Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

I didn't catch any of this weekend's action.

I guess I'm glad I missed it. 1 point against a team you should take 2 or 3 from is well, not a good performance. youth is an excuse. talent overcomes that. The way DU got shellacked by BC makes me think that DU is not as good as the polls indicated (and I'm aware of their youth and injuries as well), and that UW should have had a better result..

ah well. onward. upward. Tech is NO EFFEN SLOUCH. I want 2 solid victories this weekend.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      First off, wives only involvement in hockey decision making should be what they wear to the games.

Rinks are fairly easy once you eliminate the pitfalls, which I did through a couple of years of trial and error.

The first year, I tried to flood the backyard. I did this on a -12 degree day and let the hose run for hours. It all soaked in.

So I got a tarp.

Here's what you do. Get lawn timbers (4x4 green treated are best) and form a frame. Rebar is good for bracing the outside of the frame.

Buy one of the heavy duty tarps that are at least two-ply. The one I would get from Menard's was $100 for a 60x40. Lay the tarp out in the frame with it overlapping the edges of the frame and fill it with water. Let it freeze and you're good to go. No need for layering like some suggest.

The key to a good ice surface is keeping up with it. You must clear it off every time it snows and right away. Even if it's less than an inch. Not sure why it happens, but snow that sits on top of ice melts and forms a crusty layer that wrecks your rink.

After the rink is skated on, it needs to be shoveled off and then watered down. Not a lot of water, just enough to get it wet and fill the cracks. If it is wetted down without shoveling first, you will get bumps and anomalies.

There you go. Now go and do it!
      Making a backyard rink is super easy. It just take a little time and some work. The book, "Home Ice" has a really nice set of instructions for making your own backyard rink.
      Im fortunuate in that I live near a lake where all I need to do is snowblow the snow off the lake all winter and I can skate anytime I want, but Ive I didnt have that, no question I would build a backyard rink every year. Having your own rink is so nice because you dont have to work around the schedule of the local rink, can just walk out your backdoor and skate instead of having to drink to the rink and dont have to deal with any of the idiots and smartass kids who hang out at the public rinks.
      A Badger living in Buckeye country.
      Originally posted by MadCityRich
      He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
      Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
      Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
      "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        I didn't catch any of this weekend's action.

I guess I'm glad I missed it. 1 point against a team you should take 2 or 3 from is well, not a good performance. youth is an excuse. talent overcomes that. The way DU got shellacked by BC makes me think that DU is not as good as the polls indicated (and I'm aware of their youth and injuries as well), and that UW should have had a better result..

ah well. onward. upward. Tech is NO EFFEN SLOUCH. I want 2 solid victories this weekend.
        I think you need to have more patience with this team. Its a really young team and its going to take them a while to gel and perform well. Remember back in '07 when they pretty much sucked??? We're pretty much back to the same thing this year. Honestly, Im expecting them to suck all season, but Im hoping that they wont and will be a good team by the 2nd half of the season.
        As for Tech, they are no slouch but Im looking foreward to being at the game on Saturday. My first mens' hockey game of the year and Halloween at the Kohl. Its going to be awesome!
        A Badger living in Buckeye country.
        Originally posted by MadCityRich
        He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
        Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
        "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

I know Tech isn't a pushover, still I think nothing less than sweep is acceptable.

Comment

I missed everything but a part of Friday's game due to a wedding, but young team or not, the amount of penalties they are taking has to stop. Guys like Craig Smith need to be leaders...not leaders in PIM. The only part of the game I heard was a wash of penalties for both teams at the end of the 2nd, start of the 3rd on friday. Posiack did make it sound like the officiating was horrible, but that is standard issue for the WCHA every night.

I agree they are young and will have some growing pains, very similar to the 2008 team (the 2007 team was short circuited by injuries to Skille, Carlson & Klubertanz early on, the experience on that team overcame youth IMO). The first WCHA road series is out of the way now, but Tech is better than the last few years, but I agree a sweep should be obtainable playing Badger hockey this weekend.
            Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
            Originally posted by UWisco
            It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Just returned from a muskie hunting adventure in Vilas County without a resource to listen to the games. From reading posts here, and the State Journal, it looks like a mixed weekend. What bothers me regarding the Friday night game, some players mentioned they weren't ready to play! (?). If you weren't ready for the WCHA debut, when will you be ready? Not being ready for games has become a common occurrence during the season. I don't get it.
              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Any reason BB wasn't in goal on Sat.?

Comment

Originally posted by RonWolf View Post
                  Any reason BB wasn't in goal on Sat.?
                  I'm not sure, but the theme of the line-up Saturday was redemption, accoring to Eaves, so I'd say he was giving the team the chance to redeem themsleves with Goody for all the times they left him high and dry Friday.

Welcome aboard Mr. Wolf.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Wisconsin threads are dead on this site lately. Can I get some chatter? Please?

Comment

I was suprised to see 1st Star is leading the team in points, and leads the WCHA in rookie and overall PP points. Those assists are racking up nicely.

I'm not a fan of the Simonelli/Springer pairing. DU made them look bad more than once last weekend.

I'm dying to get into a groove of watching more UW games so see these guys in person. The Friday DU game didn't leave a good impression, and the UAH games really didn't leave a great impression either.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        I was suprised to see 1st Star is leading the team in points, and leads the WCHA in rookie and overall PP points. Those assists are racking up nicely.

I'm not a fan of the Simonelli/Springer pairing. DU made them look bad more than once last weekend.

I'm dying to get into a groove of watching more UW games so see these guys in person. The Friday DU game didn't leave a good impression, and the UAH games really didn't leave a great impression either.
                        I think everyone kind of hoped that Zengerle would be an offensive force for us but I don't think anyone expected him to come in an lead the team in points through 6 games. Being a 21 year old his adjustment to college hockey certainly is a lot smoother than most freshmen. Wish I could find my prediction for his points this season, only so I can laugh at it later when he shatters it.

Comment

Chatter.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                            I think everyone kind of hoped that Zengerle would be an offensive force for us but I don't think anyone expected him to come in an lead the team in points through 6 games. Being a 21 year old his adjustment to college hockey certainly is a lot smoother than most freshmen. Wish I could find my prediction for his points this season, only so I can laugh at it later when he shatters it.
                            I think I had predicted 35-40 pts. 8 of his points are on the pp. I really want to see some even strength production out of him.

Comment

Is Barnes going back up to the 2nd line or did Mersch have a good weekend and staying put?

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                                Is Barnes going back up to the 2nd line or did Mersch have a good weekend and staying put?
                                Here's what Eaves said about that topic in his presser. I guess we'll see what the lineups were this week in practice.

You know, Michael Mersch, I can hardly wait for him. I wish he could mature faster, because there's nice things that are going on there. I thought that Tyler Barnes Saturday night played at a level that he has to continue to play at all the time in order for him to be successful. He created scoring chances, he hounded down the puck, he was physical when he needed to. So it's just, you know, it's a process. It's really a growth process and having these guys understand what level they need to play at.
                                Last edited by VarsityWisconsin; 10-28-2010, 03:11 PM.
                                Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X