X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    Maybe I can help. His numbers are incredible, but he has done nothing to improve his talents against better opponents. Staying in Cornwall proves nothing. It was a no win situation. Fortunately, his production has not fallen off. If it did, there would be no hope.
    I too look forward to seeing him in Cherry and White and hope that he can bring his numbers to the ECAC.
    But I will not get giddy until I see him against better opposition.
    I agree that there were more challenging options available than Cornwall.

HOWEVER, let's look at a couple numbers to put the alleged drop in production in context ... his team has gone from being a "good" upper-tier team in his league to an absolutely dominant team and he has unequivocally remained (by far) the best skater on the team. Last year power play scoring resulted in 41% of his points; this year it is 30% (meanwhile, the team's power play rate is essentially the same as last year). It was reported in the offseason that JL was making a new commitment to building a two-way game. While it is difficult to gauge the effectiveness of this without +/- stats, his team's GAA has gone from 2.8 last year to 1.6 this year (goals for has gone from 3.9 to 3.7). Normally I would find it difficult to attribute any of this to one forward, BUT when you have a guy who is unequivocally the team's best player and is the team's captain, it seems to me to be fair to attribute a portion of the turnaround to him.

All this goes to say that I think JL has done a fantastic job this year of squeezing every last benefit out of staying Cornwall rather than being complacent as many of us had thought he would be and has given me renewed confidence in the things he can do in Troy as soon as he gets here.

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
      I agree that there were more challenging options available than Cornwall.

HOWEVER, let's look at a couple numbers to put the alleged drop in production in context ... his team has gone from being a "good" upper-tier team in his league to an absolutely dominant team and he has unequivocally remained (by far) the best skater on the team. Last year power play scoring resulted in 41% of his points; this year it is 30% (meanwhile, the team's power play rate is essentially the same as last year). It was reported in the offseason that JL was making a new commitment to building a two-way game. While it is difficult to gauge the effectiveness of this without +/- stats, his team's GAA has gone from 2.8 last year to 1.6 this year (goals for has gone from 3.9 to 3.7). Normally I would find it difficult to attribute any of this to one forward, BUT when you have a guy who is unequivocally the team's best player and is the team's captain, it seems to me to be fair to attribute a portion of the turnaround to him.

All this goes to say that I think JL has done a fantastic job this year of squeezing every last benefit out of staying Cornwall rather than being complacent as many of us had thought he would be and has given me renewed confidence in the things he can do in Troy as soon as he gets here.
      JL's family advisor couldn't have done a better job.
      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-03-2010, 02:31 PM.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
        I'm trying not to get all giddy about JL.....Your not helping !!!
        Last years CJHL leading scorer Damian Cross is a freshman at Providence. He has played in a total of 5 or 6 games and has 1 point on the season. I understand Hockey East is a bit tougher of a league than the ECAC but if he goes from scoring 120+ points last season to barely seeing ice time this year, I hold off any excitement and hopes for JL until I see him in Cherry and White and in the lineup night in and night out scoring. Go ahead blast away at me folks but thats just how I feel.
        Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
          Last years CJHL leading scorer Damian Cross is a freshman at Providence. He has played in a total of 5 or 6 games and has 1 point on the season. I understand Hockey East is a bit tougher of a league than the ECAC but if he goes from scoring 120+ points last season to barely seeing ice time this year, I hold off any excitement and hopes for JL until I see him in Cherry and White and in the lineup night in and night out scoring. Go ahead blast away at me folks but thats just how I feel.
          and Cross was traded for JL.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            and Cross was traded for JL.
            Cross had major knee surgery after lowell/BU weekend and was redshirted

Was one of their top new F's and was on PP
            Will be back next year

Comment

HD is right, Cross is done for the year...tough to make the score sheet with a blown out knee. Get a clue.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Also see Andrew Calof, who put up very similar numbers to JL in the same league: he is absolutely tearing it up in the ECAC for a very low-scoring Princeton team.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                  HD is right, Cross is done for the year...tough to make the score sheet with a blown out knee. Get a clue.
                  Didnt know that. Apologies for not knowing. Really no need to tell me to get a clue, a simple he is out would have worked, but you gotta be tough right?
                  Last edited by fishcore12; 12-03-2010, 06:45 PM.
                  Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Didnt know that. Apologies for not knowing. Really no need to tell me to get a clue, a simple he is out would have worked, but you gotta be tough right?
                    Apology accepted. Yes, that's what you get by ending a misinformed post by inviting folks to "blast away." Where I come from, that means you switch the safety off. I rarely miss a chance to lay the body. And yes, I can take hit.
                    Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 12-03-2010, 08:20 PM.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Yup that's what you get after a misinformed post ended by inviting folks to "blast away." Where I come from, that means you switch the safety off. I rarely miss a chance to lay the body. And yes, I can take hit.
                      Ok and in the real world you say this stuff too right? Lets try to be civil about it. Thanks for "correcting" my misinformed statement in a mature manner. Will try better next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer
                        I'll post the boxscores in the morning.
                        Without mentioning any game specifics, I noticed that the BRO is skating with new DBQ D-man Eric Johnson (UND commit), acquired from Wenatchee (NAHL). Letting the new guy learn from the Asst. Capt.

Comment

Ok and in the real world you say this stuff too right? Lets try to be civil about it. Thanks for "correcting" my misinformed statement in a mature manner. Will try better next time.
                          When you end 50 % of your posts with "feel free to blast away" its amazing to see you surprised when someone ACTUALLY DOES. Shocking.

Comment

When you end 50 % of your posts with "feel free to blast away" its amazing to see you surprised when someone ACTUALLY DOES. Shocking.
                            Do you always feel the need to put people down or does it just come naturally to you? I mean really, I said I would try better next time and was trying to move on, but you gotta have the last word I guess.

Comment

... and was trying to move on, but you gotta have the last word I guess.
                              Whatever. Next time you invite folks to drop the shoulder, I suggest you buckle your chinstrap.

Comment

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...entation_N.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X