Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The BIG CHILL

Originally posted by DominicHennig
    Hey - If any of you like watching video content on college hockey, the Ferris State Bulldogs in the CCHA has 3 of their top 5 news articles featuring video.

www.FerrisStateBullogs.com/Sports/MIce

I like to browse other college hockey websites after the Friday and Saturday games to watch highlights as well as during the week to watch series previews or press conferences, thought I'd share another spot for fans to check.

Here are a few:

http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...oncos_11-20-10
    http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...eview_11-22-10
    http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...ights_11-24-10

Let me know if you like the work so far.
    Good lord, I've certainly plugged my web content before, but this is a bit much, no? Keep going, there are several threads you haven't posted in yet
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by sqeyes View Post
      Dasher boards look like they are up...
      http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...10.html#webcam
      They're going to have to get everything up soon, there is a college (Division III) game there next Saturday morning.

Yes, that is a shameless plug that I do not attempt to hide. At least mine is somewhat related.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

The Ann Arbor News has a bunch of pictures and stories about the ice being put in at The Big House.

http://www.annarbor.com/cgi-bin/mt/m...Chill&limit=20

The pictures are awesome.
        Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Would have been nice on a national level had one or both teams have had a killer season so far.

But we will still have fun.

Comment

Let's talk about the weather.

Comment

Couple of observations:

WRT the Olympic ice, I think it will be big advantage to Red's team given the top-to-bottom speed he has. I watched them shred OSU down in Columbus this past weekend, and I saw MSU earlier this year - I think the extra space will really tip the ice in the Wolverines favor considering the depth of skating speed/skill on the Wolverines vs Spartans.

WRT weather and the ice, there were a bunch of games played in the Big House yesterday (high school, AAA). 28 degrees and a bit windy - bracing to be sure. The ice looked really hard. Not much chipping or deep cuts, but I only saw HS games and the kids don't abuse the surface as much. Weather for Sat calls for 30 degrees and a slight chance for snow. Weather all this week forcasted to be low-mid 30s with intermittent snow/flurries. Should be great come game time!

There were bleachers set up adjacent to the ice for the HS and AA games, but I suspect those will be moved for the big event. I have never seen glass so clean - brand new. It was almost like not having glass, as one could stand right up against it for the kids games. Should be quite an experience on Saturday.
              Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                Couple of observations:

WRT the Olympic ice, I think it will be big advantage to Red's team given the top-to-bottom speed he has. I watched them shred OSU down in Columbus this past weekend, and I saw MSU earlier this year - I think the extra space will really tip the ice in the Wolverines favor considering the depth of skating speed/skill on the Wolverines vs Spartans.

WRT weather and the ice, there were a bunch of games played in the Big House yesterday (high school, AAA). 28 degrees and a bit windy - bracing to be sure. The ice looked really hard. Not much chipping or deep cuts, but I only saw HS games and the kids don't abuse the surface as much. Weather for Sat calls for 30 degrees and a slight chance for snow. Weather all this week forcasted to be low-mid 30s with intermittent snow/flurries. Should be great come game time!

There were bleachers set up adjacent to the ice for the HS and AA games, but I suspect those will be moved for the big event. I have never seen glass so clean - brand new. It was almost like not having glass, as one could stand right up against it for the kids games. Should be quite an experience on Saturday.
                I'd love to think that UM's precieved skill will out weigh MSU's, but I really believe that the weather will force a 3-3 tie.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  Would have been nice on a national level had one or both teams have had a killer season so far.

But we will still have fun.
                  In respect to the teams' performances so far and level of play/talent, it was interesting to see some highlights over the weekend from the first outdoor game in EL and to see about 10 NHL'ers on the ice. I think there might only be a few to make the NHL in this 2010 game.

MSU had Jr. Ryan Miller, Jr. JM Liles, Fr. Duncan Keith, Sr. Adam Hall, Fr. Jim Slater and Sr. Andrew Hutchinson, while Michigan had Jr. Mike Cammalleri, Soph. Mike Komisarek, Fr. David Moss, Fr. Eric Nystrom, Jr. Jed Ortmeyer and Fr. Dwight Helminen.

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                    Couple of observations:

I watched fridays game on tBTN it did not appear that Michigan 'shredded' tOSU. Considering that UM won the next game 2-1, I doubt they 'shredded' them that night either. I also saw the game vs Minnie after T-day on big ice. Michigan looked tired and out of sync all but the last minute of the game. Passes and shots were all poor angles. UM ranked at 11 was overranked. Our offense struggles to score. Cycles poorly and lacks a powerplay. Our only hope of beating MSU is if the same team that got swept by an improved WMU team shows up to the Big Chill.
                    No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
                      Our only hope of beating MSU is if the same team that got swept by an improved WMU team shows up to the Big Chill.
                      Their bus should arrive Saturday morning.

Weather forcast for Saturday: Numerous and intermittent puck and snow showers in Palmisano's Crease.

Comment

So I'm not the only one that expects a ho-hum game, then. Good to know.

I'll do my best to revel in the atmosphere of 110,000 other hockey fans. Even in only 10k of them are REALLY hockey fans.

1-1, 2-2, or 3-3?

I just can't see a 4-4 game- too many goals scored.

No idea how many SO goals will be not scored...

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          So I'm not the only one that expects a ho-hum game, then. Good to know.

I'll do my best to revel in the atmosphere of 110,000 other hockey fans. Even in only 10k of them are REALLY hockey fans.

1-1, 2-2, or 3-3?

I just can't see a 4-4 game- too many goals scored.

No idea how many SO goals will be not scored...
                          I too expect the game on the ice to be only so-so. IMO most of the outdoor hockey played since the original cold war between these two schools 9 years ago have been only so-so. What makes this one a little more interesting is the sheer number of people who will be there. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I would guess the NHL game in Buffalo holds the current mark for attendance at an outdoor game? This one will have at least 30,000 more people in the stands. Any word on how the ice surface did in the D-III game Saturday?

Comment

Michigan Stadium (capacity 109,901) is sold out
                            for “The Big Chill at the Big House,” which will smash
                            the world record for the largest attendance at an
                            ice hockey game. Nine years ago on Oct. 6, 2001,
                            Michigan and Michigan State played to a 3-3 tie in
                            “The Cold War” at Spartan Stadium before 74,544 fans
                            to set the record. The current mark of 77,803 fans was
                            set on May 7, 2010, at Veletins Arena, a domed soccer
                            stadium in Germany, when USA played Germany in
                            the 2010 iiHF World Championship. Representatives
                            from the Guinness Book of World Records will be in
                            Ann Arbor to certify the attendance at the game.
                            From the U of M game notes

Big Chill Game Notes
                            Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

First time in Michigan. Always wanted to see the inside of this building. Should be a great event.
                              Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

With the event 3 days away, I'm getting that inspired feeling.

Can we get a You Raise Me Up please?

Comment

Working...
                                X