Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vermont at UMass-Lowell Friday November 5th; Let the flamefest begin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont at UMass-Lowell Friday November 5th; Let the flamefest begin.

I know it is against the rules to start a game thread when one team still has to play a game earlier that week (UML at BC Tuesday) but you can't imagine how much anticipation there is for this game among all Hockey East fans. These two teams throw one of the best fan fights anywhere. Let it begin.

You must get there early to get your Bruschi bobblehead. But if you don't there will be a Patriot cheerleader to sign autographs for you through the first intermission. Wonder if that will distract JCarter and Company? Hope they put him in Section 101. See link for details.

http://www.goriverhawks.com/sports/m...110110aab.html

Re: Vermont at UMass-Lowell Friday November 5th; Let the flamefest begin.

There are signs that this UML team is heading in the right direction. Then there are signs that it isn't (like the 5 minutes to begin the second period against BU). Either way, if Lowell wants a real shot at making the HE playoffs, they need to start taking some points here and there.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

These weekend is exactly what the Cats need. A tough schedule to start the season against (according to INCH) the #13, #13, #18, and #6 teams in the country or #13,#13, #6 in the real polls has left the Cats with some very tight and tough games with two ties, a OT loss, and a 2 game ENG loss to DU. The offense has faltered in these games despite Madore single handedly keeping the Cats in it.

Madore held a high powered Maine offense averaging 4.67 gpg (against some of the top teams in the country) prior to their trip to the Gutt. UML has in turned avged 2.2 gpg playing a few solid teams and a few less solid teams. Madore is currently allowing 2.39 GAA against top notch teams. Together this leads me to the predicition of 1-2 UML goals.

Offensively the Cats have struggled and the only saving grace has been the play of Wahs Stacey. Wahs notched 4 against DU despite what the refs seem to think and continued with another against ME. His other two games were shortend to less then a period of play due to injuries, so despite the 1 gpg average it is in actuality much higher. Outside of that, Stalberg and McCarthy have had a disappointing start and the Frosh are still getting their feet wet.

Defensively the RiverHawks are giving up almost 4 gpg, and are a -11, albiet the 8 spot put on them by ME have skewed this tremendously. That said UML has given up 3 or more goals 5 of their 7 games including 4 and 3 to PC and NU respectively. This all boils down to me predicting UVM puts up 3 goals.

Overall Prediction :

UVM 3 : UML 1
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Really just thinking about our five hour pub crawl from North Station to Conte Forum.

Comment

Where is everybody? You don't have to be fighting for first to continue the great slugfest you had last year. It was perhaps one of the most enjoyable new rivalries to develop in many years. Go at it. Vermont still has a realistic shot at home ice. Lowell has been Jekyll and Hyde this year; probably youthful errors to blame. But they have shown signs they can compete and getting to the playoffs is not out of the question.

Comment

This game is just what Lowell needs. After facing two top five teams BU and BC, Lowell gets the winless Catamounts at the Tsongas Center. The River Hawks are steadily getting their feet underneath them. Lowell's young team is hurting from a lack of senior leadership, with Campbell, Cey and Budd out against Boston College. I'm not sure of their statuses going into Friday's game. As long as the 'Hawks don't play down to the competition, they should pick up their second win of the season.

Lowell rolls 4-1.
            Lowell Forever
            Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
              Where is everybody? ....
              who cares?
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Where is everybody? You don't have to be fighting for first to continue the great slugfest you had last year.
                Maybe the fans of both programs finally realized they suck. Or not... despite being several posts deep we still haven't heard about Vermont's "victories" in games they should have won this year because refs called back a bunch of goals, Vermont's moral victories over BC and BU national champs in prior regular seasons, and Vermont's crowning achievement in the past decade - beating Yale and Air Force in the regionals to get to the Frozen Four!!!!

But give it time, I'm sure we will hear about all these things very soon!!!
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Where is everybody?
                  We're (well, I'm) here ... just not much to say. I don't think there was a single Lowell fan that had a) high expectations of this year and b) any idea what they'd see.

I think my disappointment so far is two fold ... the first is that the defense hasn't helped out the rookie goaltenders as much as I think they should be doing. Second, the lack of production from the upperclassmen so far this season. For the guys that have played at least half the games this season, the top three players in PPG are underclassmen. We need Val and Campbell (when he gets back) to step up.
                  Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I want to apologize for my outlandish post earlier. I may have overstated Lowell's scoring ability. I was quite frustrated that the 'Hawks were unable to get that ENG to make my prediction 100% accurate. I do find some solace in the fact that everything else I said was, in a word, perfect.

Except for one fluke goal that resulted in a pass off a stanchion, Vermont's offense was woefully inept. Sure, they ended up with 30 shots. But almost all of them were from bad angles and very few of them could be considered quality scoring chances.

I'm giddy with anticipation to see how the Vermont fans will blame the refs on this one, as the Catamounts got the majority of the calls AND got away with some ridiculous thuggery.

All things considered, this was a good win for the 'Hawks. They have to take winnable games like this before they get to the more serious competition in Hockey East. It's going to be critical that Lowell beats the Amhersts and Vermonts of the world if they want to get anywhere this season.
                    Lowell Forever
                    Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                      Overall Prediction :

well you were close, dummy.

no wonder vermont hasn't won a game this year. sneddon let his boys go up 1 and tried to sit on a lead for 51 minutes. what a terrible team. totally deserving of their last-place standing.

Comment

Vermont looks worse than PC does this year. That is how bad they played. You know what's a fantastic idea? Sitting on a 1-0 lead for 51 minutes. Works like a charm... every time.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                          ...Blah blahblah...
                          Overall Prediction :

Dyslexia.

Had to be one of the ugliest games ever watched. No inspiration or intensity until the 3rd. VT shocked me at how poorly they looked. Dumb mistakes and sloppy play on both sides. I guess I just expect us to look as bad as we are expected to be. Didn't expect that out of the Cats.

Comment

A much, much needed come from behind win tonight for the River Hawks. No question the game was sloppy and loose on both sides of the coin and rather painful to watch for the first two periods.

Vermont looked dreadful in the third period; in fact I was surprised how gassed they were at times. This was a Friday game and while they haven't nearly play as many games as the River Hawks, I expected them to have a little more in the tank. The defense simply collapsed and the Hawks took full advantage.

As I mentioned in my section, when did Vermont get EZPass®? From my angle, it looks like the five-hole was wide open for Pendenza's goal on Madore, but I wasn't sure. If it did go through the five-hole, that was a pretty soft goal at a key point in the hockey game and in fact was the turning point.

Carr has looked much more confident in the last two games, and this is the best game I have seen him live. While Vermont's offense is nothing to write home about, I marked down a spectacular right-pad save by Carr on a Vermont forward that prevented the game from going 2-0 just before the first period ended. Definitely deserved the first star in my book.

A little over 3700 and change, a little under my target of 4500 per home game for this year. Even Bob made a few comments on the post game report "being a bit disappointed" in the turnout which I would have to agree on a Friday evening. While the record has a lot to do with it, I expect a better student turnout. We will probably see at least 4500 tomorrow night as UNH should bring a few hundred from Cowtown.

Very happy I didn't have to change the Whammy Total at least for one night. In fact, Patronick has it right, this was a game Lowell had to win. Very interested in tomorrow's game against a much better offense that seems to have problems on the smaller ice at the Tsongas.
                            Last edited by John_Fuller; 11-05-2010, 10:53 PM. Reason: EZPass is a Registered Trademark :D
                            - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
                              Very interested in tomorrow's game against a much better offense that seems to have problems on the smaller ice at the Tsongas.
                              They didnt have problems on the smaller ice at miami or Cornell or BC

Comment

Working...
                              X