. That's a winning percentage of about 33%. Give him a cushy severance and breathe new life into the program. New logo, new uniforms, new coach... total relaunch. Results probably wont come in the first year or in 5 years or even 10 years, but making the initial change is what needs to happen to even START down the long road.
          Boston University Hockey
          1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

Comment

I thought they had shown some signs of possibly turning it around a year or two ago, but it has not panned out obviously.

One of the fastest ways to improve is to go after a top goaltender - because they can hide a lot of faults. Being a physical team, but be careful with this, also helps. A team that can outwork other teams can beat more talented teams.

I do think that they may need a younger coach who has some new ideas. When Coach Wright was unable to perform, it sounded like the team was playing better for a while. Now, I admit I don't know the Coach, but it could be time to get someone younger and more interested in winning there. This would be a great place for an assistant coach to get experience.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Stop playing guys that keep making the same mistakes. There are some good players that can play and they seem to take a back seat to players that the coaches cater too. The head coach needs to realize the game has changed, the first assnt who coached last year has no experiance at any level, he was teamates with the juniors and seniors. They need to focus on skill and have the same rules for everybody, this will straighten out the primadonnas who continue to lose no matter how they play. If you keep having the same results (losing) change it try different line combos give different players a chance in different situations PP PK they might be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown6 View Post
                Agreed on canning the coach.

His record is 265-464-55 over 27 seasons. That's a winning percentage of about 33%. Give him a cushy severance and breathe new life into the program. New logo, new uniforms, new coach... total relaunch. Results probably wont come in the first year or in 5 years or even 10 years, but making the initial change is what needs to happen to even START down the long road.
                I think a lot of this is right on point. As a coach, I will never say to fire a coach. Coach Wright had a lot of success before the move to D1, so maybe its the infrastructure that has failed him. Either way, I don't really know - it really isn't my place to comment on that side of things. Having one full time assistant also makes things difficult. I think Bentley is the only other D1 team with one assistant (I believe AIC also has a grad assistant - but am not positive).

I do like all the idea as far as relaunching/rebranding the program. Take the yellow jacket off the jersey and just go classy/simple with an AIC or American International or whatever. Also, scrap that yellow/gold jersey. White and Black. Keep it simple. Pony up a few thousand dollars to get a nicer equipment deal with a top flight company. All of these things should help recruiting. I don't know who AIC is using now - but go top of the line with the gear, either way. I know AIC is a small school in not the most lovely of neighborhoods - so I don't know what they push as far as making it attractive to recruits. That being said, obviously, the way to get good is to get good players. I think some of your rebranding ideas will help inject new life into the program and perhaps sway some prospective recruits to AIC. Another poster commented on recruiting a top goalie. This would certainly be the place to start. Start with a goalie, build from the net out and play defensive systems (i.e. trap) until all of the pieces (probably 5 years away) are in place to play a more exciting brand of hockey. Just one man's opinion - I wish all the best to AIC.

Comment

Overall, it seems that the Athletic Department needs to commit to the program... AIC doesn't even play a full schedule... They can add 3-5 games per year... Their "marquee" road trip this season is a visit to Mankato... And that's it for non-conference games... That right there tells recruits that they are going to a "B" level program... Give the kids a chance to play against the big schools... Give the players a platform to show what they can do...
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    Overall, it seems that the Athletic Department needs to commit to the program... AIC doesn't even play a full schedule... They can add 3-5 games per year... Their "marquee" road trip this season is a visit to Mankato... And that's it for non-conference games... That right there tells recruits that they are going to a "B" level program... Give the kids a chance to play against the big schools... Give the players a platform to show what they can do...
                    I agree with the first statement - they rest is not entirely up to them.

Scheduling is a 2 way street. Currently, AIC offers very little in terms of non-conference games because they don't help the SOS. It's also possible that the game does not even count in the RPI for a bigger team if beating them lowers that score.

Playing the big schools is not benificial anyway - for scheduling I would WANT to schedule bottom feeder teams on the other conferences for non-conference. Give the team a CHANCE to win to build a reputation of being competitive. Those are the teams that AIC should look to schedule. And I would think those teams would consider scheduling AIC in that they have a chance to win.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

AIC Broadcaster what suggestions do you have ypu watch all the games and know all the players. If you had your way what changes would you make and what players would you play, lets here your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                        I completely agree with this - when Maine first made the jump to D1 back in.....what, 1981 or so?, they played the Minnesotas, North Dakotas, BC's, and took some major beatings in the process, but it taught them what they had to become to do to be a contender. Success comes at a price. AIC needs to ask themselves, are they willing to pay the price?

Comment

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for. There is a very strong correlation between investment and program success. The best way to get relevant in hockey is to buy it. Spending millions will get you there. Sadly, not spending the money will keep your program a bottom feeder.

AIC needs an on-campus arena and a serious institutional commitment of funds to be relevant.

Comment

If it's been 27 years with the same coach and same results it would be wishful thinking to expect anything to change anytime soon.

Comment

A few years ago the players and parents went to the AD and it fell on deaf ears. Most of the assistant coaches that new the game left after a year or two, they couldnt take the BS that went on!!!! The broadcaster knows the deal he sees it he frustrated and has had it, he knows that there is some talent there and its not being used politics.

Comment

Working...
                              X