No announcement yet.

Rules question: Too many men on ice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rules question: Too many men on ice.

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
    wrong, the official can not drop the puck with a team having more than the allowed number of players on the ice. If they do it is their mistake and you cannot give a too many players on the ice penalty for an officials error. If you read the rule closely enough it says an official shall not drop the puck with extra players on the ice. It is the coaches responsibility to put the proper number of players on the ice but an official can not start play by dropping the puck with extra players on the ice.
    show me.
    I showed you where it said AFTER "the officials shall not drop the puck" that "the ultimate responsibility lies with the team"
    If one thing comes after another, it is to clarify.

again, this is not a USA, NIHOA, or inhouse/league rulebook, this is NCAA rules
    Last edited by KnowItAll; 10-12-2010, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
      show me.
      I showed you where it said AFTER "the officials shall not drop the puck" that "the ultimate responsibility lies with the team"
      If one thing comes after another, it is to clarify.

again, this is not a USA, NIHOA, or inhouse/league rulebook, this is NCAA rules
      NCAA seminars. And you posted the rule. Under section K it says the official cannot drop the puck with more than the allowed players. Your taking the "but it ultimately lies with the team to put the right amount of players on the ice" out of context. It is the teams responsibility but if they have more than they are allowed its the officials responsibility to resolve it. However if they should have 5 and only have 4 on the ice that is not the officials responsibility.

Originally posted by Alton View Post
      We do not disagree; your thought was the same as mine, but I took it one step further--what if the refs miscount and drop the puck anyway?

Of course, it's possible that they will make a mistake and drop the puck anyway, at which point they could whistle the penalty, but as you say the rule makes it clear that the officials are not to drop the puck if they detect either team has extra players on the ice.
      If they miscount and drop the puck it is an officials mistake and a penalty cannot be called due to an officials error.

Thats a pretty basic rule, I think people try to read to deep into things sometimes. Don't read too much into the wording of the rule, it defines it clearly. No need to twist it around to mean anything different. The team is responsible ultimately for the correct number of players on the ice, but the officials responsible is to have the right number of players or less.

Although im glad you brought this up, because im sure other people have thought that and we can explain it properly.
      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
        A referee can, will, and should drop the puck if you do not have ENOUGH players on the ice after waiting a reasonable amount of time. I've seen it done.
        That's actually not the case.

Rule 2-5-G and H:

f. Both teams must start play with the proper number of players.
        PENALTY—First offense: warning.
        Second and subsequent offenses: Bench minor.

g. Should a team start with fewer players than allowed and the officials err
        in detecting this situation, any subsequently entering players shall not be
        eligible to play the puck coming from the player’s defensive zone until
        that player has returned to the defensive zone or until possession and
        control of the puck have been gained by another player in the neutral
        zone or in the player’s attacking zone.
        FACEOFF— Where puck was last legally played. Immediate whistle if played by the ineligible player.
        Originally posted by dicaslover
        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
          That's actually not the case.

Rule 2-5-G and H:

f. Both teams must start play with the proper number of players.
          PENALTY—First offense: warning.
          Second and subsequent offenses: Bench minor.

g. Should a team start with fewer players than allowed and the officials err
          in detecting this situation, any subsequently entering players shall not be
          eligible to play the puck coming from the player’s defensive zone until
          that player has returned to the defensive zone or until possession and
          control of the puck have been gained by another player in the neutral
          zone or in the player’s attacking zone.
          FACEOFF— Where puck was last legally played. Immediate whistle if played by the ineligible player.
          But it can happen. Irish is more or less thinking about USA hockey situations, I would assume as it happens more often there. But in NCAA it is not a penalty to play with less players than your allowed. The rule you are quoting is there to prevent teams doing it on purpose and then floating a guy at the blueline. However it is the teams responsibility to have the proper number of players on the ice, the officials responsibility is to make sure they don't have more than the allowed number on the ice. A team cannot be penalized for an officials error, can't stress that enough. These situations being discussed would all be considered officials errors. A warning would be issued after the situation occurs but the penalty that would be called in this situation would be a delay of game if the problem persists.
          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Working...
          X