Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

    Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Hard to say how these things play out. The kids might've liked the small town atmosphere, or Seth may not have had (or may not have been willing to offer) full rides. Maybe they didn't want to play in JL shadow, who knows.

    I must be getting old, as I don't get too low with recruit "misses". I want kids who want to be a part of the RPI family. As for the rest, I wish them the best of luck and I look forward to watching them meet Mr. Bailen and theBRO.
    I agree to some extent. On the other hand, anyone who ultimately signs with us is in expressing their (more or less) unwavering commitment, so I don't know if there is a lot of meat behind your statement. It is impossible to know how the twins' recruitment played out, and as Ralph indicates it is entirely possible (or even likely) that we did not try to convince the twins to become very interested in us. I guess my "disturbing" comment was based on the presumption that we did.

    Comment


    • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

      Originally posted by knsmith View Post
      I assume you think, then, that the "two recruits" we are alleged to to be in the final two for (by Ed Weaver) were not the twins? Do you have any guesses as to who those two may be?

      I agree with your general analysis. Nevertheless, don't we have confirmation that we expressed some interest? I may be seeing references to Appert showing up outside the Cornwall locker room, which based on what we now know may have been part of the (at least the time) ongoing JL saga.
      I don't think that Weaver was referring to the twins. I have ideas, but they are names that haven't been posted here to the best of my recollection.

      SA could have been more interested in the twins then they were in us for anyone of a number of reasons, including they didn't get along well with JL or Leboeuf.

      SA was probably mainly in Cornwall for JL. That's just my guess.
      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-28-2010, 11:38 PM.
      sigpic

      Let's Go 'Tute!

      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

      2012 Poser Of The Year

      Comment


      • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

        Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        I suspect that we didn't seriously recruit them, or they weren't seriously interested in RPI. They would have been spotted if they had visited the HFH. Twins would be noticed.
        Bingo. No one spotted them at HFH and any speculation on them coming to RPI was based around chatter here. There's bigger fish out there that Seth is after. Much bigger.
        R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

        Comment


        • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

          Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
          Bingo. No one spotted them at HFH and any speculation on them coming to RPI was based around chatter here. There's bigger fish out there that Seth is after. Much bigger.
          Exactly-plus they would have had to come as a package deal and perhaps SA did not want to use up that much scholarship money on the pair. Regardless, they are going somewhere else and we can now root against them when they come to Troy.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

          Comment


          • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

            I forgot to mention this after the tournament - does Justin Smith have a younger brother who looks just like him? Just prior to the 2nd intermission, the players not dressed walked by us on their way to the tunnel. Included with them was a kid in jeans who looked just like a younger Justin from about 25 feet away. Possible recruit, or maybe just family in town?
            Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

            Comment


            • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

              Update from USNTDP stats page http://www.usahockey.com/USANTDP/def...F_03&ID=233672. Ryan Haggerty lost one of his two goals, or maybe I made a mistake.

              Code:
              2011
              Jacob Laliberté      C Cornwall Colts (CHL)           29-24-27- 51- 10 12/01/10
              Matt Neal            C Stouffville Spirit (OJHL)      27-20-22- 42-  6 12/04/10
              Mark McGowan        LW Oakville Blades (OJHL)         28-13-12- 25- 28 12/03/10
              Luke Curadi         LD Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL) 16- 1- 8-  9- 48 12/03/10
              Ryan Haggerty       RC USNTDP U-18                    23- 1- 5-  6- 13 12/03/10
              
              2011 or 2012
              Mark Miller          F Omaha Lancers (USHL)           17- 4- 2-  6-  0 12/03/10
              Chris Bradley       LD Youngstown Phantoms (USHL)     19- 1- 1-  2-  0 12/04/10
              
              2012
              Mike Zalewski       LW Vernon Vipers (BCHL)           30- 8-10- 18- 18 12/03/10
              
              
              Women
              Brianna Piper        G Toronto Aeros (PWHL)        8- 5- 2-1-1.56-.908 12/02/10 only league games
              Eleeza Cox           F Ridley College Tigers           7-11- 2- 13-  ? 12/01/10 a lot of missing information
                                     Toronto Aeros (PWHL)            3- 1- 6-  7-  2 12/02/10 only league games
              Kathryn Schilter     D Toronto Aeros (PWHL)            9- 1- 6-  7-  2 12/02/10 only league games
              sigpic

              Let's Go 'Tute!

              Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

              2012 Poser Of The Year

              Comment


              • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

                Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                ...any speculation on them coming to RPI was based around chatter here...
                Actually, IIRC the S-F reported (or was it RH?) that Appert was seen talking to them after an early season game this fall. I doubt he was talking to them about finding a good place to eat. So while we did talk up the twins here, Seth was communicating with them to some extent, as I expect most of the ECAC teams were.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

                Comment


                • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

                  Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                  I agree to some extent. On the other hand, anyone who ultimately signs with us is in expressing their (more or less) unwavering commitment, so I don't know if there is a lot of meat behind your statement. ...
                  As I said previously, I welcome the kids who choose the RPI family. To the non-believers, I bid them adieu.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

                  Comment


                  • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

                    Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    Actually, IIRC the S-F reported (or was it RH?) that Appert was seen talking to them after an early season game this fall. I doubt he was talking to them about finding a good place to eat. So while we did talk up the twins here, Seth was communicating with them to some extent, as I expect most of the ECAC teams were.
                    http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...true&e=2763078

                    RPI Engineers head coach Seth Appert was at Thursday's opener, and he had a friendly, long chat with Colts captain Jake Laliberte, who's headed to the school in Troy, N.Y., next season. (Appert also spoke outside the Colts dressing room with the Spink twins, Tyson and Tylor.)
                    Just a parenthetical remark.
                    sigpic

                    Let's Go 'Tute!

                    Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                    2012 Poser Of The Year

                    Comment


                    • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

                      Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Maybe he was asking them where to eat...
                      Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 11-29-2010, 04:54 PM.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

                      Comment


                      • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

                        A few more pics of the BRO...

                        Pregame hand-eye drill: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...0934569&ref=nf

                        In-game fist-face drill : http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...d=367960934569
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

                        Comment


                        • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

                          Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          A few more pics of the BRO...

                          Pregame hand-eye drill: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...0934569&ref=nf

                          In-game fist-face drill : http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...d=367960934569
                          A rather intense looking young man. I do not think too many will be looking to take liberties with our boys next year.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                          Comment


                          • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

                            Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            A rather intense looking young man. I do not think too many will be looking to take liberties with our boys next year.
                            Probably only two.

                            Comment


                            • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

                              Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                              Very disturbing. It's one thing to lose recruits to better athletic programs (e.g. BC, BU, UNH) or better academic programs (e.g. Yale, Harvard), but losing to a school that is better in neither category really stings.
                              We don't know the reasons that drove this decision. As alumni, we all know that the 'Tute is not for everyone, in fact it can be the absolute wrong school for some. All fields of study are rigorous and challenging, the School of Management requires calculus, very few other institutions have similar requirements. Back in the day, as a Biology major, I took differential equations, also unusual. I sincerely believe that there are NO easy majors at the 'Tute. So perhaps the Spinks just don't like math, or they want to major in something that isn't offered (think French). So they made their choice, I'm fine with that (not that it has anything to do with me). Let's be happy with and cheer on the gentlemen who are happy to lace 'em up for RPI, I certainly am. Just my $0.02

                              Comment


                              • Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. II

                                Originally posted by TuteScrooge View Post
                                We don't know the reasons that drove this decision. As alumni, we all know that the 'Tute is not for everyone, in fact it can be the absolute wrong school for some. All fields of study are rigorous and challenging, the School of Management requires calculus, very few other institutions have similar requirements. Back in the day, as a Biology major, I took differential equations, also unusual. I sincerely believe that there are NO easy majors at the 'Tute. So perhaps the Spinks just don't like math, or they want to major in something that isn't offered (think French). So they made their choice, I'm fine with that (not that it has anything to do with me). Let's be happy with and cheer on the gentlemen who are happy to lace 'em up for RPI, I certainly am. Just my $0.02
                                I agree. However, I have high ambitions for our program and that means that the only reason we should miss out on players is because we don't want them rather than the other way around. I think we are all getting at the same thing ultimately...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X