Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The BIG CHILL

It was an enjoyable event.

Sightlines: I was in row 82, in the corner of the end zone, and I didn't have any trouble following the game.

Michigan Stadium is the perfect venue for this. It was built for football, only, and seats are right up to the edge of the field. No running track, no extra width for soccer. The wide sheet filled out the field even more, and the action definitely seemed closer than at Camp Randall in February. Plus, even the front row of seats is 6-8 feet above field level, so I don't think that anyone had trouble seeing over the boards.

Atmosphere: It wasn't Yost, but not too many places are. 110,000+ doing the goal count and C-Ya chants was an impressive sight. I thought that a lot of people would be football fans who aren't familiar with Michigan hockey's traditions, but the chants were done uniformly all over the stadium. My only complaint was that I couldn't hear the band too well from the opposite end of the stadium, which was strange because that usually isn't a problem at football games.

Not too many people left early despite the blowout. They seemed to be savoring the moment.

Not as much tailgating before the game as for football, but given the time of year, I didn't expect it.

Weather: 39-40 degrees was very comfortable. I could've survived the 20's (Camp Randall was in the 20's in February). Thank God that the rain didn't start until later, because a cold rain would have been much worse than snow.

Game: Not the best game that I've ever seen, but I can't get mad at a 5-0 win. The ice seemed much better than at Camp Randall, and the players did not seem to be struggling with the conditions.

Attendance: The only small pocket of empty seats that I saw was at the very top of the student section. That surprised me at first, until I realized that UM (and MSU) have finals this week, so I'm sure they had a few no-shows. Not smart scheduling in that regard, but they got the record, anyway.

Fireworks: The fireworks after the goals were appropriate, but the post-game display was lame, the one disappointment of the night. The regular Friday shows at Comerica Park are much better, and those aren't special events.

Every year would be too much, but David Brandon said in the paper that he'd consider doing this every 4 years, and if they do, I'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by MichFan View Post
      It was an enjoyable event.

Sightlines: I was in row 82, in the corner of the end zone, and I didn't have any trouble following the game.

Michigan Stadium is the perfect venue for this. It was built for football, only, and seats are right up to the edge of the field. No running track, no extra width for soccer. The wide sheet filled out the field even more, and the action definitely seemed closer than at Camp Randall in February. Plus, even the front row of seats is 6-8 feet above field level, so I don't think that anyone had trouble seeing over the boards.

Atmosphere: It wasn't Yost, but not too many places are. 110,000+ doing the goal count and C-Ya chants was an impressive sight. I thought that a lot of people would be football fans who aren't familiar with Michigan hockey's traditions, but the chants were done uniformly all over the stadium. My only complaint was that I couldn't hear the band too well from the opposite end of the stadium, which was strange because that usually isn't a problem at football games.

Not too many people left early despite the blowout. They seemed to be savoring the moment.

Not as much tailgating before the game as for football, but given the time of year, I didn't expect it.

Weather: 39-40 degrees was very comfortable. I could've survived the 20's (Camp Randall was in the 20's in February). Thank God that the rain didn't start until later, because a cold rain would have been much worse than snow.

Game: Not the best game that I've ever seen, but I can't get mad at a 5-0 win. The ice seemed much better than at Camp Randall, and the players did not seem to be struggling with the conditions.

Attendance: The only small pocket of empty seats that I saw was at the very top of the student section. That surprised me at first, until I realized that UM (and MSU) have finals this week, so I'm sure they had a few no-shows. Not smart scheduling in that regard, but they got the record, anyway.

Fireworks: The fireworks after the goals were appropriate, but the post-game display was lame, the one disappointment of the night. The regular Friday shows at Comerica Park are much better, and those aren't special events.

Every year would be too much, but David Brandon said in the paper that he'd consider doing this every 4 years, and if they do, I'll be back.
      Pretty fair and complete comments. I was in sec 21 row 40- or at about the 27 yard line- and I could see fine except when people would stand up. Very few glitches, and unlike Yost, I could actually hear our P.A announcer... ( Matt RRRRust!) Agree about the fireworks, but that was just window dressing- didn't expect the type of shows where they actually spend alot and have the safety to make it attractive.

Real happy for Shawn Hunwick- could see the guys make the extra effort for him. Now they have to do the same on friday nights. Second half of the season may not be as brutal- 9 home games and 6 away games to go plus the GLI. Should be a nice springboard to the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        I don't understand that at all- as a fan, I sure could SEE the size difference. Which is one reason I really liked the larger sheet- much easier to watch the game.
        Do you mean the big ice made it easier to see because it was outdoors in the football stadium, or do you generally find it easier to follow the action at any game on the big ice? The reason I ask is I always seem to get the sense at these outdoor games the ice APPEARS to me to be bigger. Optical illusion I guess.

Originally posted by streaker View Post
        Very few glitches, and unlike Yost, I could actually hear our P.A announcer... ( Matt RRRRust!)
        Man, I couldn't hear the PA guy when I was at Yost in 1980. You guys really need an update!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
          Do you mean the big ice made it easier to see because it was outdoors in the football stadium, or do you generally find it easier to follow the action at any game on the big ice? The reason I ask is I always seem to get the sense at these outdoor games the ice APPEARS to me to be bigger. Optical illusion I guess.
          Well, I thought the larger sheet filled the field a lot better, so it brought the action closer to the fans. Even if only a few feet....

It does appear bigger, since the closest camera is a lot farther away- it's really easy to get a whole rink view on TV.

And I thought the boards closer to the edge made the view over them better. No idea if that is true, but the game was easy to watch. (sure, I'm used to it... but still).

Comment

and unlike Yost, I could actually hear our P.A announcer... ( Matt RRRRust!)
            Did you bring that up with bluevox? I understand he *might* be interested. Maybe.

Comment

I agree the larger sheet made for better view. At MSU it had a feeling of being farther away. I was at Sec 21 row 20 and the height was enough to see most of the action but for the idiot that stands up when everyone else is sitting and causing a mass stand-up to try to see. I watched the video board rather then bounce up and down.
              It was just like Yost (south end) poor sound! I like the idea of doing this every so often, say 4-5 years so it doesn't get stale.
              I skated on Sunday and other than the wind the sight of looking up and feeling like your in between tall buildings was breath taking, or maybe it was the wind.
              He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

Did you bring that up with bluevox? I understand he *might* be interested. Maybe.
                Yost's audio issues in our end of the building (since you sit a half a section from me- south end) is not our fine PA guy's fault. Frankly, he sounds like he is talking into a tin can sometimes. I would think that this is on Brandon's list of Yost improvements (again) along with the reconfiguration of the bleachers, concessions etc.

Oh- and as far as seeing the puck/ice better- they did paint the surface under the ice white in order to deter the glare affect. I think it showed well, especially on tv. I don't think it had anything to do with the surface being bigger- although it did bring the rink closer to the stands. Two different issues.

Comment

Yost's audio issues in our end of the building (since you sit a half a section from me- south end) is not our fine PA guy's fault. Frankly, he sounds like he is talking into a tin can sometimes. I would think that this is on Brandon's list of Yost improvements (again) along with the reconfiguration of the bleachers, concessions etc.
                  do you remember how many versions of the PA we are up to now? I seem to remember it's changed 2-3 times since '94. Just thought that the guy talking might have some input to the guy projecting it... probably not.
                  Oh- and as far as seeing the puck/ice better- they did paint the surface under the ice white in order to deter the glare affect. I think it showed well, especially on tv. I don't think it had anything to do with the surface being bigger- although it did bring the rink closer to the stands. Two different issues.
                  One thing here- I watched the replay, and when the ambient light got lower, and the stadium lights got "higher" - the rink turned bright white, and you could not see the lines much at all. it was really odd. Puck was still there. If you watched the game on TV, that is NOT how we saw it at the stadium. The rink did get relatively brighter as the ambient light went down, but there was no major interference with the colors on the ice. Maybe it was my TV....

Comment

http://twitter.com/MVictors/statuses/14733600473751552

85,451? The hell?
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      That's only people that had an actual ticket that got scanned coming into the stadium. Anybody that had any sort of special pass to get into the game like band, media, etc. doesn't count under Guiness' rules.
                      Last edited by MaizeRage; 12-14-2010, 03:16 PM.
                      Originally posted by dicaslover
                      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Fine, but that still doesn't explain the 28,000 person gap.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          Something smells with that link. Even seeing the couple of holes, there wasn't more than 5k in open seating. And the students just looked like they were ignoring the actual seats...

Comment

Something smells with that link. Even seeing the couple of holes, there wasn't more than 5k in open seating. And the students just looked like they were ignoring the actual seats...
                            http://www.freep.com/article/2010121...1-at-Big-Chill

this link makes it sound like Guinness counted tickets scanned. While tickets that were ripped didn't count. If I read that right...

Sounds like they are still working on an exact figure.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

New to the thread, but read the article and am confused. Unless there's some huge conspiracy going on, can someone point out to me where there are 28,000 empty seats here?

*****http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/43/89/780e217c491bb8b289d0a31fa230.jpeg******
                              time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                                New to the thread, but read the article and am confused. Unless there's some huge conspiracy going on, can someone point out to me where there are 28,000 empty seats here?

*****http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/43/89/780e217c491bb8b289d0a31fa230.jpeg******

You'll note that there are no actual links to Giunness nor Michigan- just e-mails and twitters. I'll wait until I see an offical document from both Giunness and Michigan before I start screaming.

Comment

Working...
                                X