X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    PP is definitely a problem, hopefully they come up with something. Pryor made that mistake but I still have hopes for him
    really? at the point?

isn't he slower than Liedermark at this point?

speaking of slower.

Gustav did not win a single foot race in Providence, nor did he "stickhandle in a phonebooth" ONCE without having the puck taken away. (2 things he did well against the BU juggernauts 2 years ago, he cannot do against PC lummoxes)
    Joke all you want about his stick being 2 inches too short, something is wrong, something worse than just lace bite.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
      anytime you put up a shutout against any HE team in their own barn as a freshman getting his first shot on the road, its a good thing.
      THANK you....

I can't believe anyone would write this off.

Kid hasn't played a hockey game in nearly two months, making his 2nd ever NCAA start, 1st on the road, against a team who hasn't lost at home yet, makes 32 saves for a shutout, and there's grumblings of...

"well its not like they were good saves...."

Seriously??? Maybe Tim isn't the only one who goalie-crushes. GAH!!
      Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

PP is definitely a problem, hopefully they come up with something. Pryor made that mistake but I still have hopes for him
        Pryor seemed to panic everytime he got the puck, either took a bad shot that was block or made a telegraphed pass. I wouldn't mind seeing Flynn back there with Abbott.

Nice to see wherever he has put Abbott he keeps producing. Was great to see Flynn and Gus Break the slump, hopefully this gets them confidence and they start putting up numbers with the rest of them.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
          I think that Ouellette should play vs. UNH and Sullivan vs. UMass.
          I agree. Play Ouellette first. He has the momentum coming off a shutout.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweeper View Post
            Pryor seemed to panic everytime he got the puck, either took a bad shot that was block or made a telegraphed pass. .
            Let's break this down.

Here's a kid who was selected in the NHL entry draft as a defenseman. He played about 6 games last year and had season ending surgery.

We bring him back... as a sometimes forward?

We don't suit him up until December ... at a time when we have gaping holes to fill defensively.

BUT! This is clearly an opportunity to play him as a forward....

So he hasn't played a game in over 10 months; he's a defenseman we're practicing and playing as a forward. The obvious thing to do is charge him with the duty of pointing the 1st power play unit in his 1st game of the year....

I mean, I might let the kid get his feet wet on the 3rd D-Pairing or the 4th Forward line to get him into some kind of game-speed rhythm

... but who am I to 2nd guess brilliance?

Comment

Originally posted by Howitz-ah View Post
              We bring him back... as a sometimes forward?

We don't suit him up until December ... at a time when we have gaping holes to fill defensively.

So he hasn't played a game in over 10 months; he's a defenseman we're practicing and playing as a forward. The obvious thing to do is charge him with the duty of pointing the 1st power play unit in his 1st game of the year....

I mean, I might let the kid get his feet wet on the 3rd D-Pairing or the 4th Forward line to get him into some kind of game-speed rhythm
              i hope i understood this correctly because i think you contradict yourself a bit (though i may be misreading).... i agree, given how long it's been since he's seen game action, that he shouldn't have been playing the point on the powerplay... i also agree with the decision to get his feet wet by sticking him at a forward spot to reacclimatize to the speed of the game as i personally feel that though he may be a better option on d (eventually), any mistakes he makes while getting used to game-speed would be magnified if they lead to goals.

yeah, he hasn't played since the exh. against acadia, but we don't know if he was cleared to play in games after that, or whether he discovered that he was not ready, physically, to play after that game, etc. that said, i think if he is healthy, the right thing to do is to get him back into games by putting him in a defensive forward role while he gets back into game shape... once he gets there, then add the responsibility of defense-first responsibility... as for the powerplay, he had no business being in that position...

Comment

Did O'Connor play Saturday?

Yeah,aside from the 5 minutes he spent in the bin for something "unsportsmanlike" he allegedly did in a goal-mouth scrum.

I don't like D guys taking penalties for effect-I hated when Prestin did it,too-but this kid skated amazingly well all weekend,played balls-out,and was effective...I like him!

Comment

and there's grumblings of...

"well its not like they were good saves...."
                  and that's why i am getting more and more frustrated with the endless bickering in this thread (and other maine threads)... everyone wants to be the coach, everyone wants to second guess... sully wins 5 straight or whatever it was and we "shouldn't be riding one goalie"... if he had started sirman somewhere in that stretch and he had lost it would have been "we would have won had he stuck with sullivan."

maine is never going 42-1-2 again. tim is not shawn. enjoy the wins, lament the "what might have been" of losses, but at the end of the day, let's watch and talk hockey. no matter what happens, win or lose, someone is always *****ing. it makes coming back to this board less fulfilling... i jumped on this board because there was a group of people on here that loved the college game and loved to talk hockey... lately, everyone thinks they have all the answers... if you really think that, go get your ****ing coaching license and try to make a career out of it... i've played the game for thirty years and i consider myself pretty knowledgeable about the game... as much as if not more than most... and you know what, my teams would get destroyed... too many of us take it as a black and white undertaking, like it's easy, like other teams don't have talent and can't win games.

it's laughable that so many are ready to switch horses mid gallop/annoint ouellette because he shut out providence. look at their schedule to date, they are averaging 3 goals a game against a murderer's row of teams like holy cross (1), uah (2), UML (1), UMA (2), and NU (3), that's 9 of their 16 games to date. What have they done against the top 25? 1-4-1 with 10 goals scored.

let's just watch some hockey and celebrate the wins and talk about the bad breaks (scoring as the buzzer sounds in OT)/bad plays (sully put it on gibbons tape)...

all i am saying is sit back, relax, and enjoy some hockey. maine's going to have nights like friday where (imo) a 3-3 tie with PC is a bad result. it's part of the game. it happens. maine will be fine.

[/end rant]
                  Last edited by gscott13; 12-06-2010, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                    i hope i understood this correctly because i think you contradict yourself a bit (though i may be misreading).... .
                    After reading what you wrote, I don't think you misread. It was kind of an intentionally confusing rant to parralel how confused I felt that he was in that role given the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                      lately, everyone thinks they have all the answers... if you really think that, go get your ****ing coaching license and try to make a career out of it...

...sit back, relax,

Comment

lol... of course, i realize the irony of me, all fired up telling people to relax...
                        Last edited by gscott13; 12-06-2010, 01:23 AM.

Comment

inch has their power rankings up already. maine is third. bc is sixth. sweet, sweet subjectivity.

another interesting bit... Miami doesn't play again until they face Maine in Florida
                          Last edited by gscott13; 12-06-2010, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Taking out Miami would be a nice boost to the ol' PWR,but I've seen a ton of games this year,and I do believe that Maine will likely get in,regardless.For the first time in 3 years,I have confidence!

BC,UNO and MN-Duluth are my darlings this season so far...I would prefer Maine not see any of them in a 1st-round game,but The Warden and I were just tonight discussing the relative merits of Bridgeport and Manchester.(Guess you can get a decent 'tat in either place,though.)

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                              really? at the point?.
                              Originally posted by Sweeper View Post
                              Pryor seemed to panic everytime he got the puck, either took a bad shot that was block or made a telegraphed pass. I wouldn't mind seeing Flynn back there with Abbott.
                              Let's break this down.

Here's a kid who was selected in the NHL entry draft as a defenseman. He played about 6 games last year and had season ending surgery.
                              Maybe he isn't ready to play as of yet but I still have high hopes for him. The kid has been hurt, he has some talent but hasn't been able to get it going mostly because of injury IMHO
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Mahoneys article,
                                http://new.bangordailynews.com/2010/...ds-providence/
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X