Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

Originally posted by badgerhawk View Post
    2x4+head=convincing.
    Wife's quote " I have a large frying pan that will cause just as much damage as a 2x4... and its closer"

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      First off, wives only involvement in hockey decision making should be what they wear to the games.

Rinks are fairly easy once you eliminate the pitfalls, which I did through a couple of years of trial and error.

The first year, I tried to flood the backyard. I did this on a -12 degree day and let the hose run for hours. It all soaked in.

So I got a tarp.

Here's what you do. Get lawn timbers (4x4 green treated are best) and form a frame. Rebar is good for bracing the outside of the frame.

Buy one of the heavy duty tarps that are at least two-ply. The one I would get from Menard's was $100 for a 60x40. Lay the tarp out in the frame with it overlapping the edges of the frame and fill it with water. Let it freeze and you're good to go. No need for layering like some suggest.

The key to a good ice surface is keeping up with it. You must clear it off every time it snows and right away. Even if it's less than an inch. Not sure why it happens, but snow that sits on top of ice melts and forms a crusty layer that wrecks your rink.

After the rink is skated on, it needs to be shoveled off and then watered down. Not a lot of water, just enough to get it wet and fill the cracks. If it is wetted down without shoveling first, you will get bumps and anomalies.

There you go. Now go and do it!
      Thats what I was thinking about doing

PS. she did not like the whole picking out clothes is all she is good for thing

Comment

First off, wives only involvement in hockey decision making should be what they wear to the games.

Rinks are fairly easy once you eliminate the pitfalls, which I did through a couple of years of trial and error.

The first year, I tried to flood the backyard. I did this on a -12 degree day and let the hose run for hours. It all soaked in.

So I got a tarp.

Buy one of the heavy duty tarps that are at least two-ply. The one I would get from Menard's was $100 for a 60x40. Lay the tarp out in the frame with it overlapping the edges of the frame and fill it with water. Let it freeze and you're good to go. No need for layering like some suggest.
        Now go and do it!
        Instead of a tarp, I bought a roll of the white shrink wrap marinas use to cover boats and used that. White is better for heat gain reasons, or lack there of. The rolls are very wide, but I had 1 seam down the middle the long way. I bought this special tape that goes with the shrink material. We had a rink for 2 or 3 years. Then we built a new house and the yard isn't flat enough to make a rink.

Red,

I'll give you the white wrap and the tape, it's just collecting dust in the garage. I'd really love to give it to someone who appreciates hockey as much as I do. Let me know.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Instead of a tarp, I bought a roll of the white shrink wrap marinas use to cover boats and used that. White is better for heat gain reasons, or lack there of. The rolls are very wide, but I had 1 seam down the middle the long way. I bought this special tape that goes with the shrink material. We had a rink for 2 or 3 years. Then we built a new house and the yard isn't flat enough to make a rink.

Red,

I'll give you the white wrap and the tape, it's just collecting dust in the garage. I'd really love to give it to someone who appreciates hockey as much as I do. Let me know.
          The tarp I used was silver on the up side for the reason you cited.

Nice of you to pass along your rink.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Till I'm Dead! View Post
            Thats what I was thinking about doing

PS. she did not like the whole picking out clothes is all she is good for thing
            Rarely do they like to hear the truth, but sometimes it's for their own good.

Comment

Originally posted by gurtholfin View Post
              the first year, i tried to flood the backyard. I did this on a -12 degree day and let the hose run for hours. It all soaked in.

Has anyone here ever tried the synthetic ice? Now that I am moving down south, I still want an outdoor rink. But I don't want to spend a bunch of money on some synthetic ice sheets if they suck.
              I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Rarely do they like to hear the truth, but sometimes it's for their own good.

Thats just funny

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Red,

I would love it. Thanks Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    You're not big on reading comprehension are you varsity?
                    Huh? You both have the same 4 lines listed, right?

EDIT: Ah I get it now. You cited Baggot in your post. (2x4 bangs me in the head)
                    Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post

Has anyone here ever tried the synthetic ice? Now that I am moving down south, I still want an outdoor rink. But I don't want to spend a bunch of money on some synthetic ice sheets if they suck.
                      Will you be taking your newfound love and admiration for Wisconsin Hockey with you?

C'mon, you'll miss us...

Comment

Will you be taking your newfound love and admiration for Wisconsin Hockey with you?

C'mon, you'll miss us...

I'll miss the state of Wisconsin, it definitely has some nice perks. And I'll miss being able to watch college hockey in town...I've never lived in a town that doesn't have a college hockey team.

I won't miss the stinkin' Badgers though!!
                        I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Wife's quote " I have a large frying pan that will cause just as much damage as a 2x4... and its closer"
                          Well, if you can't beat her

=VarsityWisconsin;4900796]Huh? You both have the same 4 lines listed, right?

EDIT: Ah I get it now. You cited Baggot in your post. (2x4 bangs me in the head)
                          beat him, nice shot Red

P.S. Get a 2x4 that has a longer reach than the frying pan
                          Last edited by badgerhawk; 10-22-2010, 04:54 PM.
                          If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

I would love it. Thanks Tim
                            You're welcome. Send me an email and I'll give my address to arrange the pick up (timnjillw@charter.net). I also have some hockey gear in the basement I could give you as well. I think the age range the stuff would work for would be 8-12 yr olds.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Don't you guys have local outdoor rinks? I always thought the idea of a back yard rink was cool but boarded outdoor hockey rinks are much nicer.

Comment

There you go. Now go and do it!
                                Always remember that the water temp from the ground is around 50 degrees. Always a fun lesson to learn.

If you don't use a tarp, you can mist the grass. Tarp does save on killing the grass. Ice on grass kills it.

Comment

Working...
                                X