Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern at Colorado College 9/10 Oct

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
    true, it'd also be rare that a non-crap hockey east team would play 2 out west and not get return games. iirc nu played two at nodak a while back and got two consecutive return games. thats what we did with michigan.
    North Dakota played BC one night (and the game was fogged out) then came to Matthews the next. I remember that series well, as the NU/NoDak game was the same night as game 6 of the ALCS and the only thing we had to cheer about at Matthews was the announcement of the $14 Million Grand Slam.

Comment

• Re: Northeastern at Colorado College 9/10 Oct

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
      I couldn't agree more, Swami. These two programs are a good draw and I think a college hockey showcase at the Pepsi Center would be very well attended. For example, I'd love to have two HEA teams against our two WCHA teams.
      I guess it comes down to revenue. Right now, the Denver Cup is a two night sellout, and DU gets to keep all tourney revenue (gate, parking, concession, etc.) after they pay their expenses (staff, guarantees, travel, etc.)

The opportunity to get a crowd of 12,000 -18,000 vs 6,000 per night is compelling, but then you have the Pepsi Center rental fee (hefty) and auxillary revneues would go to Kroenke Sports, instead getting to keep it at DU, so I wonder if DU would come out ahead or not vs hosting the games on campus. If the revenue cost/benefit were even close, the publicity and coverage value of a larger crowd and venue would be worth it. Certainly, in the mid 90s when the Denver Cup was at McNichols, DU and CC drew 16K when they played each other, and DU drew 12K against schools like Maine and Yale. Both DU and CC have gone on to more success since that time, and I know with the right opponents, 16-18K would be very possible....Amazingly enough, DU basketball has played at the Pepsi Center, but DU Hockey never has....

Comment

Working...
      X