Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

    Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    kind of an alumni questrion here..... Whatever happened to Dave Tanabe? Injuries? I'm surprised he's not still playing.
    I am almost 100% sure his career was cut short because of concussions.

    Comment


    • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

      Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
      I am almost 100% sure his career was cut short because of concussions.
      thanks. that's too bad. I thought he would turn into a real solid d-man like a Suter...hopefully he invested wisely
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!


      "but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

      "I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

      Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

      Comment


      • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

        Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        1. Coach Eaves - really this team is right on track for 20 wins after losing the NCAA title game and subsequently losing 11 players to graduation or NHL-defections (an addition player in Thurber as well), and that to me was unfathomable at the start of the season. This is just a flat-out kick-*** coaching job by Coach Eaves and also his new assistants (kudos to Coachs' Butters and Schuchuk)

        back to Coach Eaves. I've felt this way for a long time now; there's no coach in college hockey (or Juniors) I'd rather have at UW than Mr. Eaves. he just can flat out get the most out of his team and his teaching (however stern it may be at times) puts kids in a position to grow and learn the game and get better each season. no wonder the NHL guru's were happy to see Brendan Smith chose Wisconsin when he commited, etc., etc.
        It's amazing they are having the type of year they are having, with all the new faces and coaches. The D seem to have lost nothing going from Oz to Butters. Looks how well the Fr. D are playing - that's all Butters. To me the jury is still out on Schuey. The 5 on 5 O isn't eye-popping, but there are a ton of new faces in new roles. My biggest concern is recruiting longterm with Schuey vs Oz. Unfortunately, Oz has snagged a couple guys that would not have gone to OSU if he wasn't there, and may have come to UW instead.

        Above all, Goody is everything UW needs him to be if they were going to succeed this year, winning tight games. And with that kudos to Jeff Sanger.

        So 10 games to go....I think 6-4 is realistic.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

        Comment


        • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

          Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          It's amazing they are having the type of year they are having, with all the new faces and coaches. The D seem to have lost nothing going from Oz to Butters. Looks how well the Fr. D are playing - that's all Butters. To me the jury is still out on Schuey. The 5 on 5 O isn't eye-popping, but there are a ton of new faces in new roles. My biggest concern is recruiting longterm with Schuey vs Oz. Unfortunately, Oz has snagged a couple guys that would not have gone to OSU if he wasn't there, and may have come to UW instead.

          Above all, Goody is everything UW needs him to be if they were going to succeed this year, winning tight games. And with that kudos to Jeff Sanger.

          So 10 games to go....I think 6-4 is realistic.
          Couldn't agree more. This team has far outpaced my expectations. I was expecting lots of frustration following a young team this year, but they've grown up pretty quickly.

          I also have a bit of fear about the recruiting, but this team playing as well as it is, with as many freshman as it has may just put that to rest. There could be a little lull as a result of Oz's early recruiting success this year, but I don't think it'll last too long.

          Sanger's stock is definitely rising this year, but the true test for him comes next season. He'll have a walk on & a true freshman to work with (unless Coach Eaves was just trying to put his competition off the scent with his comments earlier this year), and from the looks of it, a lot of talent up front that could become disgruntled if the goaltending is sub par. Here's hoping that Rumpel & Mitch can pick up where Goody leaves off.

          I think you're a little too pessimistic about the remaining games. I see a sweep at Tech, and I'm hopeful that we can do better than 4 splits at UNO, home vs. Rodents, at St. Cloud St. and home vs. CC. I'm hopeful we'll go 8-2 with the other two sweeps at home, but I'll predict 7-3.

          I'm really enjoying this season, but I must admit that my mind keeps drifting to the question of this summer's early defections to the pros. Has anybody heard any chatter yet? It seems to me that we have 3 defensemen at risk in Schultz, Gardiner & Ramage, and at least 2 forwards in Smith & Murray, and it's not impossible we could lose a talented frosh like Zengerle. Do we have the recruits in the pipeline to replace these guys if they go? Am I just gun shy because of last season?

          Thanks be to Bucky for another great weekend. Let's keep it rolling!

          Comment


          • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

            Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
            It must be nice to be complaining about a win being "blah."
            My thoughts exactly. Granted, it wasnt a dominating win but I'll take any win that we can get.
            A Badger living in Buckeye country.
            Originally posted by MadCityRich
            He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
            Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
            Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
            "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

            Comment


            • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

              Originally posted by dvgmacdonald View Post
              Couldn't agree more. This team has far outpaced my expectations. I was expecting lots of frustration following a young team this year, but they've grown up pretty quickly.

              I also have a bit of fear about the recruiting, but this team playing as well as it is, with as many freshman as it has may just put that to rest. There could be a little lull as a result of Oz's early recruiting success this year, but I don't think it'll last too long.

              Sanger's stock is definitely rising this year, but the true test for him comes next season. He'll have a walk on & a true freshman to work with (unless Coach Eaves was just trying to put his competition off the scent with his comments earlier this year), and from the looks of it, a lot of talent up front that could become disgruntled if the goaltending is sub par. Here's hoping that Rumpel & Mitch can pick up where Goody leaves off.

              I think you're a little too pessimistic about the remaining games. I see a sweep at Tech, and I'm hopeful that we can do better than 4 splits at UNO, home vs. Rodents, at St. Cloud St. and home vs. CC. I'm hopeful we'll go 8-2 with the other two sweeps at home, but I'll predict 7-3.

              I'm really enjoying this season, but I must admit that my mind keeps drifting to the question of this summer's early defections to the pros. Has anybody heard any chatter yet? It seems to me that we have 3 defensemen at risk in Schultz, Gardiner & Ramage, and at least 2 forwards in Smith & Murray, and it's not impossible we could lose a talented frosh like Zengerle. Do we have the recruits in the pipeline to replace these guys if they go? Am I just gun shy because of last season?

              Thanks be to Bucky for another great weekend. Let's keep it rolling!
              Ramange and Zengerle are virtual locks to come back we don't have to worry about that. Unfortunately I think Schultz and Gardiner are both gone even though both could use that extra year. Anaheim sent Scott Neidermayer, yes that Scott Neidermayer to watch Ducks draft picks Schultz and Gardiner last weekend.

              Normally I would say that Smith is probably gone but we've got three huge factors going for us. 1, he's a Madison boy. 2, Nashville doesn't rush their draft picks, they let blake stay all four years. 3, All he has to do is look at what Blake did as a Nashville draft pick by staying and winning the Hobey.

              Murray is probably gone. He was reportedly close to going over seas last year. He's good buddies with Stepan and Gards and with both of them most likely gone (obvs Steps is already gone) I think Jordy goes too.

              Comment


              • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

                Originally posted by dvgmacdonald View Post
                I think you're a little too pessimistic about the remaining games. I see a sweep at Tech, and I'm hopeful that we can do better than 4 splits at UNO, home vs. Rodents, at St. Cloud St. and home vs. CC. I'm hopeful we'll go 8-2 with the other two sweeps at home, but I'll predict 7-3.

                Let's keep it rolling!
                I know 6-4 is pessimistic, here's what is inside my head: CC may need to win to get in at the end, so they might have the better motive in those games. St. Cl may start to heat up finally, UNO did just split w/the sue, and the rodents are better w/Patterson vs Kangass. UW's 5 on 5 play offensively has been less than average; they've been living on the pp all year. I'd much rather have you right vs me. Sometimes it's good to be wrong.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                Comment


                • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

                  Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  I know 6-4 is pessimistic, here's what is inside my head: CC may need to win to get in at the end, so they might have the better motive in those games. St. Cl may start to heat up finally, UNO did just split w/the sue, and the rodents are better w/Patterson vs Kangass. UW's 5 on 5 play offensively has been less than average; they've been living on the pp all year. I'd much rather have you right vs me. Sometimes it's good to be wrong.
                  I don't think 6-4 down the stretch is pessemistic at all. Yeah we've been winning but we haven't been playing the Soviets of the 70's lately. We have some hungry teams to face coming up and it's not going to be a cake walk by any means. I'll say 5-3-2.

                  As for the 5 on 5 scoring...I think of it like the Packers running game. Yeah it would be nice if we could get it going, but we can still win a lot of ***** games the way we're getting scoring now. If our PP wasn't so good I'd be more concerned.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

                    Ryan Mcdonagh has been logging huge minutes for the Rangers lately. I don't think he will be leaving the Rangers anytime soon. Glad to see another Badger making the jump to the big show.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

                      Anyone headed to Houghton for the games this weekend? Just wondering if there was going to be a "Badger Friendly" bar.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

                        Originally posted by Crainer View Post
                        Anyone headed to Houghton for the games this weekend? Just wondering if there was going to be a "Badger Friendly" bar.
                        If by "Badger Friendly," you mean Great Beer on tap, go to the Keewenaw Brewing Company or the "KBC."

                        Very good micro-brewery/bar. Can't guarantee that the locals will be friendly though...

                        Comment


                        • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

                          http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...012511aac.html
                          Veteran goaltender Scott Gudmandson of the University of Wisconsin, who stopped 71 of 74 shots on goal for a .959 saves percentage and surrendered just two even-strength goals while helping the Badgers to a two-game conference sweep over visiting Minnesota State, has been named the Red BaronĀ® WCHA Defensive Player of the Week for Jan. 25, 2011.

                          A 5-10, 185-pound senior from Sherwood Park, Alberta, set a career high last Friday (Jan. 21) for saves in a win with 37, including 16 in the third period, as Wisconsin prevailed 3-2 over the Mavericks at the Kohl Center. One of the two goals he surrendered came on a first period power-play as the Badgers were outshot 39-30 for the game. Then in last Saturday’s (Jan. 22) 2-1 UW victory, Gudmandson stopped 34 of 35 Maverick shots, again stopping 16 of 17 shots in the third period. The Badgers were outshot 35-29 for the game and 17-4 in the third period. In addition, Gudmandson also helped Wisconsin hold MSU to one power-play goal in nine opportunities for the weekend.

                          Through 21 games and 1223:55 minutes played this season, Gudmandson leads all WCHA goaltenders with a 1.76 goals-against average and .935 save percentage in all games, ranking second and fourth in the nation, respectively. In league games, his 1.94 GAA is second while his .933 save percentage is first. He also boasts four shutouts on the year.
                          A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                          Originally posted by MadCityRich
                          He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                          Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                          Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                          "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

                          Comment


                          • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

                            Goody getting DPOW is much deserved. He is quietly having one of the best seasons in UW history. A .933 save % in WCHA games is amazing.
                            Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

                            Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                            Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                            Originally posted by UWisco
                            It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

                              If you take into account games played (throwing out the Princeton goalie who's played 7 games), he's basically 1st in GAA and tied for 1st in save %, plus tied for the lead in shutouts.

                              If they keep it up, UW will surely have 2 in the Hobey top 10 once again, with Goody and Schultz. Neither will win it, but that would be pretty cool having 2 finalists 2 years in a row (and neither a repeat).

                              Comment


                              • Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2010-2011, The next generation.

                                Looks like the non-conference games are set for next year. All 6 games will be at home with the opening weekend against Northern Michigan. Thanksgiving weekend against Mercyhurst and after the new year against RIT. No road series in Alaska next year so will be only these 6 games.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X