X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
    If you build it, they will come !! You see, therein lies the problem. Who wants 'em

Oh yeah, it will get built. It has to. Its the ole pay me now or pay me later. As much as the love of bounceyball has a long history in that area, its kind of ludicrous that that old goliath hasnt been replaced yet. If the city of Bangor wants to maintain its 'position' asthe hub of that area, they have no choice. Make it immediately available to hockey, though, is an optional choice....I can see why they will make it hockey capable instead of hockey ready with money being tight.
    The city of Bangor might want to remain the hub (whatever that means) of the area, the local politicians also might want it to, but I'm not sure the taxpayers living there care much one way or the other about it. Why should they, when most of them have plenty to worry about just paying for their mortgage and heating bill and taxes, and if Bangor's not the hub of eastern Maine, then what city is waiting in the wings to take over as the "hub?" The current building is old and outdated and should probably be torn down pretty soon anyway, but I think that life in eastern Maine will go on just fine without any large auditorium, at least from the perspective of most people who live here. I'd love to see a new auditorium, and if the mortgage payments were to be shared by the whole surrounding area instead of just Bangor taxpayers, or if there were a sports franchise that wanted to play here so bad they'd put up the money to build it, maybe it could get done, but I just don't see the citizens of Bangor signing up for this big of a mortgage payment during these economic times.

Comment

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
      The city of Bangor might want to remain the hub (whatever that means) of the area, the local politicians also might want it to, but I'm not sure the taxpayers living there care much one way or the other about it. Why should they, when most of them have plenty to worry about just paying for their mortgage and heating bill and taxes, and if Bangor's not the hub of eastern Maine, then what city is waiting in the wings to take over as the "hub?" The current building is old and outdated and should probably be torn down pretty soon anyway, but I think that life in eastern Maine will go on just fine without any large auditorium, at least from the perspective of most people who live here. I'd love to see a new auditorium, and if the mortgage payments were to be shared by the whole surrounding area instead of just Bangor taxpayers, or if there were a sports franchise that wanted to play here so bad they'd put up the money to build it, maybe it could get done, but I just don't see the citizens of Bangor signing up for this big of a mortgage payment during these economic times.
      Actually, now that I give it some thought, the best of all answers I think is to make it a statewide thing. Since we have the north vs the south and neither wanting to help the other, and on top of that so many outlying areas and regions that would benefit from fine new auditoriums, why not do this. Put it on a state referendum for the entire state to build 2 new facilities...one in Bangor for bounceyball and concerts and civic type things, the other in Portland for bounceyball, hockey, concerts , yahddah yahdday. Scale them up appropiately by population and other factors and give the entire state what it needs and really wants. So the state and its taxpayers puts up 200 million dollars for upgrades to the Bangor Aud and CCCC at the same time. Bangor gets bouncey ball in a nice faiclity, Portland gets SanDiegos long awaited NCAA hawkey regionals. Win-Win! Phk the roads and bridges.
      Last edited by acs64; 11-27-2010, 02:14 PM.
      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

I don't see how a 60 million building can be sustained by 10 days of BBall in febuary. Especially if they play Cimbolek ball
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          I don't see how a 60 million building can be sustained by 10 days of BBall in febuary. Especially if they play Cimbolek ball
          Oh Phercrissakes Wally, alwayz such a stick in the mud you are.
          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

You don't know what a "hub" is???

Bangor taxpayers better be thankful that they are the hub for a large region. It's what has lowered your taxes!.......where do you think your taxes would be without drawing people to the city for shopping, gambling, the fair, basketball tournaments and concerts????

I love how you speak for all Bangor and Eastern Maine residents..........

The mortgage payment is being paid by Hollywood Slots......why can't you get that through your head???

Comment

Is that the only event that will be held at a new arena?

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                Is that the only event that will be held at a new arena?
                Yes, it will be empty the other 50 weeks of the year because thats how Bob wants it

Comment

Yes, it will be empty the other 50 weeks of the year because thats how Bob wants it
                  You are definitely right about that! Bob's ego knows no bounds!

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    Hey lets get's some hockey talk going again....Merrimack beat BC last night 5-3....crazy Hockey East as usual. I have a feeling Maine better be ready for next's weekend trip to Providence,hopefully some time off will heal the sting of the BC weekend.....time to start another winning streak.
                    Definitely! And yes, they better be ready for Providence. Beaudry is just another link in our (Hockey East) chain of goalies, and I would put our group up against any other conference out there and feel awfully confident!

I think this was perfect timing for a weekend off. Let some of the minor scrapes and bruises heal up; related- this makes for 1 or 2 games less missing Dimmen and O'Neill.

Mentally, you get some time to reflect and catch up with yourselves. You know you can score, you know you can beat good teams, and this is extra time to take something from the B.C. series and grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
                      Thought you might want to know that a new Tim Hortons opened in Lincoln this past week.
                      36 were closed throughout new england recently

Comment

http://www.pbn.com/Forbes-Rhode-Isla...usiness-,53084
                        Based on Rhode Island, though only article I could find mentioning that Maine is THE WORST state in the U.S. for business and careers.

Comment

You don't know what a "hub" is???

Bangor taxpayers better be thankful that they are the hub for a large region. It's what has lowered your taxes!.......where do you think your taxes would be without drawing people to the city for shopping, gambling, the fair, basketball tournaments and concerts????

I love how you speak for all Bangor and Eastern Maine residents..........

The mortgage payment is being paid by Hollywood Slots......why can't you get that through your head???
                          Yes, I do know what a hub is. By saying "whatever that means," I was questioning him saying "the city of Bangor wants..." because the city of Bangor doesn't think anything or want anything at all. It's the politicians and the people of Bangor who want things and think things and pay for things.

Bangor will always be the hub of eastern Maine and is in absolutely no danger of losing that status if this arena is not built. What other nearby city do you see as a likely successor to Bangor's "hubship" if this project doesn't get built?

Lowered taxes?! Bangor real estate tax rates aren't significantly different than the taxes in surrounding towns so I'm not sure what point you're hoping to make by bringing this up. Mil rates are actually lower in some of the surrounding towns, and since Bangor real estate tends to be worth equal or more, taxes paid on a similar property often are actually higher. Apparently the additional infrastructure to support these Bangor businesses you mention costs more than the additional taxes paid by them, so the typical homeowner sees no benefit when he gets his tax bill.

I don't claim to speak for all Bangor residents, but I do know what I hear on the streets (of Bangor, not San Diego) and not too many local people are in favor of this.

There is NO guarantee that Hollywood Slots revenue stream will be able to pay for the cost of building this arena, let alone the costs of maintaining and operating it, so Bangor taxpayers will be the ones left holding the bag for all these costs. I can understand why you are very willing to accept the idea of HS paying for this from 3000 miles away, but you might feel differently if you knew that any blip in the HS revenue stream would mean a property tax hike that you simply can't afford.

Comment

There is NO guarantee that Hollywood Slots revenue stream will be able to pay for the cost of building this arena, let alone the costs of maintaining and operating it, so Bangor taxpayers will be the ones left holding the bag for all these costs. I can understand why you are very willing to accept the idea of HS paying for this from 3000 miles away, but you might feel differently if you knew that any blip in the HS revenue stream would mean a property tax hike that you simply can't afford.
                            You can try and get digs in on me as much as you want for me living in San Diego.......but I have strong ties to Maine and pay taxes in Maine so enough with the Cali drivel. I am not a taxpayer in Bangor and I don't blame people for being concerned about their taxes. Everyone in Maine is overtaxed! But this whole Hollywood Slots and their revenue stream will not be there in years is complete B.S.! The Bangor Mall is more likely to close in the next 5 years than Hollywood Slots is!!! Maybe the Earth won't be around in 5 years........does that mean that we should all just huddle in a cave and wait for the world to end? Gimme a break.......this arena has been studied to death and delayed almost as much as the Red Sox championship drought. I'm more inclined to believe those that have carefully seen this project to the brink of fruition (this has been a VERY transparent and LONG process).......than to listen to more of the same old, same old........the whiners that complain, complain, complain about high taxes, no jobs, too much welfare.......and then try to obstruct every project that comes along.
                            Last edited by sandiegoblkbr; 11-28-2010, 02:52 PM.

Comment

.......the whiners that complain, complain, complain about high taxes, no jobs, too much welfare.......and then try to obstruct every project that comes along.
                              Who the heck on here is trying to obstruct this particular project anyway. Maybe you're talking about the Hated Bob, isn't it his right as a taxpayer to try to stop something he doesn't want, isn't that the American way?

Comment

Who the heck on here is trying to obstruct this particular project anyway. Maybe you're talking about the Hated Bob, isn't it his right as a taxpayer to try to stop something he doesn't want, isn't that the American way?
                                Sure......and it's DEFINITELY the Maine way! It's gotten the state real far.......wouldn't you say?

Comment

Working...
                                X