X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
    Yep....on the flip side though, some other guys picking up some valuable playing time without a whole lot of damage to the record. When they get back it'll take some time for them to get back in the groove.
    Good points......Maine's light December schedule sure worked in their favor this year!

Comment

Ouellette didn't give up any fat rebounds and only roamed too far from his crease once.Would love to see that trend continue from all Maine goalies.Marty has a quick glove and seems to position himself well.

He wasn't challenged a lot tonight,though,'cause the Maine D took pretty good care of him.The one guy all weekend who made me groan was the veteran Banwell,who made at least three very dumb decisions to lug the puck through the low slot.He was the only D-man that made any obvious bad decisions that I saw.The young D looked very good.

Speaking of:that O'Connor kid was impressive.He's a great skater,confident,smart,and a tad chippy.He never let up,even (especially) when taking on his big brother...All you guys who miss Prestin are gonna like him I think.

Comment

Gus and Flynn are back!!!!!!!!! and our goaltending and defense may have gone from solid to good, YES!, I am signficantly less worried now than I was 24 hrs ago. This team has done this to me all season.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Speaking of:that O'Connor kid was impressive.He's a great skater,confident,smart,and a tad chippy.He never let up,even (especially) when taking on his big brother...All you guys who miss Prestin are gonna like him I think.
          yup
          I absolutely LOVE how he moves.

wait till you see his hip check, he absolutely anihilated someone at the beginning of the season, in open ice.

Comment

alright because you are all just dieing to know what I think...
            first the bad... just to get it out of the way.
            the powerplay needs work, big time... they still cannot get the puck on net from the point (but that should change with Dimmen and ONeill back, but to see Abbott AND NYQUIST hitting shin pads from the point and high slot is pathetic), and they keep overloading the right side with 4 players and nobody on the left, so if a shot goes wide left, it is guarunteed PC puck, they have to post 2 guys down low, one on each side.

now the good.
            I wish you all could have seen the anticipation plays in the third tonight. Maine kept sending a wing up ice in antipation of a pass, and the wing got behind the D and either shot and scored (Abbott, Flynn) or they got around the D and made a nice pass back (Mangene), but they were thinking up ice, rather than dump and chase or "do it all by myself"

there were many plays that were tic tac toe, passes, not crisp tape to tape (yet), but good enough to get behind the really slow PC defensemen.

Mangene looked to pass on a semi breakaway!!! yaaay
            and he passed from behind the net to set up Beattie... the goal was really all Mangene, not to take anything away from Kyle, but it was a great threading of a needle AND mangene LOOKED UP.

The D was solid... this might not be saying much against PC, but they did what they had to do. I do not think that anyone got really close to Ouelette for a shot and a follow up. the D took care of any rebounds that were left.

Fishman mentioned that Banwell tried lugging the puck through the slot, so did Gus and he dropped it too, but it went to Maine (iirc).

I laughed out loud at one play... I have never seen it before.
            The puck was in Maine's offensive zone, VanDyk caught an edge out in the neutral zone (the ice was awful, everyone was falling all over the place, for no apparent reason)... vanDyk did a sort of heels in the air, sideways barrell roll, almost like a cartwheel, looks completely disoriented, gets up, and the puck was on this tape, like that was a set play, and then he passed it to an open man.... maybe you had to see it, but it was hilarious.

Here's hoping the good guys can carry some confidence into Friday's game against whoever it is...but no overconfidence.
            MC lost at home for the first time
            PC lost at home for the first time, Maine does not need to!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Like Jack did.
              you gonna come to a Maine game this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                Ouellette didn't give up any fat rebounds and only roamed too far from his crease once.Would love to see that trend continue from all Maine goalies.Marty has a quick glove and seems to position himself well.

He wasn't challenged a lot tonight,though,'cause the Maine D took pretty good care of him.The one guy all weekend who made me groan was the veteran Banwell,who made at least three very dumb decisions to lug the puck through the low slot.He was the only D-man that made any obvious bad decisions that I saw.The young D looked very good.

Thanks for the info from a fan who was there.

Comment

Did O'Connor play Saturday?
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    ....just a gut feeling but I think we see Ouellette at least once before the Christmas break...either vs PC or UMass....and I don't think it would be disrespecting the PC team if Ouellette played,he's a young and coming goalie,watch and see.....good things are in store for #51. {imo}.
                    Do I hear twice before Christmas break? I want to see him in net at the Alfond!

Comment

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
                      Do I hear twice before Christmas break? I want to see him in net at the Alfond!
                      UNH next weekend !

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Nice win for Maine, great Shutout for Martin, wish it was 4 points but 3 on the road is ok. Need a PP to beat UNH, looks like we might have a goalie
                        So I guess we won't be hearing the calls for a rotation anymore?
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          So I guess we won't be hearing the calls for a rotation anymore?
                          No, Sully needs to play and he needs to play next weekend

Comment

Perfect opportunity to rotate next weekend. Sully against UHN and Martin against UMass. He has earned another look, for the time being Sirman is the odd man out. Be interesting to see how the coaching staff handles it this weekend. UMA would be a gradual step up for Martin in terms of seeing the puck....good chance to progress him and buld more confidence.
                            Last edited by acs64; 12-05-2010, 08:07 AM.
                            I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                              Perfect opportunity to rotate next weekend. Sully against UHN and Martin against UMass. He has earned another look, for the time being Sirman is the odd man out. Be interesting to see how the coaching staff handles it this weekend. UMA would be a gradual step up for Martin in terms of seeing the puck....good chance to progress him and buld more confidence.
                              My thoughts exactly. Sully has a bit more expereince, Alfond is going to be sold out and rockin' friday night, similar to UND series so go with him on friday and let Martin go on Sunday

Comment

Sully needs to play, sully has made a million more good saves than Ouelette did.

Martin was NOT tested last night, the D was solid and PC never got in close for great chances.

Let's not be to hasty. This shut out was a lot like Willy vs. UVM. He was solid and he did what he was called on to do, but I saw NO Jimmy Howard in him last night, no magically being exactly where the shots were going to be, before the puck was released.

Heck the greatest moment Martin had last night was when a puck bounced in from around the red line took a really odd carom, up in the air and martin grabbed it with his catcher.

Comment

Working...
                                X