Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian University's competing against D1 Programs

Originally posted by William Blake View Post
    Am I missing something? I only see 5 wins out of all those Canadian games, and none against a team that I'd expect to do much (though I haven't been paying too close attention yet). Maybe New Brunswick is decent and lower tier CCHA (OSU and Ferris State) and HE (Mass and Vermont) teams aren't very good. Overall, it still looks like most Canadian teams get crushed by NCAA teams that have nothing to play for and are still just warming up.

5-27-2 (I'm assuming all those teams played Canadian opponents, except the US U-18 team of course ) doesn't seem like a particularly good record, though I guess it could still be a huge improvement over last year.
    Well Xavier's tie at BU makes them look good, but when you see that they only scored on BU's 3rd stringer who was on the ice for the first time since February 08, and Xavier's goalie - while he played great - would be a ridiculously ineligible NCAA player as he played 5 years of major junior (3 as a starter) and one season in the ECHL. Nonetheless, BU's offense was sloppy and Xavier deserves credit for hustling all night and scrapping out a tie.
    time to write new history

Comment

Checking some of the Canadian college rosters, I think I counted 13 players on Western Ontario that had Major Junior experience (mostly OHL & WHL) so it's no surprise that they could compete with US D1 teams (beat Ohio St in ot).

Comment

Yeah, I bet Western Ontario's goalie would do awesome in D-I college hockey.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/player.ph...13221&gender=m

Oh....
        Originally posted by dicaslover
        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Lethbridge looked really good tonight. Their goalie was rock solid. Manitoba has been a pushover for most of the games UNO has played them.
          UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

As has been mentioned, the three CIS conferences are not equal. Most national champions come out of the AUS (Atlantic University Sport) or Canada West conferences. The OUA is the biggest conference (combines Ontario and Quebec hockey schools) and the weakest. Half the teams there would be Division II if we had such a thing in the CIS.

The AUS was 3-5-2 against the NCAA this past weekend, and only two games were blowouts (although several teams were heavily outshot). I'm not even going to calculate the OUA's record, as I believe only Western and Laurier pulled off a win.

The top teams in the CIS, which again tend to be in the AUS or Canada West, recruit the majority of their rosters from Major Junior. The bulk of the OUA teams recruit from Junior A and even Junior B. Only the top-end OUA teams have a lot of former Major Junior players.

I wouldn't worry about the NCAA. Rusty, but eager NCAA teams are hosting CIS teams who may have already played upwards of 7 games. In the AUS, the first official hockey practice can start after the first day of classes, which was Sept. 8 this year. UNB had their first exhibition game on Sept. 15, and they played the AHL's Portland Pirates this past Wednesday, Sept. 30, and they outshot the pros while losing 4-2.

As may have been mentioned, UNB has won two of the last three CIS championships and last year both Tim Whitehead and Jerry York said that UNB would be competitive in Hockey East, after their teams lost to UNB.

So in closing, there are some good CIS schools, like UNB, Alberta, Saint Mary's and Western, who are better than some near-sighted NCAA fans may want to believe. And yes, there are a whole bunch of CIS schools, predominantly in the OUA, who cannot be competitive with NCAA schools. But hey, those schools cannot beat the top teams in the AUS or Canada West either!
            Last edited by FreddyFoyle; 10-06-2009, 07:09 AM.
            "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
              Yeah, I bet Western Ontario's goalie would do awesome in D-I college hockey.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/player.ph...13221&gender=m

Oh....
              So the measure of the man is taken from his 8 games in net, as a freshman, in the vaunted WCHA?

Wow

Comment

i went to the unb vs, uvm last sunday and unb could easily be competive in any d1 conference.they beat umass-amherst and uvm on back to back days.they skated real well and could move the puck quickly.even though they were playing their seventh game the skill level on both ends of the ice were very good. it was a very good college hockey game.certainly thr best canadian college team i've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post
                  As has been mentioned, the three CIS conferences are not equal. Most national champions come out of the AUS (Atlantic University Sport) or Canada West conferences. The OUA is the biggest conference (combines Ontario and Quebec hockey schools) and the weakest. Half the teams there would be Division II if we had such a thing in the CIS.

The AUS was 3-5-2 against the NCAA this past weekend, and only two games were blowouts (although several teams were heavily outshot). I'm not even going to calculate the OUA's record, as I believe only Western and Laurier pulled off a win.

The top teams in the CIS, which again tend to be in the AUS or Canada West, recruit the majority of their rosters from Major Junior. The bulk of the OUA teams recruit from Junior A and even Junior B. Only the top-end OUA teams have a lot of former Major Junior players.

I wouldn't worry about the NCAA. Rusty, but eager NCAA teams are hosting CIS teams who may have already played upwards of 7 games. In the AUS, the first official hockey practice can start after the first day of classes, which was Sept. 8 this year. UNB had their first exhibition game on Sept. 15, and they played the AHL's Portland Pirates this past Wednesday, Sept. 30, and they outshot the pros while losing 4-2.

As may have been mentioned, UNB has won two of the last three CIS championships and last year both Tim Whitehead and Jerry York said that UNB would be competitive in Hockey East, after their teams lost to UNB.

So in closing, there are some good CIS schools, like UNB, Alberta, Saint Mary's and Western, who are better than some near-sighted NCAA fans may want to believe. And yes, there are a whole bunch of CIS schools, predominantly in the OUA, who cannot be competitive with NCAA schools. But hey, those schools cannot beat the top teams in the AUS or Canada West either!
                  Would you comment on the Wilfrid Laurier program? Is this team considered strong in the CIS?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyschmockey View Post
                    Would you comment on the Wilfrid Laurier program? Is this team considered strong in the CIS?
                    Laurier (WLU) is certainly one of the better OUA teams, which means they get lots of votes in the CIS Top 10 poll, but they are not a national contender in the CIS, yet. I haven't seen this year's version of the team, but they are well coached and have some good recruiting, so maybe they will be worth taking serious this season ...

I think Western (UWO) will be the team to beat in the OUA this season. They are/were a young team and arrived a year early at Nationals last year, upset Saint Mary's in the semi's (unbelievable third period meltdown by SMU) and played a good game against UNB in the championship game. So that experience might be enough to take them over the top this year.
                    Last edited by FreddyFoyle; 10-06-2009, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Freddy:

Thanks for the great insights on Canadian University hockey. You are providing some terrific knowledge to our board, and you're a real asset around here. Keep up the great work.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                        Freddy:

Thanks for the great insights on Canadian University hockey. You are providing some terrific knowledge to our board, and you're a real asset around here. Keep up the great work.
                        Thanks Swami!

I've been following the CIAU/CIS since the early 80's, so it is safe to say it is a bit of a passion! I lurk here regularly to learn more about NCAA hockey, so I feel it is only fair try to do my bit to keep folks up to date on the CIS, and show that in some parts of Canada, university hockey is a REAL big deal ...

Comment

Thanks Swami!

I've been following the CIAU/CIS since the early 80's, so it is safe to say it is a bit of a passion! I lurk here regularly to learn more about NCAA hockey, so I feel it is only fair try to do my bit to keep folks up to date on the CIS, and show that in some parts of Canada, university hockey is a REAL big deal ...
                          Agreed, Thanks Freddie. My BGSU Falcons played WL last weekend and I thought Wl looked like a solid team, it is nice to get your confirmation. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks Swami!

Another tip of the cap to FreddyFoyle... I read all of your posts last season on the Maine and BC threads Freddy. Well done and thank you. Keep up the good work. Your posts are always welcome... and keep up the passion.
                            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

My friend scored with a UNB groupy a couple of years ago!

Comment

Working...
                              X