This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

Theoretical target Brennan Serville is listed as a B player.

Comment

I was debating if I should post this, but I might as well. This link http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2010/10/d...l-in-ushl.html contains a video from a Dubuque game that concentrates on a couple of fights. It looks like they waited until BRO (5 in dark) was in the penalty box to start fighting as he stands there watching. There are some other shots of him on D.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        I was debating if I should post this, but I might as well. This link http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2010/10/d...l-in-ushl.html contains a video from a Dubuque game that concentrates on a couple of fights. It looks like they waited until BRO (5 in dark) was in the penalty box to start fighting as he stands there watching. There are some other shots of him on D.
        Think about it Ralph-If you were the opponent-would you start a fight with Luke on the ice waiting to pound you? Sometimes you can't avoid it but I think there are a lot of fellows who have second thoughts when they see that Big Red One!
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          Think about it Ralph-If you were the opponent-would you start a fight with Luke on the ice waiting to pound you? Sometimes you can't avoid it but I think there are a lot of fellows who have second thoughts when they see that Big Red One!
          That's exactly what I meant. BTW, it isn't clear to me what BRO did to get the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, unless it was cursing.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

uhhhh..... how many players in the BCHL tried to instigate a fight with the B.R.O.?

Comment

The hubster and I will be at the DBQ home opener this weekend and I'll report as best I can.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                uhhhh..... how many players in the BCHL tried to instigate a fight with the B.R.O.?
                Believe it or not, quite a few...initially. Then things calmed down...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  I would guess some might try that tactic-once. Even hockey players learn after one time of being hit not to do it a second time.

Comment

I would guess some might try that tactic-once. Even hockey players learn after one time of being hit not to do it a second time.
                    Its that wild west philosophy. Everyone wants to take a shot at the fastest gun. These guys want to take a shot at the biggest guy. Result usually ends bad for the challenger.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

Exactly- I know if some 6'6" 260 pound guy hit me-I wouldb e smart enough to stay away and not get hit again. I may have a bad temper-but I also have some common sense.

Comment

Or if you noticed, after the first Governor's Cup Kennedy played in, that during the regular season matchups against Colgate, the Raider skaters were noticably a few extra feet away from JFK...

Comment

Exactly- I know if some 6'6" 260 pound guy hit me-I wouldb e smart enough to stay away and not get hit again. I may have a bad temper-but I also have some common sense.
                          I don't know if I would retain enough brain power after being hit be someone that size to maintain body functions, let alone common sense.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            I don't know if I would retain enough brain power after being hit be someone that size to maintain body functions, let alone common sense.
                            Out of the 25 kids on a USHL roster, the top 3 lines+ have zero interest in fighting and could care less about that. Maybe, 1 kid on a team.

Its a skilled league of kids looking to score and put up points. Similar to the BCHL at the end of the year in the playoffs, they just skated and had success.

I would be more concerned with why someone is getting stupid penalties that will not be tollerated in NCAA almost every game. These show a player is a step behind and needs to resort to that. Contrary to what you may think, they are not a positive to a team and if done at RPI, the team will get disected.

First one was a 7 game suspension and a major, which would be a 5 minute penalty and would kill a team.

Cross check in 2nd usa game
                            hit from behind and a slashing penalty in 1st usa game. USA scored on pp to ice game. Was late in 3rd and only up 3-2 at the time.
                            vs waterloo, their most recent game. 2 penalties.
                            first one was a slashing
                            2nd one was a check from behind which they scored on to tie the game

this many "like kind " penalties after 3 or 4 games. They accomplish nothing.

here ae Cronins comments on that type of play and penalties from hockey east.

trust me when i tell you not one player at D 1 level is scared of that stuff and it does not create an inch of space or a second of time. They love it and will do anything to get the PP

The fact that Northeastern earned a tie was nearly miraculous. The Huskies were whistled for 48 minutes in penalties which included not one, but two five-minute checking for behind majors that sent Zak Stone and Randy Guzior to the locker room early with game misconduct penalties. Add to that the fact that the Huskies gave RPI three looks with a 5-on-3 and it�s a miracle that the Engineers managed just two goals.

When asked what can be done to teach players the pitfalls of taking bad penalties, Cronin just shook his head.

�I [kept thinking] when I was on the bench, �How do you [take penalties] when you know you�re going to be sitting in the penalty box and that your teammates are going to be shorthanded,�� said Cronin. �The guys that really should be ****ed off are the guys out there on the 5-on-3s blocking shots. They did a great job. I�d be ****ed if I were them.

�So to answer the question, I don�t know.�

Cronin says he can�t really even bench guys for bad penalties as his team�s roster is already thin with the injury bug.

�We�re down to the last of the Mohicans so to speak,� Cronin said. �I hope that what happens is that these guys will get upset in the room.

�Any team that has a sense of responsibility to themselves, that has a sensitivity to their teammates, they don�t [take bad penalties]. Some of the penalties are penalties. That�s why they have referees because you�re going to have penalties. But when you�re going to whack a guy on the faceoff and give a team a 5-on-3 for 1:52, I don�t know. It�s just not good.�

Here is what Maine's Whitehead said...
                            For Maine, Friday�s loss was definitely amplified by the number of penalties Tim Whitehead�s team took. A night after taking 11 minor penalties and letting a 4�2 lead slip through their fingers on Thursday, settling for a 4�4 tie, the Black Bears continued its troublesome ways handing the Spartans seven power play opportunities. Maine killed all seven penalties, including a full two-minute 5-on-3 when Will O�Neill and Jeff Dimmen were both sent off for roughing after the whistle. Though happy with his penalty killers, Whitehead was none too happy with the team�s discipline.

�We had a great third period but you can�t win a game by playing one period against a really good team in their rink,� said Whitehead referring to a rally from a two-goal deficit that knotted the game at two with 8:40 remaining. �The penalties we took cost us. I waited too long to bench [O�Neill] and some of the other guys, but when I did, I thought the boys played well. It was too little too late.�

Whitehead said he felt since the opening game of the season, an 8�2 win over Massachusetts-Lowell at home, his team has looked a little too comfortable. That led to two ties and then Friday�s loss. And more importantly, a reckless abandoning of the necessary discipline on the ice.

�[Lack of discipline] cost us,� said Whitehead. �I don�t know how many ways to say it. It�s a great wake up call for us. We know we�re not going to win if we get in the penalty box.�

These type of penalties accomplish nothing and do not help the team 1%

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                              Out of the 25 kids on a USHL roster, the top 3 lines+ have zero interest in fighting and could care less about that. Maybe, 1 kid on a team.

Its a skilled league of kids looking to score and put up points. Similar to the BCHL at the end of the year in the playoffs, they just skated and had success.

I would be more concerned with why someone is getting stupid penalties that will not be tollerated in NCAA almost every game. These show a player is a step behind and needs to resort to that. Contrary to what you may think, they are not a positive to a team and if done at RPI, the team will get disected.

First one was a 7 game suspension and a major, which would be a 5 minute penalty and would kill a team.

Cross check in 2nd usa game
                              hit from behind and a slashing penalty in 1st usa game. USA scored on pp to ice game. Was late in 3rd and only up 3-2 at the time.
                              vs waterloo, their most recent game. 2 penalties.
                              first one was a slashing
                              2nd one was a check from behind which they scored on to tie the game

this many "like kind " penalties after 3 or 4 games. They accomplish nothing.

here ae Cronins comments on that type of play and penalties from hockey east.

trust me when i tell you not one player at D 1 level is scared of that stuff and it does not create an inch of space or a second of time. They love it and will do anything to get the PP

The fact that Northeastern earned a tie was nearly miraculous. The Huskies were whistled for 48 minutes in penalties which included not one, but two five-minute checking for behind majors that sent Zak Stone and Randy Guzior to the locker room early with game misconduct penalties. Add to that the fact that the Huskies gave RPI three looks with a 5-on-3 and it�s a miracle that the Engineers managed just two goals.

When asked what can be done to teach players the pitfalls of taking bad penalties, Cronin just shook his head.

�I [kept thinking] when I was on the bench, �How do you [take penalties] when you know you�re going to be sitting in the penalty box and that your teammates are going to be shorthanded,�� said Cronin. �The guys that really should be ****ed off are the guys out there on the 5-on-3s blocking shots. They did a great job. I�d be ****ed if I were them.

�So to answer the question, I don�t know.�

Cronin says he can�t really even bench guys for bad penalties as his team�s roster is already thin with the injury bug.

�We�re down to the last of the Mohicans so to speak,� Cronin said. �I hope that what happens is that these guys will get upset in the room.

�Any team that has a sense of responsibility to themselves, that has a sensitivity to their teammates, they don�t [take bad penalties]. Some of the penalties are penalties. That�s why they have referees because you�re going to have penalties. But when you�re going to whack a guy on the faceoff and give a team a 5-on-3 for 1:52, I don�t know. It�s just not good.�

Here is what Maine's Whitehead said...
                              For Maine, Friday�s loss was definitely amplified by the number of penalties Tim Whitehead�s team took. A night after taking 11 minor penalties and letting a 4�2 lead slip through their fingers on Thursday, settling for a 4�4 tie, the Black Bears continued its troublesome ways handing the Spartans seven power play opportunities. Maine killed all seven penalties, including a full two-minute 5-on-3 when Will O�Neill and Jeff Dimmen were both sent off for roughing after the whistle. Though happy with his penalty killers, Whitehead was none too happy with the team�s discipline.

�We had a great third period but you can�t win a game by playing one period against a really good team in their rink,� said Whitehead referring to a rally from a two-goal deficit that knotted the game at two with 8:40 remaining. �The penalties we took cost us. I waited too long to bench [O�Neill] and some of the other guys, but when I did, I thought the boys played well. It was too little too late.�

Whitehead said he felt since the opening game of the season, an 8�2 win over Massachusetts-Lowell at home, his team has looked a little too comfortable. That led to two ties and then Friday�s loss. And more importantly, a reckless abandoning of the necessary discipline on the ice.

�[Lack of discipline] cost us,� said Whitehead. �I don�t know how many ways to say it. It�s a great wake up call for us. We know we�re not going to win if we get in the penalty box.�

These type of penalties accomplish nothing and do not help the team 1%
                              Did somebody say something ?
                              What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                                Theoretical target Brennan Serville is listed as a B player.
                                I know he plays with Neal, but did I miss mention here of interest from RPI?
                                Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 10-20-2010, 06:13 PM.
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X