Canadian University's competing against D1 Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian University's competing against D1 Programs

Either D1 hockey is slipping a tad or the level of talented canadian university teams is going up, they seem to be winning more of these games and more and more being competitive every year. anybody have any thoughts???
    The Quest For 7

Re: Canadian University's competing against D1 Programs

D-I coaches are hesitant to treat these games as anything more than skate-throughs. Staying healthy, rather than winning, seems to be the main concern. I've seen my fair share of these games get out of hand when either the D-I school plays hard and "runs up the score," or the Canadian team does not take kindly to the game being closely officiated to avoid injuries and chippy play.

To make some sort of statement about Canadian exhibitions showing D-I schools have lost a step is way off point.
    Providence College '03
    Michigan State University College of Law '07
    Fantasy College Hockey Champion: 2004, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by seanpc03 View Post
      D-I coaches are hesitant to treat these games as anything more than skate-throughs. Staying healthy, rather than winning, seems to be the main concern. I've seen my fair share of these games get out of hand when either the D-I school plays hard and "runs up the score," or the Canadian team does not take kindly to the game being closely officiated to avoid injuries and chippy play.

To make some sort of statement about Canadian exhibitions showing D-I schools have lost a step is way off point.
      noted... my point was i think there are some very good canadian univerisity programs that could compete with D1 hockey...
      The Quest For 7

Comment

It all depends on how seriously the US team decides to play it. For example, when they use these games to try out all three goalies, weird things can happen. Certainly, Denver would have walked to a much easier margins of victory in the last two years vs Canadian teams if they only played one or two goalies.

That said, these Canadian teams have been playing together a week or two longer and have more experienced players that have been through the major junior wars. They check well, and while they may not have the high end speed and skills, they can certainly play the game.

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
          noted... my point was i think there are some very good canadian univerisity programs that could compete with D1 hockey...
          They are using a lot of players who would be ineligible, due to major junior experience, in the NCAA.

Edit: See Swami's post.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
            I agree.

The best of them (UNB, Alberta, etc.) could probably compete for an NCAA berth (probably in the 12-16 PWR range) over the course of a season.

Comment

Pretty respectable weekend so far

Comment

In 08-09, Ohio St. pounded York 9-3 in an early exhibition game. Sunday the Buckeyes fail to Western Ontario 3-2 in OT. Western did make to the CIS national championship game last season, plus they had one player with an 84 DOB. They had a couple of speedy little wingers that could have stayed in Columbus.
                Last edited by tic tac toe; 10-05-2009, 01:11 PM. Reason: ..

Comment

Additionally, as far as I know, Canadian universities start their season and practices earlier than the NCAA. I know that the day Boston University and Northeastern University had their games against the canadians, it was also their first official day of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJoe View Post
                    Additionally, as far as I know, Canadian universities start their season and practices earlier than the NCAA. I know that the day Boston University and Northeastern University had their games against the canadians, it was also their first official day of practice.
                    Saturday was the official day of practice for all NCAA teams. (I have a vague recollection that the Alaska schools can start earlier. Can anyone confirm, or am I wrong?)
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Western Ontario won their first game 28 Sep.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Saturday was the official day of practice for all NCAA teams. (I have a vague recollection that the Alaska schools can start earlier. Can anyone confirm, or am I wrong?)
                        i grew up in anchorage, and from what i remember, i think it may have to do with the fact that, most years, both ak schools have longer winter breaks than most programs (month+), thus needing more practice days spread over the course of a season. unless they're playing in holiday tourneys, of course. it's probably adjusted season to season. i remember one year they started literally a week and a half after classes started - quite far back though.

Comment

Canadian University somewhat resembles the NCAA in that there are strong and weak conferences. Teams from the west and east can often compete against most D-1 programs while teams from Ontario are generally weaker and tend to lose by a large margin even against mediocre competition. Western Ontario, being the exception, as they ice a team made up of mainly ex Major Junior players.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Yeah the Alaska schools started practices on September 21st.

On topic, UAA beat SAIT 9-0 last Friday.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Am I missing something? I only see 5 wins out of all those Canadian games, and none against a team that I'd expect to do much (though I haven't been paying too close attention yet). Maybe New Brunswick is decent and lower tier CCHA (OSU and Ferris State) and HE (Mass and Vermont) teams aren't very good. Overall, it still looks like most Canadian teams get crushed by NCAA teams that have nothing to play for and are still just warming up.

5-27-2 (I'm assuming all those teams played Canadian opponents, except the US U-18 team of course ) doesn't seem like a particularly good record, though I guess it could still be a huge improvement over last year.
                              Last edited by William Blake; 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X