Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would an NHL franchise in Wisconsin effect the Badgers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How would an NHL franchise in Wisconsin effect the Badgers?

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
    Well the AAA teams have won 4 of the last 10 World Series, including the Marlins. I say that again, the Marlins, and I believe they beat the Yankees.
    Marlins = fire sale. Win, then purge. Again, just sayin'. And I hate the *ing Yankees.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
      I've never been tempted to put a quote by someone else in my sig, but after the Phillies win the World Series in 5 games, I will be sure and put this in there.
      I would be honored.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
        What the hell...are you talking about?
        Difference between effect/affect.

He has 25 posts and has wracked up maximum neg rep. Nuff said?
        Or she, let's not be presumptuous.

On the rep thing, though - most of it is on account of a run-in with Red Cloud being a cock when I first joined, and more recently, I got hit when going after the guys who were trolling osorojo. A possible troll getting trolled, and the trolls trolling the troll took me to be a troll. Why I thought it was a good idea to insert myself into that I don't know.

Anyway. I don't try to be a troll. But being an RIT fan, I'm obligated to take shots at Wisco when possible.
        Some say that if you're not taking flak, you're not over the target.

I just wonder why the goal seems to be taking flak.

Comment

Personally, having grown up with Badger hockey and not the NHL, my interest level wouldn't change if Milwaukee got an NHL team. It's a pretty hypothetical question, though, as I don't think Wisconsin would support an NHL team. Madison is too small and it wouldn't draw well enough in Milwaukee over the long haul. I think that an NHL team would certainly draw initial interest from the hockey community in Milwaukee, but a lot of those people are not people that go to college games. Minor league hockey is pretty much the perfect level for Milwaukee (especially the ticket prices), just as college is the perfect level for Madison.

I would, however, like it if the NHL went back to having a few neutral site games here, and think those would do well - as a one-or-two-time thing. My first NHL game was one of the neutral site games in Milwaukee.

Comment

I think a litmus test is Boston, which arguably has more hockey played in and around it than most other U.S cities...when you factor in NHL, AHL, and college. And when you factor in Providence, Lowell, Manchester, and Worcester...which all (to a greater or lesser degree) fall within the orbit of 'Boston.'
            Chris V
            Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Marlins = fire sale. Win, then purge. Again, just sayin'. And I hate the *ing Yankees.
              Well clearly we'll never agree on the whole AL/NL thing, and that's cool. At least we can agree on one thing though. The Yankees are the most loathsome creatures on the planet.
              Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
              2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

I think DU hockey has been certainly helped by the Avalanche's 1995-1996 move from Quebec to Denver. There is a strong crossover between the NHL and the DU fan bases, and the Pioneers picked up a a lot more Avs fans during the NHL lockout a few years ago, and many of them have stayed on. Growing interest in the sport in this area has produced a serious hockey community now, but it's still small relative to other sports. There are also a lot of DU connected people involved with the Avs, and that also helps.

The only problem with the crossover is that many of the pro hockey fans at DU games are simply fans of the sport, and not so much vocal supporters of the Denver team - they aren't emotionally invested in the outcomes as much as they are just enjoying a hockey game. This is particularly true in Denver, where most people at DU games didn't grow up here and find it harder to really engage emotionally with a private school like DU.

I think having an NHL team in Wisconsin would probably help Badger Hockey more than hurt it.

Comment

It would have minimal effect. UW is in Madison, they would be in Milwaukee, pro vs college, 2 completely seperate markets. Most people in Milwaukee don't care about college hockey as the Badger Hockey Showdown (a holiday tourney that was held at the Bradley Center) died; that tells me not very many are treking down I 94 to watch UW games on a regular basis either if they weren't coming to games in their own back yard. Maybe UW would lose a couple hundred fans a game.

FYI....UW averages 13,000 in attendance, the Milwaukee Admirals average 6,000. If Milwaukee ever got a NHL team, UW would still have a higher average attendance. I live an hour from Madison and Milwaukee, and I'd have no interest in going to Milwaukee to see and NHL game.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by nanotiger View Post
                    But being an RIT fan, I'm obligated to take shots at Wisco when possible.
                    I'm not really sure what this is supposed to mean, but she does not speak for all of us. If she feels obligated to take shots at any team RIT has ever played (and or lost to?), she's got a long list of obligations to fill. I can't speak for the other Tiger fans, but I don't feel any sort of deep-seated rivalry or "hatred" towards Wisconsin because of the fact that RIT played them once, ever. And it wasn't even much of a game, at that. It's not like there was an emotional high energy finish that may have left a bad taste in anyone's mouth towards the other team. I wouldn't be surprised if 20 years from now I can't even remember who kicked RIT's butt in that game. The memories we got from last season were the journey to get to that game more than the game itself. If RIT had been able to put up a fight, maybe that would be different. Who knows?
                    Can't we all just get along?
                    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by nanotiger View Post
                      Anyway. I don't try to be a troll. But being an RIT fan, I'm obligated to take shots at Wisco when possible.
                      Awww, dont be bitter just because Bucky crushed your Frozen Four hopes in less than 5 minutes.
                      If it makes you feel any better, a lot of schools have had their postseason hopes crushed by the Badgers, so youre in good company.
                      A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                      Originally posted by MadCityRich
                      He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                      Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                      Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                      "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        FYI....UW averages 13,000 in attendance, the Milwaukee Admirals average 6,000. If Milwaukee ever got a NHL team, UW would still have a higher average attendance. I live an hour from Madison and Milwaukee, and I'd have no interest in going to Milwaukee to see and NHL game.
                        The Ads play in the AHL and no one cares about the AHL. The highest average attendance in the AHL is the Hershey Bears and they average about 9,500 and even the Chicago Wolves only average 8,000. I have a feeling that if the Ads played in a higher-profile league like the NHL the would draw a lot more people.
                        Just my opinion though, Ive accept the fact that Wisconsin will likely never get an NHL franchise and I need to just be thankful for the hockey that we do have in this state. I mean, we do have 2 of the best college hockey programs in the country.
                        He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                        I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                        "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
                          The Ads play in the AHL and no one cares about the AHL. The highest average attendance in the AHL is the Hershey Bears and they average about 9,500 and even the Chicago Wolves only average 8,000. I have a feeling that if the Ads played in a higher-profile league like the NHL the would draw a lot more people.
                          Just my opinion though, Ive accept the fact that Wisconsin will likely never get an NHL franchise and I need to just be thankful for the hockey that we do have in this state. I mean, we do have 2 of the best college hockey programs in the country.
                          It's funny, for a while, the Wolves outdrew the NHL club downtown regularly.

I was downright disappointed in 2006 when I saw the crappy attendance for the Calder Cup championship game. For a chance for Milwaukee to win their second Calder cup, there were barely any people in the building. A group of us from Chicago came up for the game, and we were able to get tickets at the door just a couple rows off the glass.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            It's funny, for a while, the Wolves outdrew the NHL club downtown regularly.

I was downright disappointed in 2006 when I saw the crappy attendance for the Calder Cup championship game. For a chance for Milwaukee to win their second Calder cup, there were barely any people in the building. A group of us from Chicago came up for the game, and we were able to get tickets at the door just a couple rows off the glass.
                            I think part of it is marketing. Ive NEVER see an Admirals ad on TV or heard one on the radio.
                            In comparison, during hockey season its not at all uncommon to see Rockford Icehogs commercials on all the time.
                            Like I said, Im just grateful that we have teams like the Badgers, Admirals, Green Bay Gamblers and Janesville Jets. As much as I may feel like its incomplete without an NHL team, theres lots of good hockey to be seen in this state.

Comment

I personally would love to see it happen, but I know it never would (nor should it really).

I think the Bucks should move to a new city and then a southern NHL club not doing well should move into Milwaukee. I think it would do good because there wouldn't be a pro winter sport in Milwaukee then.

If I become a billionaire (which I plan to), I'll buy the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo and start a new NHL franchise under that nickname.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A HG View Post

If I become a billionaire (which I plan to), I'll buy the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo and start a new NHL franchise under that nickname.
                                Just make sure there's no green in the uni's. I'd hate for there to be any confusion.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X