Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats '10-'11

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    Being the #9 ranked team in the nation, I was not impressed with RPI at all last night. Their play was very tentative most of the game. However, we went to sleep in the 2nd and that ended up being the difference. Battling back to tie was good but it was a game we could have easily won.

Langlois continues to be white hot with another 2 goals last night. His success of late has helped carry this team for sure. Hartzell was good but not as sharp as we've seen him. He really needs to step up and play big the rest of the way.

The rest of the team compteted hard when they weren't sleeping. I'm not sure what happened in the 2nd but they were lucky RPI wasn't playing well either. I thought we carried play in the 3rd.

Overall a good game against another ranked opponent. Bring on the Dutchmen tonight!
    I agree with you Mark.....I have seen RPI play two other games. Our SLU game in Troy and their game against Union in Lake Placid. They were a much better team in both of those games.

I think the story of the game was not only RPI's tentative play (particularly when they had the lead) but the ice surface. I don't know why but I'd be curious if someone could talk to a coach or player from the Bobcats or even an opposing team. The ice "gets snowed up" very quickly and it looked like RPI in particular was skating in cement. Players were falling down left and right. Guys leaving the ice to get skates worked on....passes were stopping and not moving quickly unless the guys put some mustard on them. There were several instances of players leaving the puck behind or the puck sticking. The pucks were also really bouncing a lot last night. It being your home rink I think the Bobcats are adjusted and passed crisper but RPI's passing at times was awful. I'm starting to wonder if visiting teams are not at a big disadvantage not being prepared for those ice conditions which seem to be the norm not the exception based on the games I have watched there this year.

I actually thought the "play of the game" and the "turning point of the game" were one and the same. The play was the check Polacek made where he absolutely laid out Yuri B (not even going to try and spell that name). The puck then turned over and Polacek and another RPI forward went in on a clean two one one that Hartzell stopped. Had RPI scored there the game likely would have ended in an RPI victory. For a guy only 5'8" and 165 pounds that was one of the most solid body checks (and clean) that I have seen all year. A great play by a skilled player.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Bobcats handle Union tonight. If you looked at the box Union was actually down I think 4-1 against Princeton last night and came back and won big. Tonight will be a big test. I'm also amazed for as well as Yale has played this year that the standings are as close as they are. Yale is only one point ahead of Union whcih is really surprising considering how well Yale has played and it shows how good Union is to be only a point behind.
    SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
      I actually thought the "play of the game" and the "turning point of the game" were one and the same.
      I agree with you Mike. It was surprising to see RPI showing next to nothing in the 3rd. They were content to ride their 1-goal lead by continually dumping the puck and then stacking 5 guys near the blue line as we attacked (they were doing a great impersonation of Cornell). Even after we tied the game they showed absolutely no urgency. Then there was their PP in OT. I was amazed at how lazy they were skating the puck around and not putting any pressure to speak of on Hartzell.

Tonight should be an interesting game. It's the first meeting since the infamous playoff series back in March. Even though I still clearly remember the game-winning goal in that marathon OT win, I think it's safe to say we owe them one. While Union has greatly improved over the past couple of seasons, we seem to be able to skate with them and play them tough. I heard on the post game last night that one thing we'll need to do tonight is stay out of the box. After seeing how shaky Hartzell was at times last night, I don't want to see any added pressure on him. The boys need to play smart, disciplined hockey and do what they do best: attack.

Union is beatable but it will take a solid effort on both ends. My homer pick is Q 4-3.

Go Q!
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
      Northeast Regional:
      West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

What a devastating loss. Dahlhuisen made a mistake and gave Union a turnover that netted the game winner. He was visibly PO'd at himself and it was heartbreaking to watch.

While we only came away with a single point this weekend I think it's important to look at the bigger picture. We hung in there with 2 highly ranked teams and could have won both games. The boys just need to keep their heads up and put in the effort on the ice each and every shift, period and game.

On to Dartmouth for a crucial game in the standings.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyguy View Post
          This kid is ligit. I watch him play at icevault and he moves real well and he is huge. He is going to be one of best goalies in the ECAC.
          Huge is an understatement. Thanks to the keen eye of wonger, Nauta was spotted at the Bank tonight and let me tell you he is BIG! If this all comes to be he is going to be an imposing force in net for the Bobcats.
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          Northeast Regional:

Comment

I thought QU played two good games against two better and more experienced teams this weekend. They got one point, could have had four, but that is hockey. What is starting to bother me is how negative Rand Pecknold can be to the press about his team.

Pecknold’s comments in the New Haven Register weren’t totally negative but what stood out to me were the following: “We just had some poor defensive play…Hartzell made some big saves, but he didn’t play his best hockey this weekend. It’s a good learning experience for him.” Friday night against RPI: “…We actually had five defensive letdowns in the game. We lacked some poise and maturity…”

Here is what Union player Justin Pallos said, “(Quinnipiac goalie Eric) Hartzell made it a little frustrating for us in the game.” The Union coach said, “You have to give Quinnipiac a lot of credit. It took everything we had to come back and win this game.”

Pecknold is a good coach, and he has brought this program to a level I never thought would be possible. Maybe I am a little naïve, but I think he should be less critical in the press about his team, and spin some of the more positive attributes about a young and talented team. This team could use more positive reinforcement from their coach, especially after this weekend. If he doesn’t, he could lose this group before they have a chance to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by QUBobcats70 View Post
              I thought QU played two good games against two better and more experienced teams this weekend. They got one point, could have had four, but that is hockey. What is starting to bother me is how negative Rand Pecknold can be to the press about his team.

Pecknold’s comments in the New Haven Register weren’t totally negative but what stood out to me were the following: “We just had some poor defensive play…Hartzell made some big saves, but he didn’t play his best hockey this weekend. It’s a good learning experience for him.” Friday night against RPI: “…We actually had five defensive letdowns in the game. We lacked some poise and maturity…”

Here is what Union player Justin Pallos said, “(Quinnipiac goalie Eric) Hartzell made it a little frustrating for us in the game.” The Union coach said, “You have to give Quinnipiac a lot of credit. It took everything we had to come back and win this game.”

Pecknold is a good coach, and he has brought this program to a level I never thought would be possible. Maybe I am a little naïve, but I think he should be less critical in the press about his team, and spin some of the more positive attributes about a young and talented team. This team could use more positive reinforcement from their coach, especially after this weekend. If he doesn’t, he could lose this group before they have a chance to develop.
              I have brought this same issue up in the past about the coaches negativity in the printed press, got lambasted for it as well from the Q faithful. I listened to the end of the RPI game on the radio and Coach Pecknold was interviewed after the game and was fairly effusive about the comeback and how the team stuck in there. Maybe he needs to put a little cork in it with the print press who seem to focus on negative comments anyway. Having actually heard the man speak about his team live for the first time the other night as opposed to reading his comments in the paper the next day, i was surprised not to hear a negative attitude or whiny tone about his kids. I think he is just a very demanding coach who tells it like it is.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                I have brought this same issue up in the past about the coaches negativity in the printed press, got lambasted for it as well from the Q faithful. I listened to the end of the RPI game on the radio and Coach Pecknold was interviewed after the game and was fairly effusive about the comeback and how the team stuck in there. Maybe he needs to put a little cork in it with the print press who seem to focus on negative comments anyway. Having actually heard the man speak about his team live for the first time the other night as opposed to reading his comments in the paper the next day, i was surprised not to hear a negative attitude or whiny tone about his kids. I think he is just a very demanding coach who tells it like it is.
                Assistant coach Bill Riga was the one that 1220 interviewed after the RPI game. Pecknold has stuck to pretty much only being interviewed before games. While I agree that Rand doesn't spark the confidence in his boys in the press, it was Riga who was interviewed after the game and you have to figure he is pretty censored in what he says.

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
                  Assistant coach Bill Riga was the one that 1220 interviewed after the RPI game. Pecknold has stuck to pretty much only being interviewed before games. While I agree that Rand doesn't spark the confidence in his boys in the press, it was Riga who was interviewed after the game and you have to figure he is pretty censored in what he says.
                  Sorry about that. I heard the announcer call him coach and just assumed it was Rand. Riga did mention a few general mistakes , but not once singled out any player individually. That has been my beef in the past, I prefer a statement where the team is blamed, win as a team and lose as a team, the players know when they don't play well, and if they don't, let them have it in the locker room or on the bench. As a person who has experience with talking to the press as the head of an organization, it is always in the back of my mind about how I can possibly be misquoted or have my words spun. When I was appointed to my present position and interviewed, my words to the reporter were "I never dreamed I would be in this position", the quote in the "New Haven Register" the next day was " It's always been my dream to be in this position". You never know when they will make you look bad, especially with the cub reporters they have running around The Register these days, I would except Chip Malafronte from that statement though.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post

As far as I'm concerned, that's how a coach should be. Demanding. If you make a mistake, you're going to hear about it. I see no problem with that style. If you don't want to play for a coach who will tell you (and the public) when you mess up, then you're probably not going to make it to the next level. If the player isn't honest with himself, then he's doomed to fail. Rand is just reinforcing that.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                      [/B]

As far as I'm concerned, that's how a coach should be. Demanding. If you make a mistake, you're going to hear about it. I see no problem with that style. If you don't want to play for a coach who will tell you (and the public) when you mess up, then you're probably not going to make it to the next level. If the player isn't honest with himself, then he's doomed to fail. Rand is just reinforcing that.
                      True, a coach should be demanding. However, why not keep it within the confines of the team once you get to practices, instead of embarrassing the kid in the press? I know there are some coaches that do this (Jack Parker comes to mind, heck I remember when RPI's coach once called one of the players soft as puppy poop), but I would think the best message to the press would be that the team has some things to work on, and then all the specifics are addressed in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        True, a coach should be demanding. However, why not keep it within the confines of the team once you get to practices, instead of embarrassing the kid in the press? I know there are some coaches that do this (Jack Parker comes to mind, heck I remember when RPI's coach once called one of the players soft as puppy poop), but I would think the best message to the press would be that the team has some things to work on, and then all the specifics are addressed in practice.
                        Where's the accountability? I feel like talking to the press puts more gas under a kid's behind than just talking to the kid. Now the public, the fans know about it. I guess it's my journalism background, but I love a coach that tells the fans/media exactly what he's thinking. Don't beat around the bush. If he's beating around the bush with the media, what's to say he's not going to do it with his team?

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                          Where's the accountability? I feel like talking to the press puts more gas under a kid's behind than just talking to the kid. Now the public, the fans know about it. I guess it's my journalism background, but I love a coach that tells the fans/media exactly what he's thinking. Don't beat around the bush. If he's beating around the bush with the media, what's to say he's not going to do it with his team?
                          For some of the kids, that works. Granted not being able to stand up to that sort of accountability isn't the best sign of a player that will go far in the sport.

However, one other consideration to take into account is that other teams will see this in the press. They will develop a strategy in practice to aim for that weak point that was mentioned in the papers and attempt to expose it to their advantage. If the coach were to say, "One of our players made a bad turnover resulting in that change of pace", the coach is aware of the issue, and you'd have to trust that the issue will be addressed in practice. However, anyone who was not at the game (or didn't see video of the game) will not know which player that was, and won't know who to target, thereby continuing to make it a guessing game for the opposition, and keeping the ball in your team's court.

Comment

I'm pretty much on the fence when it comes to Rand's comments. I don't think a coach should publicly rip a kid all the time, but sometimes it may call for it, if the behind the doors stuff isn't working. I also think Rand should man up and do an interview after the game. It's a lot easier to answer questions before a game rather than after a tough loss, like the Union game. Listening to Riga or Syer or Eddy is fine, but all of their answers are so censored, it's ridiculous.

I'm shocked that no one has brought up the streak's end. 59 games in row without a loss when leading after two periods (54-0-5). That's pretty impressive. But leading 2-1 entering the 3rd against Union Saturday, I didn't have that confident of a feeling that the streak would continue...my pessimism was spot on and we lost a heartbreaker in OT. But all good things have to come to an end and that shouldn't take away from the feat at all.

As for the Union game...Dalsy was obviously upset after he essentially lost the puck and allowed the U forward to walk in on Hartz unmolested. He smashed his stick over the goal, ripped off his chin guard and unlatched his mask in anger before storming past his teammates and into the locker room clearly mad only at himself. At first, I was swearing Dalsy up and down wondering in the direst of circumstances how he could let a puck get away the way he did. But then I put that on the back burner and took a look at the heart this kid's got. The passion he showed, granted in frustration, is what makes me love his play and his style. Dalsy rarely makes the mistake he made Saturday and with the exception of probably Glaics and Davies has been right up there as a top Dman. But I have no doubt in my mind that if that was another player that blatantly lost the game, they would not have shown the same care or passion. There's a hand full of players that make blunders like that on a nightly basis. Hell, Zach Hansen put a shot on our goal late in the third period the other night. It just shows that Dalsy cares. And when the rest of the team goes out and starts drinking at Dicks after a every game, win or lose, I'm sure this won stuck with Dalsy for a while and wasn't easily shrugged off, the way others may have let it. He's a good kid, good heart, which shows in his charitable efforts and you had to feel for him when he saw that puck go in the net.

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
                              As for the Union game...Dalsy was obviously upset after he essentially lost the puck and allowed the U forward to walk in on Hartz unmolested. He smashed his stick over the goal, ripped off his chin guard and unlatched his mask in anger before storming past his teammates and into the locker room clearly mad only at himself. At first, I was swearing Dalsy up and down wondering in the direst of circumstances how he could let a puck get away the way he did. But then I put that on the back burner and took a look at the heart this kid's got. The passion he showed, granted in frustration, is what makes me love his play and his style. Dalsy rarely makes the mistake he made Saturday and with the exception of probably Glaics and Davies has been right up there as a top Dman. But I have no doubt in my mind that if that was another player that blatantly lost the game, they would not have shown the same care or passion. There's a hand full of players that make blunders like that on a nightly basis. Hell, Zach Hansen put a shot on our goal late in the third period the other night. It just shows that Dalsy cares. And when the rest of the team goes out and starts drinking at Dicks after a every game, win or lose, I'm sure this won stuck with Dalsy for a while and wasn't easily shrugged off, the way others may have let it. He's a good kid, good heart, which shows in his charitable efforts and you had to feel for him when he saw that puck go in the net.
                              I've always had respect for your team, but I think hearing this has given me a newfound respect for Dalheusen. I remember chiding him quite a bit when your team was at Houston last year given the number of penalties he had taken and RPI having scored 2 goals during a 4v4 when he was in the box, and by the 4th penalty he was ticked. He's going to be a special player for you guys (and I mean that in a good way), and I fully expect, by his senior year especially if he keeps improving from any mistakes he makes, he'll see an extra letter on his jersey.

I have only seen him play once; has he shown some good improvements since he started? At least according to the team statistics, he looks to be playing a more disciplined game.

Comment

just to correct something that was said in post #391....Chase Polacek is 5'9" & 190lbs, so, being taken out by his check should not be surprising
                                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Working...
                                X