X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    ...Guts...Maybe NOT...just common Hockey sense...and wins are wins...ugly/lucky whatever they go in the W column for the team as well as it goes to the oppositions column...but then what do I know..? Your the Know it All.
    instead of knee-jerk reacting and "disagreeing" with me, perhaps you might have read what I wrote, and realized that we completely agree... playing position is common sense, but not the Timmy way.

I spoke with Muse after today's game and he apologized after I told him about all of the Frozen Fours that Tim had been to prior to Muse's arrival at BC... he apologized for the shut out and the sweep and said that if he HAD known about the frozen fours, he would have personally seen to it that Maine would have won at least one game this weekend.

See, all those Frozen Fours really DO matter.

Comment

The upside is that Maine will not be playing John Muse every game. Maine actually outshot BC in every period. The goals will come. With Muse having two national championships under his belt, many teams are going to have trouble against BC.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        The upside is that Maine will not be playing John Muse every game. Maine actually outshot BC in every period. The goals will come. With Muse having two national championships under his belt, many teams are going to have trouble against BC.
        Perhaps true, and yes John Muse is absolutely on fire this year and made some nice saves this weekend, but a lot of those numbers were not high quality scoring chances this weekend either. They helped him out statistically by dumping it at his chest probably 10 or more times this weekend.

All in all, BC kept Maine to the perimeter pretty well this weekend and any rebounds were picked up by BC defensemen or forwards that were helping out on defense. SOG sometimes is misleading, I worry about Grade A scoring chances more than SOG.

Just my two cents.
        Originally posted by reBlur
        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          The upside is that Maine will not be playing John Muse every game. Maine actually outshot BC in every period. The goals will come.
          A good portion of those shots were perimeter shots. BC let Maine shoot all afternoon from low percentage areas and gave Maine very few sniffs in the high percentage areas. Muse was good his defense was even better the shots on goal are pretty misleading from today's game. The goals will come if they can fix the PP because it appears this team will be one dimensional on offense just like last year PP or bust.

Comment

No need to spend much time analyzing this team...they're fine based on todays game. I really like the way Maine handles themselves and controls the tempo of the game for the most part. Without Dimmen and O'Neil out there, you cant even waste time thinking about the powerplay.....they are the guys who make it go....BC had some bounces go their way, as they always do it seems at Conte, but Sullivans a very solid goalie. I wuz worried he might be one of those touchy feely pussified goalies....hes not. Gonna be a great one before he's taken away after his junior year.
            Last edited by acs64; 11-21-2010, 06:39 PM.
            I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
              I spoke with Muse after today's game and he apologized after I told him about all of the Frozen Fours that Tim had been to prior to Muse's arrival at BC... he apologized for the shut out and the sweep and said that if he HAD known about the frozen fours, he would have personally seen to it that Maine would have won at least one game this weekend.

What does that have to do with the price of a potato at Alfond?

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

So Tim makes himself the King of reactionary coaching by making this a one-horse-race by late October......and so many here seemed OK with the ride him 'til he dies approach to handling the goalies...

Then Dan gives up 4 goals on 18 shots and is pulled in the 3rd period Friday -- and everyone, apparently Tim included, still wanted Sully out there again Sunday.

I'm not saying: 'that's the wrong move, don't give him a chance at turning it around.' In a normal coaching scenerio, you want to inspire confidence at a position like that. (something he's clearly doing well at with the other two....)

But if you're going to subscribe to lunacy, at least stay the course! Everyone says 'go with the hot hand'. Sully gets pulled from Friday and Sirman comes in and saves the 6 he faces. Can't argue that you want Sullivan for his hot hand at that point. If you actually subscribed to that philosophy, you'd give Shawn a start.

So everyone either has no confidence in Sirman, as I eluded to, or theyre just bigger flip floppers than John Kerry

Win/Loss aside, because no goalie can win without offense...but he got his start Friday, and he got his chance at redemption Sunday after getting pulled and walked away with a .829 SavePct. for the weekend.

My point is....what can I expect the excuses to be to not give someone else just ONE LOOK at Providence?? Am I seriously still the only one who is thoroughly questioning how this is being handled?

Don't go blaming the defense. That ragtag crew only allowed an extremely respectable 47 shots on the weekend.
                Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Howitz-ah View Post
                  So Tim makes himself the King of reactionary coaching by making this a one-horse-race by late October......and so many here seemed OK with the ride him 'til he dies approach to handling the goalies...

Then Dan gives up 4 goals on 18 shots and is pulled in the 3rd period Friday -- and everyone, apparently Tim included, still wanted Sully out there again Sunday.

I'm not saying: 'that's the wrong move, don't give him a chance at turning it around.' In a normal coaching scenerio, you want to inspire confidence at a position like that. (something he's clearly doing well at with the other two....)

But if you're going to subscribe to lunacy, at least stay the course! Everyone says 'go with the hot hand'. Sully gets pulled from Friday and Sirman comes in and saves the 6 he faces. Can't argue that you want Sullivan for his hot hand at that point. If you actually subscribed to that philosophy, you'd give Shawn a start.

So everyone either has no confidence in Sirman, as I eluded to, or theyre just bigger flip floppers than John Kerry

Win/Loss aside, because no goalie can win without offense...but he got his start Friday, and he got his chance at redemption Sunday after getting pulled and walked away with a .829 SavePct. for the weekend.

My point is....what can I expect the excuses to be to not give someone else just ONE LOOK at Providence?? Am I seriously still the only one who is thoroughly questioning how this is being handled?

Don't go blaming the defense. That ragtag crew only allowed an extremely respectable 47 shots on the weekend.
                  it's gotta suck for the goalies knowing that for the first time in their lives they will not have defensemen knocking the tar out of opponents who go near their creases... and NOT having a defenseman stand up for them when they get snowed with an inch thick layer by BC during a close game.

he took about an inch of snow off his jersey and face one one play.. no unsportsman like was called and no D threw that guy into next week (and I can garuntee matching minors would have been called after such a snowing).

but we don't play like that at Maine

Comment

recap with mini-gallery is now up - http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2010/11/...weep-of-maine/

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                    HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                    HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

it's gotta suck for the goalies knowing that for the first time in their lives they will not have defensemen knocking the tar out of opponents who go near their creases... and NOT having a defenseman stand up for them when they get snowed with an inch thick layer by BC during a close game.

he took about an inch of snow off his jersey and face one one play.. no unsportsman like was called and no D threw that guy into next week (and I can garuntee matching minors would have been called after such a snowing).

but we don't play like that at Maine
                      Yes - this is where I would like to see Mike Cornell take his contribution up to the next level. He does a great job playing bigger than he is already - he's not afraid to play physical and he seems like a strong, passionate kid. I've advocated for him here before, and I hate when Tim has him playing forward. I think he's a growing asset defensively.

The other guy I am turning to in the coming month is Mike Banwell. He's always a quietly efficient guy who is above serviceable in most areas of D, but he needs to step up to the forefront and take a leadership role on the ice in their absence.

Both Rutt and Gingras are 6'2'' boys -- Rutt has a good hockey frame for his age, and could easily bulk comfortably over 200 lbs. That size on top of their talents will be a welcome addition next year.
                      Last edited by Howitz-ah; 11-21-2010, 10:54 PM.
                      Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

Snow showers happen all the time by every team, however, I was surprised to see no reaction from any Black Bear.

Curious as to how each Maine fan would rank the goalies. I've seen people talk about Ouellette, know Sirman from last season and saw Sullivan this weekend. Thought Sullivan looked pretty good today. What is it that you guys want? A rotation? A three man rotation?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Snow showers happen all the time by every team, however, I was surprised to see no reaction from any Black Bear.

Curious as to how each Maine fan would rank the goalies. I've seen people talk about Ouellette, know Sirman from last season and saw Sullivan this weekend. Thought Sullivan looked pretty good today. What is it that you guys want? A rotation? A three man rotation?
                          They just want to criticize Whitehead; having a winning record irritates some of them.
                          Last edited by mwade; 11-22-2010, 12:50 AM. Reason: added "some of" as there are some Maine fans posting that are not filled with an irrational hatred of the coach.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                          HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                          HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

instead of knee-jerk reacting and "disagreeing" with me, perhaps you might have read what I wrote, and realized that we completely agree... playing position is common sense, but not the Timmy way.

mumble/jumble...thats all you have...since the Denver trip if I can recall....

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                              They just want to criticize Whitehead; having a winning record irritates some of them.
                              Not REALLY.

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                                I doubt a winning record irritates anyone but getting spanked at BC certainly does
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X