Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: who to root for?

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    The players will be leaving in 4 years anyways, so if your loyalty to the team is dependent on one player (or group of players) you were probably never really a fan of the team to begin with. As for the downside of having a highly touted recruit, that is, them leaving before 4 years, well that's just one of the many trade-offs in life. If you don't want the superstar that might be gone soon, don't recruit and accept him, but if you do be prepared for them leaving. I'm sure teams that have won NCs due to players on their team that leave before graduation are really complaining about them not staying the full 4.
    Hell, on average, how many guys are in the NHL for more than 4 years?? You do always hear about the stars that last 10+ years, but not a whole lot about those guys that maybe get a season or two in.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
      And don't forget to tell them they are as stupid as Osorojo
      I didn't see john hill's name mentioned...
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        Why are they problems?

Its great you're seeking the cure for the common candy bar.

Some day when we don't want candy bars and we can't avoid them we'll have you to thank.

P.M. : Thanks for clearing that up. There is no problem with "raids." I'm relieved to learn it's a situation somehow like candy bars, and I'm sure the leaders of DI college hockey and the NHL will be equally relieved and grateful for this information. Your explanation should cause them to cancel their meeting and free up some spare time because of it. I trust you have informed the DI coaches and the NHL commissioner that "NHL player raids" are purely imaginary problems?

Comment

P.M. : Thanks for clearing that up. There is no problem with "raids." I'm relieved to learn it's a situation somehow like candy bars, and I'm sure the leaders of DI college hockey and the NHL will be equally relieved and grateful for this information. Your explanation should cause them to cancel their meeting and free up some spare time because of it. I trust you have informed the DI coaches and the NHL commissioner that "NHL player raids" are purely imaginary problems?
          You're saying there's a problem. I don't think people are doubting you there. Where we are doubting you is your naive suggestions for solution. The NCAA doesn't have a single bargaining chip AT ALL when it comes to what either the NHL or Major Junior wants to do. They're basically begging at this point, and the professional ranks have absolutely no advantage whatsoever to give into their requests.

Comment

FD: A significant number of NHL prospects are currently playing DI hockey, and colleges are paying for tuition, books, supplies, and room and board for most of these guys at considerable expense - over $50K. per player per year. Colleges are paying for the equipment, uniforms, coaching, facilities, ice time, training, medical care, insurance and even education necessary to develop each of these NHL prospects.
            We are talking about a considerable expenditure in time and money for each of these prospects, an expenditure which the NHL does not have to make and an expenditure whose benefits are minimized for colleges hosting one-and-done players. All these expenses and benefits are in play, if the colleges want to put them there. I see an opportunity for negotiation here.

Comment

The amount of money suggested by Osorojo is close to what a player would make playing minor league hockey. The actual players don't physically see any money until they are playing pro. They get everything paid for them - that is a considerable differance if you ask me from a player perspective.

Player raids hurt the NCAA - but they have little power to stop them without cooperation from the NHL. Any rules put in place otherwise can and will be used against them by Major Juniors to lure the top prospects there. And while some of us complain, based on the USCHO poll, a plurality of voters think the players should be able to do what they want regarding turning pro with no compensation for the schools of they leave.

I don't have high hopes for this meeting between the NCAA and NHL. The coaches are there to help themselves as much as the players, because if you can keep top talent for longer, you have a greater chance of winning.
              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2010 Frozen Four participant
              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

College hockey programs are understandably reluctant to publicize the deficits which their hockey programs produce, but it's likely that most, if not all programs operate at a deficit. For example, the Denver Post revealed that DU's hockey program operated at a $1,873,745 deficit for one year. Many fans are perfectly happy as long as colleges can acquire public funds to cover the deficits run up by their hockey programs or colleges can increase tuition to fund these losses. Yeah, other college programs operate at a loss, but two wrongs don't make a right unless you're a politician justifying your miserable policies.

There is absolutely no doubt that the NHL derives substantial and cost free benefits from the player development provided by DI college hockey programs. There is no reason taxpayers and those who pay college tuition should be obliged to subsidize the development of NHL players.
                Last edited by Osorojo; 11-05-2010, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Danged If I know, but...
                  That sums up just about every post of yours on this board. Well done.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

but it's likely that most, if not all programs operate at a deficit.
                    Need more than one year at one school to make this claim. My understanding was that most D-I hockey programs are profitable.

Powers &8^]

Comment

It's also harder to make statements regarding all teams, especially a team as relatively isolated as Denver. Only 3 teams in their area (counting them).
                      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2010 Frozen Four participant
                      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Working...
                      X